Page 1 of 3

Hearn: If No Wilder - Then Joshua Faces Usyk, Pulev and Others

Posted: 28 Mar 2019, 08:23
by Enlightened-One
"Hearn: If No Wilder - Then Joshua Faces Usyk, Pulev and Others"

Eddie Hearn, promoter for IBF, IBO, WBA, WBO heavyweight world champion Anthony Joshua, expects his boxer to stay very busy with mandatory orders - unless a deal is struck for a full division unification with WBC champion Deontay Wilder.

In terms of mandatory defenses, the WBO will come against Oleksandr Usyk, the IBF has Kubrat Pulev, and then the WBA mandatory will get designated at some point.

"WBO with Usyk, IBF with Pulev is after the WBO mandatory, and then there would be a WBA mandatory, which is not set yet. So [Joshua] is going to have a logjam of mandatories. So after Miller, he’s either going to fight Wilder or another fight or, more likely, Usyk," Hearn said.

"AJ’s fight with Wilder may not be a unification bout if it doesn’t happen this year. If he fights the undisputed fight then he’s got to fight Usyk after. Then he’s got to fight Pulev as another mandatory after that. And then he’s got to fight the WBA one. So that’s when you get into the realms of, are we vacating a belt here? [Wladimir] Klitschko never vacated a belt, but he got criticised because of the mandatories that were put in front of him – was it Tony Thompson he fought twice?"


Thoughts? :-?

Re: Hearn: If No Wilder - Then Joshua Faces Usyk, Pulev and Others

Posted: 28 Mar 2019, 08:25
by Enlightened-One
So assuming Joshua-Wilder isn’t agreed this year, after the Miller bout, AJ will likely face Usyk first and then Pulev.

Re: Hearn: If No Wilder - Then Joshua Faces Usyk, Pulev and Others

Posted: 28 Mar 2019, 08:31
by tiny_acres
Enlightened-One wrote: ↑28 Mar 2019, 08:25 So assuming Joshua-Wilder isn’t agreed this year, after the Miller bout, AJ will likely face Usyk first and then Pulev.
I don't see Joshua vs Usyk until late next year.
That fight needs to build up. It will be huge if Usyk can get some heavyweight exposure

Re: Hearn: If No Wilder - Then Joshua Faces Usyk, Pulev and Others

Posted: 28 Mar 2019, 08:38
by marvelous marv
Joshua is all about low risk. Zero chance he fights Usyk before Wilder.

Re: Hearn: If No Wilder - Then Joshua Faces Usyk, Pulev and Others

Posted: 28 Mar 2019, 08:45
by Enlightened-One
tiny_acres wrote: ↑28 Mar 2019, 08:31
Enlightened-One wrote: ↑28 Mar 2019, 08:25 So assuming Joshua-Wilder isn’t agreed this year, after the Miller bout, AJ will likely face Usyk first and then Pulev.
I don't see Joshua vs Usyk until late next year.
That fight needs to build up. It will be huge if Usyk can get some heavyweight exposure
AJ-Usyk will be huge for hard-core boxing aficionados, but not for mainstream casuals. I don’t know if Oleksandr’s popularity can grow much more than it already has done, since his fighting style is an acquired taste (it’s only really suited to the educated pallet of knowledgeable fans), and nor does he speak English very well.

The WBO is AJ’s next mandatory, after Miller, so if Usyk refrains from exploiting his ‘Super champion’ status, by declining a shot at AJ later on this year, then Dillian Whyte will probably replace him as Joshua’s mandated opponent.

The thing is... Eddie Hearn went out of his way to exclude Dillian Whyte from AJ's list of potential opponents. And there must be a reason for that. Perhaps 'The Body Snatcher' will soon link-up with the PBC or ESPN, rather than DAZN?

Re: Hearn: If No Wilder - Then Joshua Faces Usyk, Pulev and Others

Posted: 28 Mar 2019, 08:59
by marvelous marv
Whyte is waiting 2 weeks for WBC to rule on his mandatory status.

Re: Hearn: If No Wilder - Then Joshua Faces Usyk, Pulev and Others

Posted: 28 Mar 2019, 09:19
by Enlightened-One
marvelous marv wrote: ↑28 Mar 2019, 08:59 Whyte is waiting 2 weeks for WBC to rule on his mandatory status.
Dominic Breazeale is Deontay Wilder’s mandatory.

‘The Bronze Bomber’ was allowed to continuously engage in voluntary defences for almost three years until he performed his first mandatory defence.

Wilder has since gone 18 months until he’s due to perform his second mandatory defence, against Dominic Breazeale.

Even if Dillian Whyte is installed as Wilder’s next mandatory challenger and assuming he doesn’t become a PBC fighter, he may not receive his mandated title shot until 2021.

Re: Hearn: If No Wilder - Then Joshua Faces Usyk, Pulev and Others

Posted: 28 Mar 2019, 09:35
by Contendeh
If Joshua beats Usyk and Usyk has only a fight or two at Heavy prior to that fight it becomes far less significant as one could always argue that Usyk was, at best, rushed or, at worst, just not good enough and everyone controlling things knew it.

When it comes to Joshua v Wilder, if it doesn’t get done soon something is going to happen that is going to greatly diminish it, which would be terrible because I think boxing needs it, the fans deserve it and it could be a long time before things work out for the division to have a fight with this kind of potential happen again.

Re: Hearn: If No Wilder - Then Joshua Faces Usyk, Pulev and Others

Posted: 28 Mar 2019, 09:53
by The Asleep Lamps
I blame Eddie Hearn. I just decided I'm not picking up DAZN for even a month until we have one undisputed heavyweight champion. :salut:

Re: Hearn: If No Wilder - Then Joshua Faces Usyk, Pulev and Others

Posted: 28 Mar 2019, 10:26
by SenorPipino
The Asleep Lamps wrote: ↑28 Mar 2019, 09:53 I blame Eddie Hearn. I just decided I'm not picking up DAZN for even a month until we have one undisputed heavyweight champion. :salut:

DAZN may no longer be in business before that happens.

Re: Hearn: If No Wilder - Then Joshua Faces Usyk, Pulev and Others

Posted: 28 Mar 2019, 10:48
by Rob3_142
The Asleep Lamps wrote: ↑28 Mar 2019, 09:53 I blame Eddie Hearn. I just decided I'm not picking up DAZN for even a month until we have one undisputed heavyweight champion. :salut:
What on earth are you blaming Eddie Hearn for?

Re: Hearn: If No Wilder - Then Joshua Faces Usyk, Pulev and Others

Posted: 28 Mar 2019, 10:50
by Rob3_142
marvelous marv wrote: ↑28 Mar 2019, 08:38 Joshua is all about low risk. Zero chance he fights Usyk before Wilder.
If Joshua is all about low risk, what does that make Wilder?

After the Miller fight, that will be 4 out of the current top 10 he has fought, as well as Klitschko who has since retired.

Re: Hearn: If No Wilder - Then Joshua Faces Usyk, Pulev and Others

Posted: 28 Mar 2019, 10:54
by Rob3_142
I'm happy with this route. It's up to the ABC rankings to serve up the right opposition for their champions. This is of course as long as negotiations are ongoing in the background for unification with Wilder [or maybe Fury].

Usyk, Pulev and [insert WBA mandatory here] are satisfactory opposition. Outside of these, there isn't a great deal to pick from!

Re: Hearn: If No Wilder - Then Joshua Faces Usyk, Pulev and Others

Posted: 28 Mar 2019, 11:30
by The Asleep Lamps
Rob3_142 wrote: ↑28 Mar 2019, 10:48
The Asleep Lamps wrote: ↑28 Mar 2019, 09:53 I blame Eddie Hearn. I just decided I'm not picking up DAZN for even a month until we have one undisputed heavyweight champion. :salut:
What on earth are you blaming Eddie Hearn for?
That we don't have one, recognized heavyweight champion. Now they are going to strip Joshua if he cannot fulfill all these mandatories.

Re: Hearn: If No Wilder - Then Joshua Faces Usyk, Pulev and Others

Posted: 28 Mar 2019, 11:37
by Rob3_142
The Asleep Lamps wrote: ↑28 Mar 2019, 11:30
Rob3_142 wrote: ↑28 Mar 2019, 10:48
The Asleep Lamps wrote: ↑28 Mar 2019, 09:53 I blame Eddie Hearn. I just decided I'm not picking up DAZN for even a month until we have one undisputed heavyweight champion. :salut:
What on earth are you blaming Eddie Hearn for?
That we don't have one, recognized heavyweight champion. Now they are going to strip Joshua if he cannot fulfill all these mandatories.
Hahaha!

He's got 3 of the 4 belts, and he's trying to tie down Wilder for the 4th! What else can he do?

I think you're jumping the gun here. It's quite unlikely that Joshua will be stripped anytime soon.

Re: Hearn: If No Wilder - Then Joshua Faces Usyk, Pulev and Others

Posted: 28 Mar 2019, 11:41
by The Asleep Lamps
Rob3_142 wrote: ↑28 Mar 2019, 11:37
The Asleep Lamps wrote: ↑28 Mar 2019, 11:30
Rob3_142 wrote: ↑28 Mar 2019, 10:48
The Asleep Lamps wrote: ↑28 Mar 2019, 09:53 I blame Eddie Hearn. I just decided I'm not picking up DAZN for even a month until we have one undisputed heavyweight champion. :salut:
What on earth are you blaming Eddie Hearn for?
That we don't have one, recognized heavyweight champion. Now they are going to strip Joshua if he cannot fulfill all these mandatories.
Hahaha!

He's got 3 of the 4 belts, and he's trying to tie down Wilder for the 4th! What else can he do?

I think you're jumping the gun here. It's quite unlikely that Joshua will be stripped anytime soon.
You can't just state that and make it the truth. Sorry. He needs to be negotiate with Wilder in good faith. Try not to be so biased moving forward. https://metro.co.uk/2019/03/28/deontay- ... e-9040820/

Re: Hearn: If No Wilder - Then Joshua Faces Usyk, Pulev and Others

Posted: 28 Mar 2019, 11:43
by The Asleep Lamps
Straight from the horses mouth. Who is the most influential promoter in the heavyweight division? With influence comes accountability that is how I feel about it anyways. https://metro.co.uk/2019/03/27/eddie-he ... g-9038988/
How about if Eddie makes Joshua vs Wilder fight then I will sign up for DAZN the next day. :yay: I just want there to be one champion.

Re: Hearn: If No Wilder - Then Joshua Faces Usyk, Pulev and Others

Posted: 28 Mar 2019, 12:15
by oogiebe
Why not Fury??

Re: Hearn: If No Wilder - Then Joshua Faces Usyk, Pulev and Others

Posted: 28 Mar 2019, 12:20
by jamamb
marvelous marv wrote: ↑28 Mar 2019, 08:38 Joshua is all about low risk. Zero chance he fights Usyk before Wilder.
josh has been moved the most ambitiously of any of the hws. he consistently faces good opposition and has the best resume in the division despite being pro half the time of wilder and fury. at this point in wilders career he was just getting to jason gavern

Re: Hearn: If No Wilder - Then Joshua Faces Usyk, Pulev and Others

Posted: 28 Mar 2019, 12:39
by The Asleep Lamps
Anthony Joshua is on a long-term plan because he is expected to be the next Wladimir. It is hard to criticize that so long as he holds all those belts. If he were to suffer a shock upset to Miller, a prospect that nobody is even considering atm, then maybe people would question why he hadn't made the fight with Wilder instead.

Re: Hearn: If No Wilder - Then Joshua Faces Usyk, Pulev and Others

Posted: 28 Mar 2019, 12:44
by Rob3_142
The Asleep Lamps wrote: ↑28 Mar 2019, 11:41
Rob3_142 wrote: ↑28 Mar 2019, 11:37
The Asleep Lamps wrote: ↑28 Mar 2019, 11:30
Rob3_142 wrote: ↑28 Mar 2019, 10:48
The Asleep Lamps wrote: ↑28 Mar 2019, 09:53 I blame Eddie Hearn. I just decided I'm not picking up DAZN for even a month until we have one undisputed heavyweight champion. :salut:
What on earth are you blaming Eddie Hearn for?
That we don't have one, recognized heavyweight champion. Now they are going to strip Joshua if he cannot fulfill all these mandatories.
Hahaha!

He's got 3 of the 4 belts, and he's trying to tie down Wilder for the 4th! What else can he do?

I think you're jumping the gun here. It's quite unlikely that Joshua will be stripped anytime soon.
You can't just state that and make it the truth. Sorry. He needs to be negotiate with Wilder in good faith. Try not to be so biased moving forward. https://metro.co.uk/2019/03/28/deontay- ... e-9040820/
Hearn cannot negotiate with Wilder if he or any of his representatives refuse to speak to him. If you would have watched any of the previous half dozen interviews on the matter, you would understand this (rather than just reading a 1.5 hours interview condensed into a few lines on the Metro website). The number 1 priority is to be undisputed champion, but do not underestimate how much of a logistical nightmare that is.

Being unified HW champion comes with its challenges. He has three belts, which brings about 3 mandatory challengers every 18 months or so. If he wants to take on a voluntary fight, then he runs the risk of being stripped (as we found with Fury and the IBF). I still don't think it would happen because Joshua is a big financial draw to the governing bodies.

Re: Hearn: If No Wilder - Then Joshua Faces Usyk, Pulev and Others

Posted: 28 Mar 2019, 13:08
by The Asleep Lamps
You can't just state that and make it the truth. Sorry. I knew that's where you were headed is absolving Team Joshua of all responsibility.

Re: Hearn: If No Wilder - Then Joshua Faces Usyk, Pulev and Others

Posted: 28 Mar 2019, 13:12
by Deleted_Scenes
The Asleep Lamps wrote: ↑28 Mar 2019, 11:41
Rob3_142 wrote: ↑28 Mar 2019, 11:37
The Asleep Lamps wrote: ↑28 Mar 2019, 11:30
Rob3_142 wrote: ↑28 Mar 2019, 10:48
The Asleep Lamps wrote: ↑28 Mar 2019, 09:53 I blame Eddie Hearn. I just decided I'm not picking up DAZN for even a month until we have one undisputed heavyweight champion. :salut:
What on earth are you blaming Eddie Hearn for?
That we don't have one, recognized heavyweight champion. Now they are going to strip Joshua if he cannot fulfill all these mandatories.
Hahaha!

He's got 3 of the 4 belts, and he's trying to tie down Wilder for the 4th! What else can he do?

I think you're jumping the gun here. It's quite unlikely that Joshua will be stripped anytime soon.
You can't just state that and make it the truth. Sorry. He needs to be negotiate with Wilder in good faith. Try not to be so biased moving forward. https://metro.co.uk/2019/03/28/deontay- ... e-9040820/
If a company approaches you and offers to pay you at least 10x what your current employer is paying you, do you switch jobs or stay where you are earning peanuts just because you aren't told what your coworkers are earning?

Also, in that very article, Wilder is demanding 50/50 (way above his market value), despite being on record previously saying it's not about the money, and later saying he'd accept 60/40.

One side keeps moving the goalposts here, and it's not Joshua/Hearn.

Re: Hearn: If No Wilder - Then Joshua Faces Usyk, Pulev and Others

Posted: 28 Mar 2019, 13:23
by Rob3_142
The Asleep Lamps wrote: ↑28 Mar 2019, 13:08 You can't just state that and make it the truth. Sorry. I knew that's where you were headed is absolving Team Joshua of all responsibility.
Which statements am I making that you find so fanciful?

Re: Hearn: If No Wilder - Then Joshua Faces Usyk, Pulev and Others

Posted: 28 Mar 2019, 13:30
by jamamb
its dazn (skipper) making the offers not aj or hearn, wilder is not negotiating with them for the dazn deal

and ya, would you rather have $1m and a 95 percent split or $10m and a 20 percent split? its the dollars that count