When will promoters / broadcasters realise that no one wants to watch womens boxing as a co main event ?

high tower 1
Super Flyweight

When will promoters / broadcasters realise that no one wants to watch womens boxing as a co main event ?

Post by high tower 1 »

I know the broadcasters have their woke agenda and I know that promoters like to penny pinch - though when will this end ?

Almost every tv show now has a usually mis matched woman’s main event. Up to 10 tedious rounds of shoe shine punches and silence from the crowd.

For every Taylor / sorrano there are 100 fights like prices last night.

And what’s the solution ? Seperate female headlined / stacked shows ? Womens boxing further down bill? Even fights only ?
maverick23
Super Welterweight

Re: When will promoters / broadcasters realise that no one wants to watch womens boxing as a co main event ?

Post by maverick23 »

I don’t have a massive issue with women’s boxing but for me it either needs to be really competitive fights (I’d be fine with Bridges/Courtney high up a bill) or short fights.

Eddie’s put on too many 10 rounders high up the bill that drain the life out of a show. The recent Buatsi/Richards show had 2 10 rounders on the main card and both were one sided. The Scotney one was bad matchmaking but should have been on the prelims whilst the Cameron fight was always going to be a mismatch.

I didn’t really have an issue with Price fighting so far up the bill last night but she was fighting a natural lightweight at welterweight and that coupled with the difference in ability meant it was always going to be rubbish.

They need to keep the mismatches off the main shows and focus on well matched fights.
smiling assassin
Welterweight

Re: When will promoters / broadcasters realise that no one wants to watch womens boxing as a co main event ?

Post by smiling assassin »

It’s here to stay unfortunately. The promoters know that the majority of fans don’t care for it but it’s fits the agenda of equality to put it on the bill. On a side note that price bird is virtually a man ( the shoulders on it)
gregregegg
Bantamweight

Post by gregregegg »

I dont mind a nice evenly matched womens world title as a co- main. Would i rather a cracker mens fight sure, but for most of the womens fights its good value for money.

People blaim them for killing atmosper and mabey it happens somtimes but i have never ever seen a fight blow an atmospher as much as Ekow vs Tetley...
tonyevs
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by tonyevs »

I`d say its when people simply stop buying it. Increasingly boxing is a niche sport of PPV and subscriptions. The gate money is an added extra.
A show advertised with 10x2 rounds of the current standard of womens boxing is not getting very many to fork out money for.

Its a sign of things to come too when Lauren Price - a so far career middleweight - is matched against a career lightweight. I know Lauren has got down to welterweight .. but her opponent lastnight was fighting 10lb heavier than she ever has before. Women boxing is just too noncompetitive.
There is a polarisation in ability in womens boxing - therefore Price should have been the one giving away 10lb of natural weight to have levelled this out some.
jimmystone
Minimumweight

Post by jimmystone »

Sports broadcasters should have a public service responsibility to encourage girls to participate in sport. the grumpy middle aged people watching telly who have had their chance should suck it up for forty minutes or so and feel a little bit proud that their subscription money is, in part, going towards helping the next generation of children to get inspired.
jimmystone
Minimumweight

Post by jimmystone »

smiling assassin wrote: 12 Jun 2022, 04:07 It’s here to stay unfortunately. The promoters know that the majority of fans don’t care for it but it’s fits the agenda of equality to put it on the bill. On a side note that price bird is virtually a man ( the shoulders on it)
There's an agenda of equality because of people like you, though, mate. Do you understand that. or not? There'd be no need for it if tough blokes like you didn't get your kicks out of bullying young women online.
Counter-puncher
Light Heavyweight

Post by Counter-puncher »

jimmystone wrote: 12 Jun 2022, 04:48 Sports broadcasters should have a public service responsibility to encourage girls to participate in sport. the grumpy middle aged people watching telly who have had their chance should suck it up for forty minutes or so and feel a little bit proud that their subscription money is, in part, going towards helping the next generation of children to get inspired.
:salut:
Boxerbeetle
Welterweight

Post by Boxerbeetle »

It’s frustrating simply because it’s generally a very low standard. But it is really any worse than having, say, Campbell Hatton, high up the card on PPV shows? That’s just as ridiculous. Let’s be honest, most boxing cards are paper thin on quality these days, promoters are just filling them up with whatever crap they can.
high tower 1
Super Flyweight

Post by high tower 1 »

jimmystone wrote: 12 Jun 2022, 04:48 Sports broadcasters should have a public service responsibility to encourage girls to participate in sport. the grumpy middle aged people watching telly who have had their chance should suck it up for forty minutes or so and feel a little bit proud that their subscription money is, in part, going towards helping the next generation of children to get inspired.
It’s total pish. Without the core audience there won’t be any boxing on the telly. Did you watch that fight ??
jimmystone
Minimumweight

Post by jimmystone »

high tower 1 wrote: 12 Jun 2022, 05:35
It’s total pish. Without the core audience there won’t be any boxing on the telly. Did you watch that fight ??
Women's boxing is improving overall precisely because it is getting more exposure. It will continue to improve.

Quite why Daniel Dubois' opponent was in a 'world title' fight when men's boxing has been going as long as it has is far more annoying and damaging to the sport to me.
margaret thatcher
Flyweight

Post by margaret thatcher »

far more often than not it's such a momentum killer when it pops up on a card. way too many of the fights are basically nailed on decisions with 0 power shown.
maverick23
Super Welterweight

Post by maverick23 »

margaret thatcher wrote: 12 Jun 2022, 06:04 such a momentum killer when it pops up on a card, often in the totally wrong spot
It depends on the fight though. If it’s well matched then it’s fine. If not then the chances are it’ll be a dull distance fight.

Like I said before I don’t have a problem with womens boxing but I don’t like one sided fights. Given the lack of depth in all of the womens divisions the chances are higher of there being a mismatch than in mens boxing. I don’t like mismatches in mens boxing either (I was pretty much bored through the first 2 hours of BT’s show last night) but the men have more of the ability to end a fight with one punch than the women which makes it a little more watchable for me.

The women need more exposure as that will, mid to long term, increase the strength in depth but unless it’s well matched I think they’d be better off keeping the fights on the prelims.
margaret thatcher
Flyweight

you're the same guy who says pro boxing should be banned, isn't it better than if no women compete in it and if it doesnt grow in popularity :lol:
margaret thatcher
Flyweight

eh, if 99 fights out of a 100 suck, we still have to say 'of course it depends on the fight', because there's still one that didnt suck

in the case of women's boxing ,people can cherrypick the good fights, but watching these cards regularly, it's overwhelmingly nailed on distance slapfests. skye nicholson stuff where the punches actually restore health points. when we taalk about all these women's fights being on cards, it's not some equal balance of good and bad fights you can pick, and then 'well it just depends on which one you got'.

for me the biggest thing is the lack of oomph, the lack of that powah. the excitment of a beast or super hot prospect dishing it out. in women's boxing, it just doesnt have the same 'anything could happen' or 'watch for it!' element that i love about boxing. that's something that makes men's mismatches easier for me to stomach as well. ya dub-bryan was a mismatch, but damn that highlight reel ko! and it only lasted 3.5 rounds...
forcefraser
Light Heavyweight

Post by forcefraser »

Its utter pish. Totally ruins the atmosphere.

The only way to stop it is to boycott cards that have crappy women`s fights on. Did we ask for it? no. So why accept it?

Just cos some curtain wearing lemon decides that inclusion should be rammed down our throats, doesnt mean we have to eat it.

What`s next? men`s netball in tight shorts? Mens synchronized swimming? Men being forced to sit down to take a pish as standing up is a sign of inequality and male alpha dominance?

Put on an all womens boxing card and see how many turn up.

Women dont watch womens boxing, so why make the men suffer through it.

People telling us to suck it up??? suck my plums.
Last edited by forcefraser on 12 Jun 2022, 06:43, edited 1 time in total.
jimmystone
Minimumweight

Post by jimmystone »

margaret thatcher wrote: 12 Jun 2022, 06:17
you're the same guy who says pro boxing should be banned, isn't it better than if no women compete in it and if it doesnt grow in popularity :lol:
No. I think all pro sport should be banned, not just boxing, but that's not going to happen any time soon. I'm a strong advocate of amateur sport though and it's far better for the amateur boxing clubs to have boys and girls coming through their doors rather than just boys. The women on the pro shows do motivate the young lasses I see at our local amateur clubs.
jimmystone
Minimumweight

Post by jimmystone »

forcefraser wrote: 12 Jun 2022, 06:39 Its utter pish. Totally ruins the atmosphere.

The only way to stop it is to boycott cards that have crappy women`s fights on. Did we ask for it? no. So why accept it?

Just cos some curtain wearing lemon decides that inclusion should be rammed down our throats, doesnt mean we have to eat it.

What`s next? men`s netball in tight shorts? Mens synchronized swimming? Men being forced to sit down to take a pish as standing up is a sign of inequality and male alpha dominance?

The idea that because women can be tough, men have to be soft. as you are implying, doesn't make any sense to me.
jamesmcdonnell
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by jamesmcdonnell »

I concur.
jamesmcdonnell
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by jamesmcdonnell »

jimmystone wrote: 12 Jun 2022, 07:39
forcefraser wrote: 12 Jun 2022, 06:39 Its utter pish. Totally ruins the atmosphere.

The idea that because women can be tough, men have to be soft. as you are implying, doesn't make any sense to me.
Insecurity.
Boxerbeetle
Welterweight

Post by Boxerbeetle »

Oi, don’t knock that, I do it quite regularly at home these days. Less chance of dropping my phone in the toilet.
(craig)
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by (craig) »

Boxerbeetle wrote: 12 Jun 2022, 07:46

Oi, don’t knock that, I do it quite regularly at home these days. Less chance of dropping my phone in the toilet.
I do it cause I'm a lazy sod.
THEBUTCH
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by THEBUTCH »

I'll keep my input fairly short on this subject....they have every right to participate but IMO it's f*cking shit and I don't watch it, so it may as well not exist in my mind. We have an off button and I use it or if I'm at a show that's the time to go for a slash :TU:

What is frustrating is that far more deserving boxers, who have considerably more talent & ability and are far more entertaining, should get the exposure.
high tower 1
Super Flyweight

Post by high tower 1 »

jimmystone wrote: 12 Jun 2022, 05:45
high tower 1 wrote: 12 Jun 2022, 05:35
Women's boxing is improving overall precisely because it is getting more exposure. It will continue to improve.

Quite why Daniel Dubois' opponent was in a 'world title' fight when men's boxing has been going as long as it has is far more annoying and damaging to the sport to me.
I’d much rather watch Dubois put some fat slob into orbit than endure a 10 round slap fest.

Amateur womens boxing I can watch and appreciate the skill. Pro boxing is different.
Glass Joe
Welterweight

Post by Glass Joe »

Zhang Weili v Joanna Jedrzejcyzk rematch was good last night. Sky were always going to put a gold medallist pro debut as a chief support. I turned it over after 3 rounds.