Opetaia - Decision
9%

Total votes: 46

bobcatbox
Flyweight

Re: Mairis Briedis vs. Jai Opetaia | Wasserman - July 2, 2022

Post by bobcatbox »

Ruthless-RKO wrote: 02 Jul 2022, 10:29 Jai showed good chin
Big time. He’s a slick southpaw. A lot of good tricks, but he got figured out by a master technician by the end of the fight. If he didn’t have a good chin this would be MB’s fight.
H8Usernames
Flyweight

Post by H8Usernames »

Is there any need for a rematch?

If Tomy Fury vs YouTuber doesn't happen next then id like to see youtuber vs breiidis take place.
Dioufy
Cruiserweight

Post by Dioufy »

H8Usernames wrote: 02 Jul 2022, 14:49 Is there any need for a rematch?

If Tomy Fury vs YouTuber doesn't happen next then id like to see youtuber vs breiidis take place.
Yea, tbh. I had it closer than I thought; 15-13s. Be good to see Jai in with a top 15 early next year if he heals good and then if Mairis wants it and gets a decent comeback win then I’d watch it again. In the State or even here.

Jai needs exposure now.
KiwiRider
Super Bantamweight

Post by KiwiRider »

Gosh that was a good fight.
Jai fought the best I've ever seen him by some margin.
I had him edging the win but not by much, Briedis showed us what a champion is made of and came back after being badly busted up.
Jai's chin helped him out I think, he took some massive shots and his jaw was badly broken. What a couple of tough bastards!
The perfect 6 rounds for Jai, making thr older fighter move and work amd miss, while banking to the body. And Briedis showed what it means to be a champion. Much respect to both guys.
I would not even mind a rematch.
Ruthless-RKO
Featherweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

bobcatbox
Flyweight

Post by bobcatbox »

I think Briedis wins the rematch. He shut down Jai by the end of the fight. Had him hurt in the late rounds. I like MB in the second fight.
JackSprocket
Light Flyweight

Post by JackSprocket »

So, was Briedis ever really that good?
KiwiRider
Super Bantamweight

Post by KiwiRider »

JackSprocket wrote: 02 Jul 2022, 18:57 So, was Briedis ever really that good?
Damn right, still beats all but 2-3 guys. And would more than likely beat Jai in a rematch, he had him figured for the last half of the fight.
Brute
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Brute »

Breidis broke Jai's jaw in the second round and still could not finish him off. Breidis was a great champion and props to Jai Opetaia for beating him with a unanimous decision.
margaret thatcher
Flyweight

Post by margaret thatcher »

Ruthless-RKO wrote: 02 Jul 2022, 18:21
jai just like, get me out of here and reattach my jaw please
margaret thatcher
Flyweight

bobcatbox wrote: 02 Jul 2022, 18:27 I think Briedis wins the rematch. He shut down Jai by the end of the fight. Had him hurt in the late rounds. I like MB in the second fight.
rematch is interesting..............almost always would favour a younger fighter who won the first fight. but it was briedis coming on in the second half.....

tbf to jai, it was a massive step up and he's gained a lot of experience with this fight, whereas briedis pretty much already had loads of experience, and this wasnt anything particularly new to him. jai's camp need to look at what happened in the 2nd half and why the fight got so much tougher for him after he breezed the first 6

i'd be cool for a rematch
KiwiRider
Super Bantamweight

Post by KiwiRider »

Jai needs to fight like that again, and sustain it for longer, if they rematch. As soon as he slowed Briedis was all over him.
Unfortunately Jai is going to be out for a while, and when he is healed there is the psychological factor that the man in front of him can break his jaw.
I'd like to see a rematch, surely Briedis being the champ had that as a clause? :maybe:
It was an action packed fight of two halves and a very close decision IMO.
margaret thatcher
Flyweight

ya rematch would be really interesting if they can do it in the next year, jai obviously boxed great at times but looked a broken at the end

you'd think with it being such a huge step up he'd grow from the experience, but he did take quite a bit of damage there. then again, briedis is only getting older. would like to see it again
DrDuke
Bantamweight

Post by DrDuke »

Opetaia surprised me and probably a lot of other fans, but it was a close fight. Briedis has done a great effort with the busted nose. Opetaia lacked the experience to neutralize Briedis later on. Anyway, Opetaia surprised even more, when he stood his ground after eating clean shots of Mairis. I had it 115-113 for Jai. It's tough to pick a winner in the rematch. Opetaia is a good boxer, he has the tools to deal with Briedis, but will he use those properly, if Mairis goes forward earlier in the rematch?
Boxingguru75
Super Flyweight

Post by Boxingguru75 »

When they both are healthy rematch would be a great fight to look forward too. I had it 114-114 but have no problem with cards in least. It was two different fights. If Briedis came into the fight with a cold as reported that might explain the slow start. Opetaia was incredible early. Beautiful boxing. Briedis resume is incredible. I wish he hadn’t take. So much time off the last few years. Opetaia deserves so much credit for such a massive upgrade in an opponent. His resume was pretty lean. They both lifted up. Good for boxing.
KiwiRider
Super Bantamweight

Post by KiwiRider »

DrDuke wrote: 03 Jul 2022, 03:45 Opetaia surprised me and probably a lot of other fans, but it was a close fight. Briedis has done a great effort with the busted nose. Opetaia lacked the experience to neutralize Briedis later on. Anyway, Opetaia surprised even more, when he stood his ground after eating clean shots of Mairis. I had it 115-113 for Jai. It's tough to pick a winner in the rematch. Opetaia is a good boxer, he has the tools to deal with Briedis, but will he use those properly, if Mairis goes forward earlier in the rematch?
I scored it the same, and even more respect to Jai if his jaw did get broken in the second round- I rewatched it and he did take two massive right hands- and it was a really bad break.
So Briedis coming back it the second half was the mark of a true champion after getting broken up badly, and Opetaia hanging in there with his jaw hanging off just blows my mind.
Yes to the rematch! :box:
goose 5
Super Flyweight

Post by goose 5 »

I had Briedis 115-113 but could accept a draw; but 116-112 for Opetaia was way off in my view.
margaret thatcher
Flyweight

opetaia's jaw was broken twice, one on both sides :oo

so im guessing the one that wasnt visible happened in round 2, and then the gaping mess of a jaw that happened near the end was a result of the 2nd break
gregregegg
Bantamweight

Post by gregregegg »

margaret thatcher wrote: 04 Jul 2022, 03:24 opetaia's jaw was broken twice, one on both sides :oo

so im guessing the one that wasnt visible happened in round 2, and then the gaping mess of a jaw that happened near the end was a result of the 2nd break
I think when you break your jaw good it often goes both sides. Guessing he had a crack on one side in round 2, then that beast uppercut hit it in 10 or 11 and snapped the crack and the other side.

what ever the round 2 break was wasnt much, no swelling, no blood in the mouth, could keep his mouthpeaice in and talk to the corner fine.
Dioufy
Cruiserweight

Post by Dioufy »

Boy is gonna be on some hade core pain killers for sure. That kind of injury was often results in more pain in recovery than when he actually did it.
Horrible injury.
brilo33
Lightweight

Post by brilo33 »

really close fight i fought, first couple rds yea jai edge it opetaia i think then 4th 5th jai beauitful upper in the 4th i think briedis came back into it mid rds landed some big shots himself jai soaked them up tho i think jai took the 8th 9th others were close, tough lad jai great win, tho briedis showed why he was champion fought most the fight with a busted nose . good fight