Lloyd Honeyghan

SticknMove
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Re: Lloyd Honeyghan

Post by SticknMove »

The bell went ding and Lloyd went dong. ;-)
bigjack
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by bigjack »

SticknMove wrote: 27 May 2018, 14:16 The bell went ding and Lloyd went dong. ;-)
Did Harry Carpenter say that on the night ,i've heard it said before ?
banjo
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by banjo »

I thought it was Lloyd himself who said it
SticknMove
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by SticknMove »

bigjack wrote: 27 May 2018, 14:37
SticknMove wrote: 27 May 2018, 14:16 The bell went ding and Lloyd went dong. ;-)
Lloyd himself said it in the post fight interview. Great line.
Deserter
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Deserter »

I don't get paid for no overtime!! :TU:
bigjack
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by bigjack »

SticknMove wrote: 27 May 2018, 14:40
bigjack wrote: 27 May 2018, 14:37
Great times the 80's when world title fights were free to watch,in fact all boxing .
Old bones Ian
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Old bones Ian »

Saw that Johnny Bumphus died the other day , looks like a heart attack.
Johnny was one of those unlucky boxers to get selected for the Olympics only for the USA to boycott the Moscow games.
As a pro he won a world title becoming Lou Duvas first world champ, lost it in his first defense to Gene Hatcher, a big upset.
Both Hatcher and Bumphus would go on to lose early to Honeyghan in challenges for the welter titles.

Bumphus looked on weak legs in the Honeyghan fight right from the off and that was his last fight, a short while later he was diagnosed with an equilibrium problem and retired at 27, life wasn't too kind to Bumphus in retirement with drug and health issues.
He managed to kick the drugs in the end
bennie
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by bennie »

Didn't know Johnny Bumphus had died. The man was a beautiful boxer from the southpaw stance and looked destined for greatness in his early career but his chin let him down when he stepped up and he lacked discipline outside the ring (along with his stablemate, Rocky Lockridge). Bumphus also lacked the right temperament, acting like a spoilt child when the referee stopped his fight with Hatcher, flailing away at the new champion like he was on something, which he almost certainly was. He was about to do the same to Honeyghan when the referee stopped their fight in London in 1987 but Lou Duva, who usually loved a post-fight scrap, grabbed his fighter's arm and pulled him back.
THEBUTCH
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by THEBUTCH »

Make no mistake Honeyghan's success was no accident. He worked very hard, had talent, physical ability and got off to a great start by learning the game at Fisher ABC.

ABA title, Southern Area, British, Commonwealth, European and wrenching the undisputed world title from a man considered by some as the best boxer on the planet. I used to be mesmerised watching Donald curry's pinpoint accuracy. And Lloyd's win over Curry defied belief.

Honeghan's record is littered with highly respected names you would expect a great boxer to have faced. The Hatcher win was stupendous. Also, well done to the poster for bringing the Rosi knockout to everyone's attention again. A great, great win !

This career and the success attained can't go without mentioning Mickey Duff.
bripez
Light Heavyweight

Post by bripez »

bigjack wrote: 27 May 2018, 15:11
SticknMove wrote: 27 May 2018, 14:40
Great times the 80's when world title fights were free to watch,in fact all boxing .
I agree - if I remember correctly the Honeyghan / Curry fight was shown on tv on a Sunday afternoon
bigjack
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by bigjack »

bripez wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 09:26
bigjack wrote: 27 May 2018, 15:11

I agree - if I remember correctly the Honeyghan / Curry fight was shown on tv on a Sunday afternoon
i think it was yes,lots of big fights were shown on the Sunday morning or afternoon
Stobbo
Bantamweight

Post by Stobbo »

I met Lloyd when he was at the Northern Area ABAs a few years ago now. Shook his hand and he signed my program. There were people round him all night and he had time for everyone. Can't speak highly enough of the man.
bripez
Light Heavyweight

Post by bripez »

bigjack wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 10:31
bripez wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 09:26

i think it was yes,lots of big fights were shown on the Sunday morning or afternoon
Yeah a Bruno fight was on in the Sunday Morning as I watched it after doing my paper round - I Told the shopkeeper to not tell me the result

I remember the Honeyghan fight as we used to go to my aunties house on Sunday afternoons and I watched it there!

Feeling old now!
bigjack
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by bigjack »

bripez wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 13:28
bigjack wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 10:31

Yeah a Bruno fight was on in the Sunday Morning as I watched it after doing my paper round - I Told the shopkeeper to not tell me the result

I remember the Honeyghan fight as we used to go to my aunties house on Sunday afternoons and I watched it there!

Feeling old now!
Was that Bruno v Witherspoon? I went to that at the old Wembley Stadium
bripez
Light Heavyweight

Post by bripez »

bigjack wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 13:59
bripez wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 13:28

Feeling old now!
Thats the one - I actually bumped into my grandad on my round and he shouted the result to me (it was like something out of the Likely Lads!)
Old bones Ian
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Old bones Ian »

bennie wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 03:49 Didn't know Johnny Bumphus had died. The man was a beautiful boxer from the southpaw stance and looked destined for greatness in his early career but his chin let him down when he stepped up and he lacked discipline outside the ring (along with his stablemate, Rocky Lockridge). Bumphus also lacked the right temperament, acting like a spoilt child when the referee stopped his fight with Hatcher, flailing away at the new champion like he was on something, which he almost certainly was. He was about to do the same to Honeyghan when the referee stopped their fight in London in 1987 but Lou Duva, who usually loved a post-fight scrap, grabbed his fighter's arm and pulled him back.
I think Bumphus and Lockridge fought as amateurs.
olij999
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by olij999 »

THEBUTCH wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 05:20 Make no mistake Honeyghan's success was no accident. He worked very hard, had talent, physical ability and got off to a great start by learning the game at Fisher ABC.

ABA title, Southern Area, British, Commonwealth, European and wrenching the undisputed world title from a man considered by some as the best boxer on the planet. I used to be mesmerised watching Donald curry's pinpoint accuracy. And Lloyd's win over Curry defied belief.

Honeghan's record is littered with highly respected names you would expect a great boxer to have faced. The Hatcher win was stupendous. Also, well done to the poster for bringing the Rosi knockout to everyone's attention again. A great, great win !

This career and the success attained can't go without mentioning Mickey Duff.
Lloyd definitely had an amazing career, but a small clarification - he didn't win the senior ABAs.
Coco
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Coco »

London ABA champ
THEBUTCH
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by THEBUTCH »

Well bugger me with a fish fork !

Memory let me down, thanks for setting the record straight chaps :TU:

London ABA champ still noteworthy. I wouldn't be surprised if Lloyd had boxed as many as 5 times in winning the London final. It's quite possible he boxed 3 times in one day just to win the South East division title.
bennie
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by bennie »

Honeyghan won the London ABA title in 1979 but was narrowly outscored in the ABA quarter-finals at Gloucester by Liverpool banger Joey Frost, in a bout in which both men were down. Frost went on to win the ABA title (in 15 seconds) and box in the Moscow Olympics.
Honeyghan tried his luck again in 1980 but lost a tight one to Gunther Roomes in the divs and turned pro later that year.
milpool
Super Middleweight

Post by milpool »

bripez wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 14:49
bigjack wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 13:59

Thats the one - I actually bumped into my grandad on my round and he shouted the result to me (it was like something out of the Likely Lads!)
IIRC, they had it on on the Sunday morning and repeated it on the Sunday evening. I went round to my mates house to ask if he was playing out on the Sunday night and he told me he was stopping in to watch the boxing. Like the complete snide I am and having watched it in the morning, I told him not to bother as Bruno got beat.
He actually thought the Sunday night showing was live!
bripez
Light Heavyweight

Post by bripez »

Both Honeygan and Bruno wore maroon velour shorts.

I thought they were good at the time but you don’t see velour shorts these days!
THEBUTCH
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by THEBUTCH »

English Light heavyweight champion Dan Azeez wears similar shorts.
Coco
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Coco »

Velvet shorts look really smart but they are really heavy to wear