Page 15 of 22

Re: Ratings - please read before commenting

Posted: 18 Aug 2023, 03:18
by computerrank
Manrae wrote: 18 Aug 2023, 01:41 Was there another change in the algorithm? I've noticed some big changes...
Due to the COVID-19 problems with organizing events the half-life of the ratings cap was extented then from 18 months to 36 months. Meanwhile the inactivity time, which was extented also then, was again reduced to the old value of 12 months. Now today the ratings cap time was reduced to the old value of 18 months too.

Re: Ratings - please read before commenting

Posted: 19 Aug 2023, 01:39
by Manrae
computerrank wrote: 18 Aug 2023, 03:18
Manrae wrote: 18 Aug 2023, 01:41 Was there another change in the algorithm? I've noticed some big changes...
Due to the COVID-19 problems with organizing events the half-life of the ratings cap was extented then from 18 months to 36 months. Meanwhile the inactivity time, which was extented also then, was again reduced to the old value of 12 months. Now today the ratings cap time was reduced to the old value of 18 months too.
Got it, cheers

Re: Ratings - please read before commenting

Posted: 21 Aug 2023, 11:59
by darwinjonas
Beterbiev rating #26 p4p.... I just laugh. When Beterbiev had the IBF & WBC (without WBO) and they put Callum Smith #1 in LHW. I laugh even more.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Re: Ratings - please read before commenting

Posted: 21 Aug 2023, 16:15
by computerrank
darwinjonas wrote: 21 Aug 2023, 11:59 Beterbiev rating #26 p4p.... I just laugh. When Beterbiev had the IBF & WBC (without WBO) and they put Callum Smith #1 in LHW. I laugh even more.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
BoxRec does not go with emotions - it goes with figures. Beterbiev never defeated an opponent near to the quality Bivol did with Alvarez and Ramirez. An even if he would defeat Liam Smith now - that would not reach to Bivol's win against Alvarez,

Re: Ratings - please read before commenting

Posted: 24 Aug 2023, 20:13
by darwinjonas
computerrank wrote: 21 Aug 2023, 16:15
darwinjonas wrote: 21 Aug 2023, 11:59 Beterbiev rating #26 p4p.... I just laugh. When Beterbiev had the IBF & WBC (without WBO) and they put Callum Smith #1 in LHW. I laugh even more.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
BoxRec does not go with emotions - it goes with figures. Beterbiev never defeated an opponent near to the quality Bivol did with Alvarez and Ramirez. An even if he would defeat Liam Smith now - that would not reach to Bivol's win against Alvarez,
Govzdyk was better than Bivol. Govzdyk was #9 p4p by ESPN after he beat and KO Adonis Stevenson and Beterbiev annihilated Govzdyk . Zurdo has 0 skill. He fought only against low ranking boxer like #100-#400 who no body know. The little Canelo don't fight against high ratio KO boxer except if he is old and over the hill like GGG and washed like Kovalev. Beterbiev gave a better lesson of Boxing in less than 2 rounds than Bivol in 12 rounds against Joe Smith Jr. You told '' BoxRec does not go with emotions '' and you mentioned Liam Smith instead Callum Smith. When Callum Smith jump at 175 he was #1 LHW and he beat nobody even at 168 he beat nobody.... I discovered Boxrec is a UK site and they overrate their UK boxers....

Re: Ratings - please read before commenting

Posted: 26 Aug 2023, 13:10
by squiggy
computerrank wrote: 21 Jul 2023, 16:39
SportsRatings wrote: 21 Jul 2023, 10:12 How is Teofimo Lopez "inactive" and not ranked at Super Light ?

He just won 1.5 months ago, and he beat the #2 guy ?
He declared his retirement ...
I don't think declarations should be figured into these things at all. Guys say all kinds of things. It should just strictly be like if they've fought in x amount of months, they are active, and if they haven't, they are inactive.

Re: Ratings - please read before commenting

Posted: 26 Aug 2023, 13:11
by squiggy
When did Joshua pass Fury in the heavyweight rankings? I swear I checked after the Helenius fight and saw that he was #2, and that was just a few days ago.

Re: Ratings - please read before commenting

Posted: 26 Aug 2023, 16:38
by computerrank
squiggy wrote: 26 Aug 2023, 13:10
computerrank wrote: 21 Jul 2023, 16:39
SportsRatings wrote: 21 Jul 2023, 10:12 How is Teofimo Lopez "inactive" and not ranked at Super Light ?

He just won 1.5 months ago, and he beat the #2 guy ?
He declared his retirement ...
I don't think declarations should be figured into these things at all. Guys say all kinds of things. It should just strictly be like if they've fought in x amount of months, they are active, and if they haven't, they are inactive.
This is not decided by the ratings algorithm, but by the editors.

Re: Ratings - please read before commenting

Posted: 26 Aug 2023, 16:42
by computerrank
squiggy wrote: 26 Aug 2023, 13:11 When did Joshua pass Fury in the heavyweight rankings? I swear I checked after the Helenius fight and saw that he was #2, and that was just a few days ago.
There was a change in the ratings algorithm on 2023-08-18 - after the Joshua fight. See notice here:
viewtopic.php?t=249171&start=362

Re: Ratings - please read before commenting

Posted: 26 Aug 2023, 19:10
by JCS
Whoa, it seems very questionable for Joshua to pass Fury... even from an objective standpoint. I can see no other legitimate outcome than to either have Fury 1 / Usyk 2, or vice-versa...

I understand the reason why..... I always felt that the 18 month period was a bit harsh... Have something similar at my site and it has always been at 36 months.

BoxRec has a big place in the boxing landscape.. but still can't expect promoters and boxers to abide by minimum opposition standards, which seems to suggest leniency being the only fair option -- just my two cents.

Re: Ratings - please read before commenting

Posted: 30 Aug 2023, 08:12
by sitolegaz
The latest Elite Amateur National titles were held in perth.
Please refer to results and rannkings are way out in most divisions.
There are novices ranked above Champions.
And the new champions not ranked or recognised.
Thankyou.

Re: Ratings - please read before commenting

Posted: 05 Sep 2023, 16:07
by computerrank
623745 wrote: 30 Aug 2023, 08:12 The latest Elite Amateur National titles were held in perth.
Please refer to results and rannkings are way out in most divisions.
There are novices ranked above Champions.
And the new champions not ranked or recognised.
Thankyou.
What boxers are you talking about? Boxrec ID numbers, please.

Re: Ratings - please read before commenting

Posted: 27 Sep 2023, 19:44
by margaret thatcher
mw aint the strongest division at the moment, but how the hell is this guy rated #15

https://boxrec.com/en/box-pro/793452

Re: Ratings - please read before commenting

Posted: 30 Sep 2023, 07:41
by computerrank
margaret thatcher wrote: 27 Sep 2023, 19:44 mw aint the strongest division at the moment, but how the hell is this guy rated #15

https://boxrec.com/en/box-pro/793452
The SD against #28 Light Middleweight Jorge Garcia Perez made him #15 Middleweight.

Re: Ratings - please read before commenting

Posted: 07 Oct 2023, 13:34
by dawudboxer
Why are boxrec rankings so God awful? And how the hell is Chris Eubank Jr rated number one in the world???

Re: Ratings - please read before commenting

Posted: 07 Oct 2023, 14:51
by computerrank
dawudboxer wrote: 07 Oct 2023, 13:34 Why are boxrec rankings so God awful? And how the hell is Chris Eubank Jr rated number one in the world???
Because he defeated #2 :D

Re: Ratings - please read before commenting

Posted: 07 Oct 2023, 18:34
by margaret thatcher
boxrec loves some chris eubank jr, not his first time at #1 :yay:

Re: Ratings - please read before commenting

Posted: 13 Oct 2023, 01:17
by SportsRatings
Are the undercard fights on Fury-Ngannou going to count in the ratings? I assume that Fury-Ngannou won't since it isn't listed. Who makes the call on this?

Re: Ratings - please read before commenting

Posted: 13 Oct 2023, 03:23
by John
SportsRatings wrote: 13 Oct 2023, 01:17 Are the undercard fights on Fury-Ngannou going to count in the ratings? I assume that Fury-Ngannou won't since it isn't listed. Who makes the call on this?
Dubai commission who normally supervise there told us they think the event is unsanctioned.

Re: Ratings - please read before commenting

Posted: 22 Oct 2023, 07:55
by dawudboxer
computerrank wrote: 07 Oct 2023, 14:51
dawudboxer wrote: 07 Oct 2023, 13:34 Why are boxrec rankings so God awful? And how the hell is Chris Eubank Jr rated number one in the world???
Because he defeated #2 :D
And how is Liam Smith number two? Canelo is number one, there are many others better than Smith.

Re: Ratings - please read before commenting

Posted: 22 Oct 2023, 12:17
by computerrank
dawudboxer wrote: 22 Oct 2023, 07:55
computerrank wrote: 07 Oct 2023, 14:51
dawudboxer wrote: 07 Oct 2023, 13:34 Why are boxrec rankings so God awful? And how the hell is Chris Eubank Jr rated number one in the world???
Because he defeated #2 :D
And how is Liam Smith number two? Canelo is number one, there are many others better than Smith.
You think many others are better than Smith - BoxRec ratings evaluation of the bouts does not ...

Alvarez is not assigned to Middleweight, but to Super Middleweight.

Smith's defining win is against Vargas valid 15.6 points.
Nursaltanov's defining win is against Takesado valid 8.1 points.
Adames' defining win is against Derevanchenko valid 6.7 points.
Alimkhanyl's definign win is against Gualtierei valid 3.5 points.

Re: Ratings - please read before commenting

Posted: 23 Oct 2023, 11:36
by Cobwebcat
How has Fury slipped to 3rd behind Usyk and Joshua?

Also Wilder and Otiz not appearing due to inactivity I presume? If the cut off is 12 months I think that’s too short a period for fighters to be unranked.

Re: Ratings - please read before commenting

Posted: 23 Oct 2023, 13:27
by computerrank
Cobwebcat wrote: 23 Oct 2023, 11:36 How has Fury slipped to 3rd behind Usyk and Joshua?

Also Wilder and Otiz not appearing due to inactivity I presume? If the cut off is 12 months I think that’s too short a period for fighters to be unranked.
The inactivity limit is again 12 months as it was before COVID-19.

Re: Ratings - please read before commenting

Posted: 23 Oct 2023, 13:31
by Cobwebcat
computerrank wrote: 23 Oct 2023, 13:27
Cobwebcat wrote: 23 Oct 2023, 11:36 How has Fury slipped to 3rd behind Usyk and Joshua?

Also Wilder and Otiz not appearing due to inactivity I presume? If the cut off is 12 months I think that’s too short a period for fighters to be unranked.
The inactivity limit is again 12 months as it was before COVID-19.
How does that explain Fury dropping to 3 though?

Re: Ratings - please read before commenting

Posted: 23 Oct 2023, 14:09
by computerrank
Cobwebcat wrote: 23 Oct 2023, 13:31
computerrank wrote: 23 Oct 2023, 13:27
Cobwebcat wrote: 23 Oct 2023, 11:36 How has Fury slipped to 3rd behind Usyk and Joshua?

Also Wilder and Otiz not appearing due to inactivity I presume? If the cut off is 12 months I think that’s too short a period for fighters to be unranked.
The inactivity limit is again 12 months as it was before COVID-19.
How does that explain Fury dropping to 3 though?
Fury's rating is defined by his best win against Wilder. But it is 24 months ago now. It once was worth 40.5 points, but now only 16.6 points. Whyte win is worth 14.3 points. Chisora win only 8 points.

Usyk's best against Joshua is worth 30.3 points.
Joshua's best performance, his close loss against Usyk is worth 20.7 points.