14%
Zepeda - Decision
14%

Total votes: 22

Ruthless-RKO
Featherweight

Regis Prograis vs. Jose Zepeda | PPV - November 26, 2022

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Jose Ramirez withdraws from title fight vs. Jose Zepeda because of conflict with wedding; Regis Prograis in line to replace him

Jose Ramirez will wait a little bit longer for the opportunity to regain his WBC junior welterweight title.

He scrapped plans for a vacant title fight against Jose Zepeda that was ordered by the WBC because of a conflict with his wedding in October, a spokesperson for Ramirez said in a statement provided to ESPN.

In his place, former champion Regis Prograis now has the chance to fight Zepeda for the 140-pound belt. The WBC formally ordered the fight on Sunday evening and informed both parties that a purse bid will be held on Aug. 30 if no deal is struck before then.

Ramirez, who lost his two belts to Josh Taylor in a May 2021 undisputed championship fight, will be the mandatory challenger to the winner of Prograis-Zepeda, sources told ESPN.

"Due to the light welterweight division being held hostage by champion Josh Taylor, as he eventually declined to fight the mandatory challengers for the WBC and WBC, Jose was unable to secure a fight that did not conflict with his wedding," Ramirez's spokesperson said.

Taylor relinquished two of his four titles as he pursues a rematch with Jack Catterall in a bout that could take place on Nov. 26 in Glasgow, Scotland. When they met in February, Taylor prevailed via controversial split decision. There's no deal yet for a return encounter.

"I'm beyond happy to be getting a shot at the title again," Prograis told ESPN. "My goal was to become a two-time world champion and it couldn't have come at a better time. I want to establish myself as the best 140[-pound boxer] on the planet again.

"And on top of that, Zepeda is a real killer in the 140-pound division, so this is a huge fight, not just for the division but for boxing."

Indeed, this shapes up as a compelling action fight that will help sort out the crowded 140-pound landscape. Prograis (27-1, 23 KOs) has been itching for another meaningful fight since he dropped his title to Taylor via majority decision in an October 2019 unification bout.

The 33-year-old, who fights out of the Houston area, is rated No. 4 by ESPN at junior welterweight. Zepeda (35-2, 27 KOs) is No. 5.

Since a majority decision defeat to Ramirez in February 2019, Zepeda, who is from Southern California, has shined. Besides a decision win over Jose Pedraza, Zepeda, 33, scored a brutal KO of Ivan Baranchyk in ESPN's 2020 fight of the year and, most recently, scored a first-round TKO of Josue Vargas.

"This fight will get made, no barriers, no politics in the way on this one with networks, nothing," Rick Mirigian, who manages Zepeda and Ramirez, told ESPN. "The fans are getting a real fight."

Prograis is promoted by Probellum, while Zepeda is with Mexico-based Zanfer Promotions, so it's unclear which network will broadcast this fight. That could be determined following the purse bid if a deal isn't struck before Aug. 30.

Last edited by Ruthless-RKO on 21 Nov 2022, 09:57, edited 6 times in total.
Ruthless-RKO
Featherweight

Re: Regis Prograis vs. Jose Zepeda - WBC Ordered

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Ruthless-RKO
Featherweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Ruthless-RKO
Featherweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Prograis Determined To Stay At 140 Because of Potential Influx Of Big Names

Regis Prograis may soon find his division populated with some mouth-watering names.

For that reason, the New Orleans-born, Houston-based southpaw sees no reason to flee from his career-long perch in the 140-pound division.

The 33-year-old former titlist has been frustrated at the notion that he is being ignored by his top peers, but apparently the idea that some of the top names in the 135-pound division may be flocking to 140 has had him feeling more sanguine about his future prospects.

For example, Teofimo Lopez, the former unified champion at 135, will be making his debut at 140 against Pedro Campa Aug. 13 at Resorts World Las Vegas in Las Vegas.

Ryan Garcia recently stated, upon stopping Javier Fortuna in six rounds, that he intends to fight at 140.

And Devin Haney, the current undisputed lightweight champion, has repeatedly hinted that his time at 135 may not be for long. Haney is set to defend his four lightweight belts in a rematch with George Kambosos later this fall in Australia.

Even unified 130-pound champion Shakur Stevenson has expressed interest in fighting Haney at 140 at some point down the line.

Prograis admittedly has been something like the odd man out in the 140-pound ranks ever since he dropped a title unification bout to Josh Taylor in 2019. Prograis has only fought three times since then, all stoppages over overmatched opponents in Juan Heraldez, Ivan Redkach, and most recently, in March, Tyrone McKenna. Prograis signed with Probellum, the start-up promotional company led by Richard Schaefer last year.

“That’s why I’m staying at 140,” Prograis told Tha Boxing Voice. “All of them are going to have to see me eventually. I really feel like that. Like I said right now nobody saying my name. But once I am a champion again—and I should be champion: in a year, 12 months’ time, I should be champion again no matter what—once that happens, guess what, all them names is gonna have to come to me. They’re gonna have to see me. Everybody is gonna have to fight me. There will be no more running.

“Like right now it’s risk-versus-award type of thing…there’s no reward in fighting me. Once I’m a champion again, then we’ll see.”

And Prograis has the opportunity to reclaim a title - as the World Boxing Council ordered Jose Zepeda and Prograis to fight for the vacant WBC title, which was recently vacated by Taylor.

Prograis noted that his top priority is to have a rematch with Taylor. The Scotsman won a controversial split decision over Jack Catterall in February in a first defense of his four 140-pound titles. Taylor dropped his WBA and WBC belts in order to focus on making a rematch with Catterall.

Prograis also expressed interest in a fight with lightweight attraction Gervonta Davis. But as with all of these fights, it is not clear how feasible they are for Prograis, given that Prograis shares few affiliations with the fighters’ respective handlers and promoters.

“If I had a dream fight right now, Taylor would be number one,” Prograis said. “If I had to fight someone next, it would be Josh Taylor, number one.

“Somebody I always wanted to definitely fight is Gervonta Davis. I want to fight him. If it’s at ’35 or ’40, whatever. I can’t do ’35. But if he comes up to ’40 for that. But besides that I want to be a world champion again. I want to be a world champion.”
Lenny Cravats
Super Lightweight

Post by Lenny Cravats »

I'm always really surprised when I'm reminded how old Prograis is.
Mexi-Box
Super Featherweight

Post by Mexi-Box »

I'm not expecting a great fight, but it's about as 50-50 as you can get. Both more inclined to play the role of counter puncher, and both with major power, so I'm not expecting a barn burner. They'll both play it cautious and one will win by boring decision is my guess.
Ruthless-RKO
Featherweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Lenny Cravats wrote: 01 Aug 2022, 18:39 I'm always really surprised when I'm reminded how old Prograis is.
33?
Lenny Cravats
Super Lightweight

Post by Lenny Cravats »

Ruthless-RKO wrote: 02 Aug 2022, 03:24
Lenny Cravats wrote: 01 Aug 2022, 18:39 I'm always really surprised when I'm reminded how old Prograis is.
33?
Yeah. I thought he was a lot younger in the Taylor fight, don't seem to be able to shake it. Doesn't feel like he's been around a long time, given he's probably only got a couple of years left.
Ruthless-RKO
Featherweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Lenny Cravats wrote: 02 Aug 2022, 04:58
33?
Yeah. I thought he was a lot younger in the Taylor fight, don't seem to be able to shake it. Doesn't feel like he's been around a long time, given he's probably only got a couple of years left.
Yeh. That was 3 years ago though.

He doesn’t look 33 for sure.

Inactivity is what kills boxers careers and progression.
emallini
Super Lightweight

Post by emallini »

Good fight
lookingaround87
Welterweight

Post by lookingaround87 »

GREAT fight! Gonna be a real war. Can't wait.
Ruthless-RKO
Featherweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Prograis on Zepeda: I've Got To Be Wary of Him and His Power

Regis Prograis says he has ‘clawed his way out of a pit’ to secure another shot at the world super lightweight title.

The WBC have ordered for Prograis to face Jose Zepeda in a clash for the vacant crown at 140lbs. The winner will have to face Jose Ramirez.

Prograis was the WBA champion in 2019 but says losing his crown to Josh Taylor, and the subsequent near three-year wait to secure another world title tilt, has made him realize he did not “cherish” what he had.

But a rebooted ‘Rougarou’, who is on a three fight TKO winning streak, is determined to seize his chance against Zepeda.

“I’m ecstatic,” Prograis told Probellum.com.

“I’ve waited for this opportunity for a long time. When I was a world champion, and I lost my belt, it was like I fell to the bottom of the pit, and I just clawed my way up, clawed my way up, clawed my way out.

“And now I am back fighting for another title again to become a world champion. I don’t do this just to become a world champ, I want to be I want to be known as the best in my division.

“I was a world champion and the number one in the world so for me, it’s about getting back to that same spot that I feel like I deserve. This is a chance to achieve that.”

Zepeda, who holds a 35-2 record, has Prograis’ respect but the dangerous warns that he will pose problems that Zepeda has never had to contend with.

“Both of us have tremendous power in each hand,” Prograis, 27-1, said.

“Zepeda has a bunch of crazy knockouts on his record, and I’ve been knocking people out too, so I’ve got to be wary of him and his power.

“But I have supreme confidence in myself. Maybe this is a flaw of mine, maybe it’s not, but when you tell me I am going to fight somebody, I think I’m going to destroy them, and there is no way this person can beat me.

“Zepeda is a good fighter, but he has never seen nothing like me before.”

Prograis (27-1, 23KOs) has rebounded from defeat by recording three consecutive TKO wins.

Zepeda, 33, has lost both of his previous two world title tilts, to England’s Terry Flanagan in 2015 and to Ramirez in 2019.
Cent0089
Super Lightweight

Post by Cent0089 »

Good fight, bring it on. Im going in this with Prograis :box:
Cent0089
Super Lightweight

Post by Cent0089 »

Ruthless-RKO wrote: 02 Aug 2022, 05:32
Lenny Cravats wrote: 02 Aug 2022, 04:58

33?
Yeh. That was 3 years ago though.

He doesn’t look 33 for sure.

Inactivity is what kills boxers careers and progression.
Not so much progress for Prograis haha :D
Ruthless-RKO
Featherweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Purse bids today (30th Aug)
Ruthless-RKO
Featherweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Who???

Ruthless-RKO
Featherweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Surprised ESPN didn’t bid.

Is this another Daniel Kinahan backed bid.
Prograis was signed to Probellum.

MarvNation pulling a Triller move.
Ruthless-RKO
Featherweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Just checked..

Founded by Marvin Rodriguez in 2014.
Ruthless-RKO
Featherweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

MarvNation posts $2.4M bid to promote Regis Prograis-Jose Zepeda WBC junior welterweight title bout

The vacant WBC junior welterweight title fight between Regis Prograis and Jose Zepeda was won by upstart promotional company MarvNation on Tuesday with a commitment of $2.4 million.

TGB Promotions on behalf of PBC was the other bidder at $1.2 million. The fighters will split the $2.4 million evenly.

"We expect to host this event within the next 90 days; Las Vegas and Atlantic City are potential locations," Marvin Rodriguez, CEO and Founder of Southern California-based MarvNation Promotions, told ESPN. " ... Our intention has always been to do big things in the sport of boxing and this is the first of many important moves we plan on making."

No broadcast plans have yet been finalized.

"I'm beyond happy to be getting a shot at the title again," Prograis, 33, told ESPN last month. "My goal was to become a two-time world champion and it couldn't have come at a better time. I want to establish myself as the best 140[-pound boxer] on the planet again.

"And on top of that, Zepeda is a real killer in the 140-pound division, so this is a huge fight, not just for the division but for boxing."

"I have been waiting for a really long time to fight for the WBC title," Zepeda told ESPN last month. "... I'm happy that Prograis wants this fight, I know he's a really good fighter and I'm sure that we will give our fans a tremendous fight. I can't wait until I become the next WBC champion."
Ruthless-RKO
Featherweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Bids

MarvNation - $2,400,000
TGB Promotions - 1,260,000
Zanfer Boxing (Zepeda lead promoter) - $1,004,500
Probellum (Prograis’ promoter) - $1,000,060

————
As per split, both fighters will take home a guarantee split of 90% of the total purse bid: $1,080,000 for each fighter..

The remaining 10% which equates to $240,000, will be placed in escrow for the winner.
Ruthless-RKO
Featherweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

WBC president says MarvNation in danger of losing right to promote Regis Prograis vs Jose Zepeda

Mauricio Sulaiman’s organization ordered a vacant title fight but warns that it may not come to fruition under MarvNation.

Not long after it was revealed that little-known promoter MarvNation won the purse bid rights to stage a 140 lb vacant title fight between Regis Prograis and Jose Zepeda, WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman says the company is already in danger of losing the fight.

Here, Sulaiman explains that while MarvNation made the required deposit on their winning purse bid, he also says they’ve yet to finalize contracts with the fighters nor solidify a date and venue for the bout, risking the fight to TGB promotions instead.

Sulaiman on a purse bid for Prograis vs Zepeda

“The super lightweight championship between Zepeda and Prograis went to purse bid and there was a winner of the purse bid with $2.4M. (MarvNation) did comply with payment of the deposit of 10%, however, they are pending to send the contracts, the date and the site of the fight. And we are in communications trying to help them understand, and if they cannot promote the fight to simply withdraw otherwise there are strong penalties.

“So we want this fight to get on, it’s been a long time with no fights in the division.”

On if MarvNation is in danger of losing promotional rights to Prograis vs Zepeda

“It is in danger...we need to have a site and a date, location, and a contract signed. If not, the fight will go to TGB who was the second highest bidder, and hopefully we get the fight this year.

“MarvNation is hardworking, they complied with a huge deposit they had to place. We’re just trying to help them go in the right direction.”
Ruthless-RKO
Featherweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Ruthless-RKO
Featherweight

Re: Regis Prograis vs. Jose Zepeda - November 26, 2022

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Zepeda-Prograis Vacant WBC Title Fight Eyed For November 26 in Southern California

Jose Zepeda and Regis Prograis will move forward with their vacant WBC junior welterweight title fight.

Boxing Scene has confirmed that MarvNation Promotions has set aside a date of November 26 for the title fight claimed by the Southern California-based outfit during a recent purse bid hearing. An exact venue was not established as this goes to publish, though a strong possibility is for the fight to land at Dignity Health Sports Park in Carson, California. The fight is expected to headline an independent but moderately priced Pay-Per-View event.

Prograis took to his Instagram channel to confirm that he was officially on board with all terms for the fight, which was the last hurdle in finalizing the attractive matchup.

The vacant title fight was ordered by the WBC on July 31, and then sent to a purse bid hearing on August 30. MarvNation—founded and headed by Marvin Rodriguez—emerged as the surprise winner, posting a whopping $2,400,000 to far outpace the rest of the field. Their bid was nearly double that of TGB Promotions’ $1,200,600 offer as the next highest bidder.

As previously reported by BS.com, the WBC received the required ten-percent deposit right at the ten-day deadline, with that money placed in escrow. The $240,000 amount will be at stake as a win bonus per WBC purse bid rules. The remaining 90 percent will be split between Zepeda and Prograis, who are both guaranteed to clear more than $1,000,000 for the title fight.

There was public concern expressed by WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman over the process not moving along at their desired pace. It fueled speculation that MarvNation—generally a club promoter save for its biggest fighter, unified IBF/WBO strawweight titlist Yokasta Valle—was perhaps in over its head and unable to handle the expensive price tag.

However, significant progress was made immediately thereafter, with Zepeda (35-2, 27KOs) on board with the fight all along and Prograis’ side ironing out final details to move forward with the event.

The belt became vacant on July 1, when Scotland’s Josh Taylor (19-0, 13KOs) relinquished the crown in lieu of a mandatory title defense against California’s Zepeda. Taylor fully unified the division following a 12-round win over Ramirez in their undisputed championship last May 22 in Las Vegas but has fought just once since then—a disputed split decision win over Jack Catterall on February 26 in Glasgow.

Taylor is now down to just the WBO title, having vacated the WBA, WBC and IBF belts, in that order.

The WBC vacancy came after dragging out talks with Zepeda and calling for multiple purse bid delays. The stall tactics left Zepeda waiting nearly three months before having to enter a fresh round of talks with the next highest available contender.

Zepeda earned his way back to the mandatory challenger position during his current six-fight unbeaten streak. His ascension to the top contender spot came after surviving four knockdowns to score four of his own in a sixth-round knockout of Ivan Baranchyk in October 2020, prevailing in the universal pick for 2020 Fight of the Year.

Two more wins have followed, including a first-round knockout of Josue Vargas last October 30 in New York City and a stay-busy affair in March before heading into talks with Taylor. It proved to be a giant waste of time for all involved, as Taylor ultimately gave up the belt, the lengthy wait even angering the WBC.

Zepeda was originally due to enter talks with former WBC/WBO titlist Jose Carlos Ramirez, whose own desire to challenge for a second title reign was affected by the delay in the belt becoming available.

Ramirez faced and defeated former two-division titlist Jose Pedraza in March, taking the fight with the intention of next challenging for the title ahead of his already scheduled October wedding. The timing of the order conflicted with his out-of-ring calendar, with Ramirez agreeing to stand down and face the winner of the next ordered vacant title fight.

Prograis (27-1, 23KOs) was the number-three contender, reaching that point after scoring a sixth-round knockout of Belfast’s Tyrone McKenna in March. The former WBA titlist from the greater Houston area by way of New Orleans was also in the hunt for the vacant WBA title, only to lose out on the opportunity as Dominican Republic’s Puello (20-0, 10KOs) claimed the belt in an August 20 points win over Batyr Akhmedov.

All was not lost for Prograis, who for months was by far the best junior welterweight in the world to not be in the title mix. That changed with Ramirez’s graceful exit from the ordered WBC fight, as the 33-year-old southpaw has a chance to become a two-time titlist.

Prograis previously held the WBA title, claiming the belt in a sixth-round knockout of Kiryl Relilkh in April 2019 during the semifinal round of the World Boxing Super Series 140-pound tournament. Prograis lost the belt to Taylor via majority decision in their October 2019 WBSS final in London, having since won three straight.
Ruthless-RKO
Featherweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Zepeda vs. Prograis on November 26th

Jose Zepeda and Regis Prograis will clash for the vacant WBC super lightweight title on November 26th in a venue to be announced, in a card presented by MarvNation Promotions.

The WBC title fight was ordered by the WBC on July 31, and then sent to a purse bid hearing on August 30. MarvNation, founded and headed by Marvin Rodriguez, emerged as the winner, posting US$2,400,000 to far outpace the rest of the field. Their bid was nearly double that of TGB Promotions’ US$1,200,600 offer as the next highest bidder.

The WBC belt became vacant on July 1, when Scotland’s Josh Taylor (19-0, 13KOs) relinquished the crown in lieu of a mandatory title defense against Zepeda.

Zepeda was originally due to fight with former champion Jose Carlos Ramirez, whose own desire to challenge for a second title reign was affected by the delay in the belt becoming available.

Ramirez faced and defeated former two-division titlist Jose Pedraza in March, taking the fight with the intention of next challenging for the title ahead of his already scheduled October wedding. The timing of the order conflicted with his out-of-ring calendar, with Ramirez agreeing to stand down and face the winner of the next ordered vacant title fight.

Prograis (27-1, 23KOs) previously held the WBA title, claiming the belt in a sixth-round knockout of Kiryl Relilkh in April 2019 during the semifinal round of the World Boxing Super Series 140-pound tournament. Prograis lost the belt to Taylor via majority decision in their October 2019 WBSS final in London, having since won three straights.
Ruthless-RKO
Featherweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Press Release

Two of Boxing’s best junior welterweights, #1 ranked Jose ‘Chon’ Zepeda, (35-2, 27 KO’s), of LaPuente, CA and #2 ranked, former world champion Regis ‘Rougarou’ Prograis, (27-1, 23 KOs) of New Orleans, LA will battle for the vacant WBC super lightweight world championship over 12-rounds on Saturday, November 26 at ‘The War Grounds’, Dignity Health Sports Park in Carson, CA and broadcast live on Pay-Per-View, it was announced today.

“I’ve been waiting for this fight for three years,” said Prograis. “I was a champion three years ago, and I stayed at 140 so that I can fulfill my goal and be a two-time champion at 140. I’ve been waiting long for this opportunity, and I believe November 26 is when I will unleash my three years of frustration. I could have gone to 147 and got more money, but I always wanted to be a two-time champion. I changed some things around, I got a nutritionist for my last fight. I am very grateful for this opportunity to come again, and I will not let it slip.”

The fight will be available on cable, satellite, telco and streaming PPV outlets throughout the US and Canada. More details on where to order the PPV telecast will be communicated in the coming weeks.

Stated Zepeda, “I’m really excited about this fight finally happening. This is not like other fights. This is the top two in the 140lb. division, fights like this you don’t see in boxing anymore. This is a real fight and the best part is that the fans are aware of this.”

In recent years, Zepeda has stamped his fights as must-see; full of non-stop action combined with his fierce Mexican warrior spirit. On October 3, 2020, Zepeda defeated former world champion Ivan Baranchyk in an epic battle for the ages and the consensus ‘Fight of the Year’. The fearless Zepeda would stop Baranchyk in the fifth round in an ESPN broadcasted clash that saw each fighter rise from the canvas four times. Following a ten-round decision over perennial contender Hank Lundy on May 22, 2021, Zepeda would once again validate his remarkable reputation with a stunning first round knockout of top-rated contender Josue Vargas on October 30, 2021 at Madison Square Garden.

Zepeda first challenged for a world title against WBC Champion Jose Ramirez on February 10, 2019, losing a hotly contested 12-round majority decision.

Former WBA 140lb. world champion Prograis has been dominant over the last two years in the division. Following a majority decision loss in London, England for the undisputed division crown and World Boxing Super Series Championship against Josh Taylor on October 26, 2019, the only blemish on a ten-year run.

Most recently, Prograis showcased his power, traveling to Dubai stopping Tyrone McKenna in the sixth round on March 19, 2022. Previously, the exciting southpaw knocked out Ivan Redkach in the sixth round on April 17, 2021 and Juan Heraldez in the third round on October 30, 2021.

“The super lightweight championship of the world, a division of greatness, could not find a better match than Zepeda vs Prograis,” said Mauricio Sulaiman, President of the World Boxing Council. “Legends like Julio Cesar Chavez, Oscar De La Hoya, Kostya Tszyu and Floyd Mayweather just to name a few, have proudly held the WBC green and gold belt in this division. Both fighters are in their prime and ready to give the boxing world a memorable thriller as both have participated in fights of the year throughout their careers respectively.”