All womans boxing card October 15th good or bad idea? (R.I.P Queen)

Post Reply

Will it sell more tickets than Chisora - Kubrat Pulev

Yes
40
43%
No
53
57%
 
Total votes: 93

chiggsy
Middleweight
Posts: 1375
Joined: 12 Feb 2010, 03:09

Re: All womans boxing card September 10th good or bad idea?

Post by chiggsy »

Frostieballs wrote: 15 Jul 2022, 10:57
THEBUTCH wrote: 15 Jul 2022, 05:26 To those using the 'ism argument....of course women's boxing has a perfect right to exist, but don't force it upon the fans who'd rather watch something better.

It's woke Bullshit and it stinks to high heaven.
This card isn't woke though is it Butch? And it isn't being forced on anyone?
No not this particular one its just nearly every other one.

I hope its a sell out and a roaring success so as the sisters can have their own cards and that way there’ll be no need to ruin mens cards with 8 x 2 minutes of pillow fisted shite.
Spud
Heavyweight
Heavyweight
Posts: 5725
Joined: 17 Sep 2005, 17:05

Re: All womans boxing card September 10th good or bad idea?

Post by Spud »

The problem is this card for the “Lumpy Jumpers” is better than some of the absolute sh*te the men are serving up.

Boxing is sh*te at the minute
THEBUTCH
Heavyweight
Heavyweight
Posts: 5472
Joined: 27 Jan 2004, 08:51

Re: All womans boxing card September 10th good or bad idea?

Post by THEBUTCH »

Frostieballs, As chiggsy said, lots of others are !
Surely that hasn't escaped just about everyone's attention :maybe:
Glass Joe
Welterweight
Posts: 2868
Joined: 08 Feb 2012, 10:29

Re: All womans boxing card September 10th good or bad idea?

Post by Glass Joe »

olij999
Heavyweight
Heavyweight
Posts: 1027
Joined: 14 Jun 2004, 08:22

Re: All womans boxing card September 10th good or bad idea?

Post by olij999 »

olij999 wrote: 05 Jul 2022, 11:42
Frostieballs wrote: 05 Jul 2022, 11:19 If the fights are well matched and can stand alone (as they appear to be) it is an excellent idea. Why not?

Venue is ambitious. I would have gone York Hall, or maybe 3k-4k somewhere. But I am a cautious old dinosaur.
I agree - it is all about the matchmaking, particularly with the main event and chief support. These fights look good. Shields v Marshall is probably the best women's fight that can be made anywhere in the world at the moment, so credit to them for facing each other. And if the undercard is full of dull 40-36s and 60-54s, that is no different to plenty of all-male shows happening every week. But let's hope it is better than that.

Only downside with Marshall v Shields will be that is presumably over two-minute rounds, given the world title belts involved. This is no different to the situation where the longest track distance that women competed in at the 1948 and 1952 Olympics was 200 metres, and look how silly that looks in retrospect. One positive is that the BBBofC do allow three-minute rounds as standard for women as well as men (see https://bbbofc.com/build/documents/Rule ... s_2021.pdf at paras 3.7 and 22.10) but I don't think any women boxers are doing three minutes. All power to the first one who insists on it.

If Shields v Marshall was over 12 x 3s, it would be magnificent.
Bumping my previous post on this. It would be great if Shields and Marshall said "Never mind the titles and 10 x 2s, we want to do 12 x 3s, and British rules allow it, so let's go for that." That would be "game changed". Does anyone know if any female British fighter is considering boxing three-minute rounds, or has done so already?
mickey1975
Super Middleweight
Posts: 19278
Joined: 02 Mar 2009, 12:54

Re: All womans boxing card September 10th good or bad idea?

Post by mickey1975 »

The commonwealth were 3's I think.
Counter-puncher
Light Heavyweight
Posts: 33450
Joined: 20 May 2008, 11:41

Re: All womans boxing card September 10th good or bad idea?

Post by Counter-puncher »

mickey1975 wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 11:26 The commonwealth were 3's I think.
:TU:
Glass Joe
Welterweight
Posts: 2868
Joined: 08 Feb 2012, 10:29

Re: All womans boxing card September 10th good or bad idea?

Post by Glass Joe »

How come Marshall Shields didn't get a 5-star rating on boxrec?
Boxerbeetle
Welterweight
Posts: 26429
Joined: 19 Sep 2011, 10:59

Re: All womans boxing card September 10th good or bad idea?

Post by Boxerbeetle »

olij999 wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 11:16
olij999 wrote: 05 Jul 2022, 11:42
Frostieballs wrote: 05 Jul 2022, 11:19 If the fights are well matched and can stand alone (as they appear to be) it is an excellent idea. Why not?

Venue is ambitious. I would have gone York Hall, or maybe 3k-4k somewhere. But I am a cautious old dinosaur.
I agree - it is all about the matchmaking, particularly with the main event and chief support. These fights look good. Shields v Marshall is probably the best women's fight that can be made anywhere in the world at the moment, so credit to them for facing each other. And if the undercard is full of dull 40-36s and 60-54s, that is no different to plenty of all-male shows happening every week. But let's hope it is better than that.

Only downside with Marshall v Shields will be that is presumably over two-minute rounds, given the world title belts involved. This is no different to the situation where the longest track distance that women competed in at the 1948 and 1952 Olympics was 200 metres, and look how silly that looks in retrospect. One positive is that the BBBofC do allow three-minute rounds as standard for women as well as men (see https://bbbofc.com/build/documents/Rule ... s_2021.pdf at paras 3.7 and 22.10) but I don't think any women boxers are doing three minutes. All power to the first one who insists on it.

If Shields v Marshall was over 12 x 3s, it would be magnificent.
Bumping my previous post on this. It would be great if Shields and Marshall said "Never mind the titles and 10 x 2s, we want to do 12 x 3s, and British rules allow it, so let's go for that." That would be "game changed". Does anyone know if any female British fighter is considering boxing three-minute rounds, or has done so already?
Didn’t Nicola Adams box 3 minute rounds a couple of times under FW? Or did I dream it.
olij999
Heavyweight
Heavyweight
Posts: 1027
Joined: 14 Jun 2004, 08:22

Re: All womans boxing card September 10th good or bad idea?

Post by olij999 »

mickey1975 wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 11:26 The commonwealth were 3's I think.
Indeed - and all the better for it. Was thinking of pro fighters, though - sorry for not being clear.
Last edited by olij999 on 09 Aug 2022, 12:01, edited 1 time in total.
olij999
Heavyweight
Heavyweight
Posts: 1027
Joined: 14 Jun 2004, 08:22

Re: All womans boxing card September 10th good or bad idea?

Post by olij999 »

Boxerbeetle wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 11:37
olij999 wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 11:16
olij999 wrote: 05 Jul 2022, 11:42

I agree - it is all about the matchmaking, particularly with the main event and chief support. These fights look good. Shields v Marshall is probably the best women's fight that can be made anywhere in the world at the moment, so credit to them for facing each other. And if the undercard is full of dull 40-36s and 60-54s, that is no different to plenty of all-male shows happening every week. But let's hope it is better than that.

Only downside with Marshall v Shields will be that is presumably over two-minute rounds, given the world title belts involved. This is no different to the situation where the longest track distance that women competed in at the 1948 and 1952 Olympics was 200 metres, and look how silly that looks in retrospect. One positive is that the BBBofC do allow three-minute rounds as standard for women as well as men (see https://bbbofc.com/build/documents/Rule ... s_2021.pdf at paras 3.7 and 22.10) but I don't think any women boxers are doing three minutes. All power to the first one who insists on it.

If Shields v Marshall was over 12 x 3s, it would be magnificent.
Bumping my previous post on this. It would be great if Shields and Marshall said "Never mind the titles and 10 x 2s, we want to do 12 x 3s, and British rules allow it, so let's go for that." That would be "game changed". Does anyone know if any female British fighter is considering boxing three-minute rounds, or has done so already?
Didn’t Nicola Adams box 3 minute rounds a couple of times under FW? Or did I dream it.
Think you may have dreamt it. Adams' fights were all twos, as were those of pioneers such as Jane Couch and (looking beyond the UK) Christy Martin.
Boxerbeetle
Welterweight
Posts: 26429
Joined: 19 Sep 2011, 10:59

Re: All womans boxing card September 10th good or bad idea?

Post by Boxerbeetle »

olij999 wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 11:59
Boxerbeetle wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 11:37
olij999 wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 11:16

Bumping my previous post on this. It would be great if Shields and Marshall said "Never mind the titles and 10 x 2s, we want to do 12 x 3s, and British rules allow it, so let's go for that." That would be "game changed". Does anyone know if any female British fighter is considering boxing three-minute rounds, or has done so already?
Didn’t Nicola Adams box 3 minute rounds a couple of times under FW? Or did I dream it.
Think you may have dreamt it. Adams' fights were all twos, as were those of pioneers such as Jane Couch and (looking beyond the UK) Christy Martin.
I just googled it and looks like I was correct. You owe me a tenner :lol:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/39911010.amp
wrighty
Featherweight
Posts: 223
Joined: 21 Jan 2016, 21:49

Re: All womans boxing card September 10th good or bad idea?

Post by wrighty »

It has its place. Jonas v Taylor was pretty good but the quality varies. I don't think it would sell a massive venue but I would watch if the tickets were OK priced and the grog was reasonable price, so not 5 quid for a can of Carling lol
Ruthless-RKO
Featherweight
Posts: 66908
Joined: 24 Apr 2016, 11:59

Re: All womans boxing card September 10th good or bad idea?

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Boxerbeetle wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 13:04
olij999 wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 11:59
Boxerbeetle wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 11:37

Didn’t Nicola Adams box 3 minute rounds a couple of times under FW? Or did I dream it.
Think you may have dreamt it. Adams' fights were all twos, as were those of pioneers such as Jane Couch and (looking beyond the UK) Christy Martin.
I just googled it and looks like I was correct. You owe me a tenner :lol:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/39911010.amp
Was he 2nd pro fight wasn’t it.
thenamesnevers
Minimumweight
Posts: 67
Joined: 15 Feb 2022, 06:36

Re: All womans boxing card September 10th good or bad idea?

Post by thenamesnevers »

Let's be honest, this fight night is simply a box ticking exercise and Sky wanting to be the first. I'll tune in for the main and co-main, but this isn't a stacked, quality night of boxing.

Taylor vs Serrano proved that women can headline and Shields vs Marshall is a headline event. However, there isn't enough depth and quality for all female boxing cards on major networks.
Nightmare Roy
Heavyweight
Heavyweight
Posts: 10767
Joined: 18 May 2003, 17:29

Re: All womans boxing card September 10th good or bad idea?

Post by Nightmare Roy »

ambitious, for comparison, the average attendance for Manchester United womans games is 3,500 and a ticket costs less than a tenner, a season ticket £40, less than one ticket for a mans game.
lefthook82
Light Heavyweight
Posts: 1753
Joined: 07 Mar 2008, 04:33

Re: All womans boxing card September 10th good or bad idea?

Post by lefthook82 »

I thought Price and Artingsall would never fight on the same card. That didn't last long did it?

I will be watching but thin they overplayed their hand putting it on the o2. This should have been Copperbox
stujones
Heavyweight
Heavyweight
Posts: 25645
Joined: 29 Aug 2003, 15:08

Re: All womans boxing card September 10th good or bad idea?

Post by stujones »

Is the Jonas fight off? That looked a tough one on paper.
mickey1975
Super Middleweight
Posts: 19278
Joined: 02 Mar 2009, 12:54

Re: All womans boxing card September 10th good or bad idea?

Post by mickey1975 »

stujones wrote: 11 Aug 2022, 05:35 Is the Jonas fight off? That looked a tough one on paper.
She's on the liverpool card.
Ruthless-RKO
Featherweight
Posts: 66908
Joined: 24 Apr 2016, 11:59

Re: All womans boxing card September 10th good or bad idea?

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

mickey1975 wrote: 11 Aug 2022, 06:03
stujones wrote: 11 Aug 2022, 05:35 Is the Jonas fight off? That looked a tough one on paper.
She's on the liverpool card.
sept 3rd
olij999
Heavyweight
Heavyweight
Posts: 1027
Joined: 14 Jun 2004, 08:22

Re: All womans boxing card September 10th good or bad idea?

Post by olij999 »

Boxerbeetle wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 13:04
olij999 wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 11:59
Boxerbeetle wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 11:37

Didn’t Nicola Adams box 3 minute rounds a couple of times under FW? Or did I dream it.
Think you may have dreamt it. Adams' fights were all twos, as were those of pioneers such as Jane Couch and (looking beyond the UK) Christy Martin.
I just googled it and looks like I was correct. You owe me a tenner :lol:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/39911010.amp
Ha! That's a great find. :bow: I'll update her Boxrec record to put that on, as it's not there. Damn these so-called definitive sites... :OhYes:
forcefraser
Light Heavyweight
Posts: 4207
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 06:15

Re: All womans boxing card September 10th good or bad idea?

Post by forcefraser »

Glass Joe wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 11:28 How come Marshall Shields didn't get a 5-star rating on boxrec?

Don't get me started please
Glass Joe
Welterweight
Posts: 2868
Joined: 08 Feb 2012, 10:29

Re: All womans boxing card September 10th good or bad idea?

Post by Glass Joe »

Hows this sold? Will watch the main event. Womans boxing needs Marshall to win.
maverick23
Super Welterweight
Posts: 7406
Joined: 26 Feb 2011, 18:20

Re: All womans boxing card September 10th good or bad idea?

Post by maverick23 »

Glass Joe wrote: 02 Sep 2022, 16:11 Hows this sold? Will watch the main event. Womans boxing needs Marshall to win.
It’s sold poorly. Would be less than 5,000 sold tickets in there. They’ve given away loads of free tickets. They’ve offered free tickets for youngsters to many boxing clubs around London (and maybe wider too).
Cyclops
Super Middleweight
Posts: 5108
Joined: 13 Jun 2009, 04:14

Re: All womans boxing card September 10th good or bad idea?

Post by Cyclops »

Funny. I'm going to this, with mates.

It's nothing to do with being 'woketards' or feeling the need to support women's boxing. It's just that the main event is a well matched fight and it should be fun.

I'm skimming through the thread and it's odd how bothered people are by this.

It's a boxing match at the end of the day.
Post Reply