Page 1 of 1

Terry Flanagan: Plans To Stay Busy, Get Back at 135

Posted: 29 May 2019, 10:36
by Ruthless-RKO
Flanagan, who recently signed with MTK Global, stepped up to super-lightweight to face Regis Prograis in the World Boxing Super Series last October.

But he will return to the squared circle on July 12 at the Eventim Olympia in Liverpool, exclusively live on iFL TV in the UK and ESPN + Stateside.

“I’m happy to be fighting on a huge card so close to home,” said Flanagan. “I’m buzzing to be out again and the plan is to stay busy to get myself back in contention at lightweight. MTK Global are giving me what I wanted by keeping me active.

“A lot of times in the past I would have a fight and then not know when I was fighting again for a while so by having a set out plan I know I’ll be keeping the ball rolling and it always feels more natural and normal when I fight,” he added. That’s when I’m at my best and that journey starts in Liverpool.”

Flanagan, whose last fight in Liverpool came at what was then the ECHO Arena back in March 2016 when he outpointed Derry Mathews in a defence of his aforementioned world title.

He has been added to an MTK Global-promoted ‘MTK Fight Night’ card and is looking forward to being back in the city as he looks to begin an assault on yet another world title down at nine-stone nine.

“I’m sure my fans will be louder than anybody and make lots of noise. I’m looking forward to getting back out there and proving a bit of a point. This will probably be the final chapter of my career under MTK Global, but I feel the best is still yet to come.

“There’s a great atmosphere in the gym at the moment, everyone is pushing everyone on and I’m excited to remind everyone what I’m capable of.”

Former WBA ‘regular’ super-middleweight champion Rocky Fielding will make his comeback on the bill after last December’s third-round stoppage at the hands of Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez at Madison Square Garden in New York, while his gym-mate Martin Murray will also be looking to get back to winning ways after losing to Hassan N’Dam at Manchester Arena last year.

The card will also feature Jazza Dickens in a clash against Australia’s Nathaniel May for the vacant IBF European featherweight crown, Craig Glover will look to get back to winning ways and further additions will be revealed in due course.

https://shar.es/a0uqce

Re: Terry Flanagan: Plans To Stay Busy, Get Back at 135

Posted: 01 Jul 2019, 11:58
by Ruthless-RKO
Former WBO lightweight champion “Turbo” Terry Flanagan (33-2, 13 KOs) hopes to end a two-fight losing streak against Tanzania’s Jonas Segu (19-8-2, 6 KOs) on July 12 at the Eventim Olympia in Liverpool, England, live on ESPN+.

Ahead of the eight-rounder, Flanagan said, “Segu looks like he loves to come forward and wing shots in. We’ve already had a little watch of him and we’re not going to have to go looking for him.

“Segu will come forward looking to land I’ve got to miss and make him pay. He’s going to be there to be hit so it’ll be an entertaining fight for the fans. He’s coming for a fight and I’ll catch him.

“I’ve not boxed since before Christmas. There’s still so much left in the tank and I’ll be looking to show that against a tough fighter. I’ll prove I’m as good as I’ve always been – if not better.

“I believe I’m a world level fighter. It’s where I’ve boxed for three or four years now. I’m in that class and I believe with one or two good wins, I’ll be back boxing for another world title.

“If I didn’t think I was capable of winning a world title, I’d have knocked boxing on the head.”


Joining Flanagan-Segu on the card is four-time world title challenger Martin Murray (37-5-1, 17 KOs) versus Kim Poulsen (28-5, 7 KOs), and a IBF European title clash between Jazza Dickens and Nathaniel May.