12%
Joshua - Decision
2%

Total votes: 170

Ruthless-RKO
Featherweight

Oleksandr Usyk vs. Anthony Joshua II | Sky Sports PPV - 20 August 2022

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Anthony Joshua exercises right to rematch Oleksandr Usyk for heavyweight championship

Anthony Joshua exercised his contractual right to an immediate rematch with Oleksandr Usyk for the unified heavyweight championship, Joshua's promoter, Eddie Hearn, announced on Saturday.

Hearn said he plans to stage Usyk-Joshua 2 in early spring.

"Back in the game and looking for him to become a three-time world champion," Hearn said.

Joshua, 31, had 30 days from last month's upset defeat to Usyk to inform the other side, in writing, that he was exercising the rematch clause. Neither boxer can stage an interim fight before the rematch.

The battle of Olympic gold medalists from the 2012 Games wasn't all that competitive despite Joshua's advantage in size and heavyweight experience. Usyk (19-0, 13 KOs) was boxing as a heavyweight for just the third time but neutralized Joshua's edge in size and strength with superior quickness, boxing smarts and footwork.

The former undisputed cruiserweight champion appeared on the verge of stopping Joshua (24-2, 22 KOs) in the closing seconds of a bout that featured no knockdowns, though Joshua was stunned on several occasions.

Joshua, a U.K., star, emerged from the bout with a badly damaged right eye and sat on his stool for minutes after the fight concluded. The unanimous-decision loss was the second of Joshua's career. His other defeat was a shocking seventh-round TKO loss to Andy Ruiz Jr.

That bout also contained a rematch clause and Joshua made good use of it by exacting revenge via decision six months later in Saudi Arabia.

Usyk, a 34-year-old Ukrainian, is ESPN's No. 2 heavyweight and No. 9 pound-for-pound boxer. Joshua is ESPN's No. 4 heavyweight.

Usyk's tremendous victory spoiled plans for a Tyson Fury-Joshua super fight in the first half of 2022. Fury and Joshua hoped to meet Aug. 14 in Saudi Arabia before an independent arbitrator ruled that Fury owed Wilder a third fight. They meet Saturday for the WBC heavyweight championship (9 p.m. ET, ESPN+ PPV).

The WBC ruled that if the winner of Saturday's bout doesn't unify with Usyk next, that the victor will be ordered to fight Dillian Whyte, the long-standing WBC No. 1 contender. If Whyte can upend Otto Wallin on Oct. 30 in London, he could be in line to fight Fury or Wilder in the first half of 2022.
Last edited by Ruthless-RKO on 07 Jul 2022, 17:17, edited 18 times in total.
rob h
Cruiserweight

Re: Oleksandr Usyk vs. Anthony Joshua II - Rematch exercised

Post by rob h »

I feel that for Usyk this is Feel. Really feel.
funso banjo baby
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by funso banjo baby »

Another pointless rematch

Stink
Grilling Machine
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Grilling Machine »

I'm hoping Usyk does it again, but I give AJ a bit more of a chance in the rematch because I think he'll feel less pressure, even though on paper it's more. He wasn't bombed out or anything, and everyone agrees Usyk's an immense talent.

It was only a bad loss on mental grounds, in that AJ never properly went for it, and that's completely within his control to change. I feel it's about 65:35 in Usyk's favour, and if AJ brings it this time I predict a stoppage either way. Gonna vote Uysk by stoppage.
DrDuke
Bantamweight

Post by DrDuke »

Usyk will repeat, most likely in the absolutely same fashion like the first time around.
KiwiRider
Super Bantamweight

Post by KiwiRider »

rob h wrote: 09 Oct 2021, 19:23 I feel that for Usyk this is Feel. Really feel.
Oh totally feel.
In fact, I have voted Uysk by stoppage. Seeing as he got confidence enough to have a go late in the first fight, he might start a bit earlier in the second
BigDoofus
Featherweight

Post by BigDoofus »

Grilling Machine wrote: 10 Oct 2021, 01:51 He wasn't bombed out or anything
He was seconds away from that at the end :box:
Grilling Machine
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Grilling Machine »

Managed to get away with it, though! We all know he was in serious trouble, but there's no social media of him on the canvas to underscore it. He can mentally clean-slate himself. (Or at least try to.)
Boxerbeetle
Welterweight

Post by Boxerbeetle »

I’m going with Usyk ko, feel Joshua needs to be a lot more aggressive and try to impose his size & strength, which is his only really chance of winning but will also leave him much more vulnerable and susceptible to gassing.

But depends on how Joshua approaches it, obviously. If he’s only prepared to try to outbox Usyk again and won’t commit hard, then he’ll just lose on points. I do worry a bit about Joshua’s mentality these days, Ruiz really knocked a lot of the fight out of him.
Old Jack J
Lightweight

Post by Old Jack J »

Depends on how Joshua treats it. I mean Usyk is always going to outbox him but if Joshua comes in heavier and just charges at him then he stands a chance. He cannot be passive like last time. Needs to use his size and strength to dominate.
Ruthless-RKO
Featherweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Old Jack J wrote: 10 Oct 2021, 08:26 Depends on how Joshua treats it. I mean Usyk is always going to outbox him but if Joshua comes in heavier and just charges at him then he stands a chance. He cannot be passive like last time. Needs to use his size and strength to dominate.
Have a feeling that style will probably even tire out Joshua..
Old Jack J
Lightweight

Post by Old Jack J »

Ruthless-RKO wrote: 10 Oct 2021, 08:31
Old Jack J wrote: 10 Oct 2021, 08:26 Depends on how Joshua treats it. I mean Usyk is always going to outbox him but if Joshua comes in heavier and just charges at him then he stands a chance. He cannot be passive like last time. Needs to use his size and strength to dominate.
Have a feeling that style will probably even tire out Joshua..
Yep. Me too but I think it's his only chance. I think he probably has 6 or 7 rounds tops (probably only 4) to overwhelm him. After that Usyk will probably knock him out.

I just think that Bellew managed to clip Usyk a couple of times and made him take a step backwards. Joshua should be able to do the same but harder.
Bard of Boxrec
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Bard of Boxrec »

Wonder what the odds will look like
gregregegg
Bantamweight

Post by gregregegg »

Bard of Boxrec wrote: 10 Oct 2021, 08:43 Wonder what the odds will look like
Usyk paying 1.42, ah paying 2.73.

(Bet 1 dollar on usyk get 1.42 back [.42 profit])

Interestingly they are the exact odds bookies are giving for aj vs fury.
peter barlow
Super Featherweight

Post by peter barlow »

Hearn talking March or April, why so long.

Anyway the risk is obvious for AJ here. He needs to come in and physically impose himself, engage in roughhouse tactics and let his hands go. He needs the KO.

Just come in and throw bombs for as many rounds as possible before gassing. If he continues with gunshy tactics due to being chinny, he's in trouble anyway.
HomicideHenry
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by HomicideHenry »

They only exercised the rematch clause to steal Fury's thunder. That being said Joshua simply has to go for broke and let the hands fly. I'm not so convinced that Usyk can handle super heavyweight power if they are coming at him nonstop and mauling him like a rag doll. But he is fast enough to get out of danger and he is quick enough to jump in and land combinations on the soft chin of Joshua.

You have to favor the Ukrainian but I do think it is possible that Joshua can land on him and hurt him and possibly get a stoppage victory. He just has to be willing to dig down deep and fight like he did against Klitschko. The question is is he mentally or emotionally prepared to do that again since losing to Ruiz?
KiwiRider
Super Bantamweight

Post by KiwiRider »

peter barlow wrote: 10 Oct 2021, 15:29 Hearn talking March or April, why so long.
Because pampered AJ wants to have a nice holiday in Dubai, then training camp.
peter barlow
Super Featherweight

Post by peter barlow »

KiwiRider wrote: 10 Oct 2021, 16:31
peter barlow wrote: 10 Oct 2021, 15:29 Hearn talking March or April, why so long.
Even still it's early October, April quite a while away!
KiwiRider
Super Bantamweight

Post by KiwiRider »

peter barlow wrote: 10 Oct 2021, 17:01
KiwiRider wrote: 10 Oct 2021, 16:31
Even still it's early October, April quite a while away!
I know, but they pay these guys too much, there is no hunger to make money and worse still, AJ doesn't have the stack of baby mommas to pay out on that past guys have had.
He needs to go to the newly opened Adrian's School of Money Squandering
Terminator666
Light Heavyweight

Post by Terminator666 »

I don’t reckon AJ will really fancy this. Probably end up delaying it
Ruthless-RKO
Featherweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Apparently, the winner of this rematch may be ordered by the WBA to fight Robert Helenius.
peter barlow
Super Featherweight

Post by peter barlow »

Ruthless-RKO wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 06:58 Apparently, the winner of this rematch may be ordered by the WBA to fight Robert Helenius.
https://www.skysports.com/boxing/news/1 ... t-helenius

Seems that's what team Helenius want but doubtful he's only ranked 3 and Bryant and Dubois were due an eliminator.

A tourney between Hunter/Helenius and Dubious/Bryant would be interesting and the winner get the shot. Not as if they're getting it anytime soon anyway if Usyk Joshua is not until April and then possible unification bout
Dioufy
Cruiserweight

Post by Dioufy »

HomicideHenry wrote: 10 Oct 2021, 15:33 They only exercised the rematch clause to steal Fury's thunder. That being said Joshua simply has to go for broke and let the hands fly. I'm not so convinced that Usyk can handle super heavyweight power if they are coming at him nonstop and mauling him like a rag doll. But he is fast enough to get out of danger and he is quick enough to jump in and land combinations on the soft chin of Joshua.

You have to favor the Ukrainian but I do think it is possible that Joshua can land on him and hurt him and possibly get a stoppage victory. He just has to be willing to dig down deep and fight like he did against Klitschko. The question is is he mentally or emotionally prepared to do that again since losing to Ruiz?
Cannot agree more. 👍
margaret thatcher
Flyweight

Post by margaret thatcher »

wilder exercised the fury rematch clause to steal fury's thunder too, in fact that's why most fighters do it, to burn guys who they arent even fighting

my gawd, the whole world is so unfair to tyson, always trying to keep a fightin man down
HomicideHenry
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by HomicideHenry »

If my memory serves me right Fury had absolutely no qualms in facing Wilder again. In fact he was going to face Kabayal in December 2020 and was going to face Wilder in the spring of 2021, but covid-19 restrictions helped time run out on the contract.

Then Fury thought of pursuing Joshua, and Wilder's team put an end to that with the arbitration. Regardless, Fury didn't complain and fought the man and kicked his butt again.

With wanting an undisputed title fight, it's kind of ironic how people's tunes have changed. Wilder prevented the undisputed fight between Joshua and Fury. Then Usyk beat Joshua. The rivalry and fight everybody wanted was basically ruined because of the actions of Wilder.

And of course we could have the undisputed fight within a few months between Fury and Usyk--- but here is Joshua pulling a stunt like Wilder. It's ironic as hell considering Joshua after losing to the Ukrainian said, "I will fight Fury or Wilder belt or no belt," when for years he's continuously said that belts were everything.

Yet nobody is giving Joshua any crap at all, when chances are he won't be able to beat Usyk just like it was pointless for Wilder to fight Fury for a third time. These rematch clauses are they absolute detriment of professional boxing and everybody knows it.

Way things are going we may not get an undisputed fight until 2023 because people want to be selfish and stupid. By that time for all we know everybody will be passed their best. I'm having flashbacks of Mayweather and Pacquiao being staged 5 years after it should have been.

Think about it. What if the worst case scenario occurs and Joshua beats Usyk and Usyk's people demand a rubbermatch. Then you have the WBO, WBA, and IBF getting greedy and demanding the winner of that rubber match to defend against Helenius or Joyce otherwise they will get stripped of the belts.

Then you have Fury being forced to defend the WBC belt against Wilder for a fourth time, or Andy Ruiz, or Dillian Whyte--- and although all three fights are certainly winnable they are very hard to get amped up to get ready for.

It's a nightmare. And it's a shame that people can't look at the big picture and see what is best for the sport and the fans. Joshua and Wilder are two sides of the same coin, basically wasting everybody's time when they could just fight each other and the winner get a shot at the Fury-Usyk winner.

But no that is too simple and too easy. They would rather things would get complicated and drug out just so they can steal headlines for matches they most likely cannot win.

Now among the rumor mill is that Joshua wants out of his lifetime contract with Eddie Hearn, and also among the rumor mill is that Wilder is going to take Fury to court over the gloves. Again, nothing but a bunch of attention seekers trying to drown out the noise of Fury winning.