Boxing is ****ed

Spud
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Boxing is ****ed

Post by Spud »

All ovf us in here are massive boxing fans, our commitment to the sport shows no bounds.

With regarding cheats a lot of us are hypocritical ****s because many of us regardless how many cheats are caught we still follow the sport.

I am a bigger **** than most on here because I worked in the sport and have turned a blind eye to a lot of things I seen and heard.

The last couple of months I seriously questioned many things about boxing so when a couple of days ago it was revealed Benn got caught cheating, and then in my opinion certain ****s desperately trying to get the fight on has made me blow a fuse.

Can I ask you the following:

Why are you a boxing fan?

Have recent events made you question your loyalty to the sport?

Do you have the belief that recent events will get dealt with correctly?

Thanks
jimmystone
Light Flyweight

Re: Boxing is ****ed

Post by jimmystone »

Boxing, Greco-Roman wrestling, freestyle wrestling, kick-boxing and judo are the only sports I care about and watch*. Why? because well matched combat has been my primary passion since I was about four years old. There's nothing so pure on earth and I love it.

What I don't like in life (including but not limited to boxing) are liars, people who are greedy, people with poor integrity, people who are psychologically weak, lickspittles, and people who don't have enough credibility to stand on the platform they are speaking from.

Boxing will always be about but to be at a standard I want in another ten years you need lots and lots of children to get involved now. Their parents won't take them to boxing in sufficient numbers if at the elite level the sport is run by shameless spivs.

*Powerlifting style training and running are things I have dipped in and out of for training but I'm not interested in watching them.
The Docker
Minimumweight

Post by The Docker »

Apologies Spud but I'm not going to answer your questions as you authored them.

I'd put boxing back on the school curriculum with the caveat only those who want to box will do. I did it at high school in my first two years, thereafter it must have been abolished. PE teacher would randomly pick two similar sized pupils and off they went. The problem with this approach, one of the pupils may have been pitbull in mentality and the other show poodle. So the contests were invariably barbarically one sided. Put it on the curriculum and only let the pupils who want to have a crack at it have their crack.

The primitiveness of fist fighting will always appeal, even to folk who say they are opposed to it. The biggest crowds I ever saw at school were behind the sports hall when two favoured guys would settle their dispute with a good old fashioned scrap, even the girls showed up in droves.

Boxing will get over this latest mess, be old and forgotten news in a couple of weeks. I'm more concerned the opportunity to take up boxing have practically dried up. Maybe in the bigger towns and cities there are an abundance of boxing clubs, nearest one to me is 18 miles away and it's not a great seller to a young kid or parent to have to commute that two or three times a week.

Get it back on the school curriculum.
Steveh583
Bantamweight

Post by Steveh583 »

again????
ThereByTheGrace
Middleweight

Post by ThereByTheGrace »

1. Because i enjoy the art of it, every fight is different and I enjoy the uniqueness of the sport/

2. Yes I feel cynical to all of it now; the doping and governing bodies are a joke and the promoters take advantage of this. It just a business now. We need a universal governing body to have some standards and not lies and confusion.

3. No, it will become a muddle to protect Benn's "reputation".
Ricky
Bantamweight

Post by Ricky »

I used to be a boxing junkie, now I hardly watch it, for a multitude of reasons.

it's just shambolically bad. It's 2022 and the clowns running the sport don't even have a proper procedure or protocol as to what happens when a fighter fails a test :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

These fag-packet contract lawyers take millions out the sport aswell, yet can't even account for what might happen if someone fails a VADA test.... although the more sinister of us would see that being deliberate, to give some under-the-rug leeway.

Much of the blame lies with Floyd Mayweather, this business of "additional contradctual testing" was the result of the world's biggest duck, not only has it resulted in this dog's dinner, he was writing confidential "therapeutic usage exemptions" into his testing contracts too. Gaming the system from the get go.

They should write "boxing" under the definition of "disrepute" in the dictionary.
Coco
Cruiserweight

Post by Coco »

Is boxing so much worse than before?

Corruption and dirty dealing is nothing new
Glass Joe
Welterweight

Post by Glass Joe »

Benn thing would have been forgotten about in 2-3 weeks time, barring a ban. Not sure if next week woman show will take the heat off lol
Boxerbeetle
Super Welterweight

Post by Boxerbeetle »

Nothing beats a proper fight, would never turn my back on boxing completely.

But as an ‘organised’ sport (using the term very fvcking loosely) it’s a complete joke and a total shambles.

Only thing to do is try to ignore all of the nonsense that surrounds it, and simply attend / tune-in for the shows themselves.
Spud
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Spud »

Glass Joe wrote: 08 Oct 2022, 13:37 Benn thing would have been forgotten about in 2-3 weeks time
The sad thing is you are right .
Spud
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Spud »

Coco wrote: 08 Oct 2022, 13:30 Is boxing so much worse than before?

I think it is worse because social media magnifies its problems
Spud
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Spud »

ThereByTheGrace wrote: 08 Oct 2022, 11:47 It just a business now.
completely correct
Glass Joe
Welterweight

Post by Glass Joe »

So far this year on the dark side

MTK being canned
Josh Taylor FIGHT and IJL
Alejandra Ayala injury and if she should had been allowed to box
Benn drugs thing
Fury Joshua circus
Match room taking Saudi money again and AJ post fight melt down

probably a load more
Ricky
Bantamweight

Post by Ricky »

Boxerbeetle wrote: 08 Oct 2022, 13:47 Nothing beats a proper fight, would never turn my back on boxing completely.

But as an ‘organised’ sport (using the term very fvcking loosely) it’s a complete joke and a total shambles.

Only thing to do is try to ignore all of the nonsense that surrounds it, and simply attend / tune-in for the shows themselves.
The shows are fvcking awful. They consist of mismatched fights, and woman fights, with about 45 minutes of ads and opinions from Jonny fvckng Nelson filling the long gaps in-between.

Compared to UFC, the production value of a boxing card is absymal. Borderline unwatchable.
Ricky
Bantamweight

Post by Ricky »

Glass Joe wrote: 08 Oct 2022, 14:08 So far this year on the dark side

MTK being canned
Benn drugs thing
Fury Joshua circus

probably a load more

huh!? AJs meltdown on the mic was the most entertaining thing to happen boxing since... Andy Ruiz won the title and did a pogo stick celebration like a pixar character.
Ruthless-RKO
Featherweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Spud wrote: 08 Oct 2022, 13:59
Glass Joe wrote: 08 Oct 2022, 13:37 Benn thing would have been forgotten about in 2-3 weeks time
The sad thing is you are right .
Yeh. No one really talks about past fails that much.. unless a conversation is triggered or a new test comes across and gets us all talking about the past fails.
pat123
Super Featherweight

Post by pat123 »

Big fights not being made. Crawford never had a definig fight.
Fury v Joshua
Journey men and small hall boxing
Womens boxing.
Swerving the Southern and British route
Peds
YouTube boxing
Amount of belts
Trainers and promoters bigger than boxers and fights.
Multiple subscriptions and ppv.

I am rapidly losing interest. Followed the sport since late 70s
[email protected]
Super Flyweight

Post by [email protected] »

Spud wrote: 08 Oct 2022, 14:03
ThereByTheGrace wrote: 08 Oct 2022, 11:47 It just a business now.
completely correct
always was ! remember eubank sr making a big point of this back in the day - nothings changed except more ££££
[email protected]
Super Flyweight

Post by [email protected] »

Glass Joe wrote: 08 Oct 2022, 14:08 So far this year on the dark side

MTK being canned
Benn drugs thing
Fury Joshua circus

probably a load more
fury bullshit fountain
KiwiRider
Super Bantamweight

Post by KiwiRider »

Coco wrote: 08 Oct 2022, 13:30 Is boxing so much worse than before?

Correct. 'Dirty' Don King knew no bounds. But you would expect all the advances in science and testing to have some positive effect of ridding the sport of cheats. But instead we get lawyers and excuses and very little in the way of discouragement for dirty fighters.
If the results were not leaked, this fight would have gone ahead, with virtually all parties involved compliant with there being an obvious cheat.
That part grinds my gears.
And no talk of a ban, just a reschedule and everyone gets paid.
It's bad, for 2022 it's 1980 bad.
Lenny Cravats
Super Lightweight

Post by Lenny Cravats »

Ricky wrote: 08 Oct 2022, 14:41
Boxerbeetle wrote: 08 Oct 2022, 13:47 Nothing beats a proper fight, would never turn my back on boxing completely.

The shows are fvcking awful. They consist of mismatched fights, and woman fights, with about 45 minutes of ads and opinions from Jonny fvckng Nelson filling the long gaps in-between.

Compared to UFC, the production value of a boxing card is absymal. Borderline unwatchable.
I don't watch UFC, don't have the time to get into another sport, really.

With you on the rest of it though, Rick.

I cancelled all sports at home. I catch the big fights at the pub, don't normally bother with the undercard.
rd350lc
Lightweight

Post by rd350lc »

As in all sports nowadays big bucks is the root of the problem .
Those poor buggers on the undercard of "tonight's " fight not getting a bean for all their endeavours .
KiwiRider
Super Bantamweight

Post by KiwiRider »

rd350lc wrote: 08 Oct 2022, 15:30 As in all sports nowadays big bucks is the root of the problem .
Those poor buggers on the undercard of "tonight's " fight not getting a bean for all their endeavours .
And you can bet the arsewipe responsible won't be giving any of his wealth to help them at least cover their costs.
rd350lc
Lightweight

Post by rd350lc »

KiwiRider wrote: 08 Oct 2022, 15:37
rd350lc wrote: 08 Oct 2022, 15:30 As in all sports nowadays big bucks is the root of the problem .
And you can bet the arsewipe responsible won't be giving any of his wealth to help them at least cover their costs.
Now that would be a good start in rebuilding a tarnished reputation , but yes it'll never happen .
KiwiRider
Super Bantamweight

Post by KiwiRider »

pat123 wrote: 08 Oct 2022, 14:49 Big fights not being made. Crawford never had a definig fight.
Fury v Joshua
Journey men and small hall boxing
Womens boxing.
Swerving the Southern and British route
Peds
YouTube boxing
Amount of belts
Trainers and promoters bigger than boxers and fights.
Multiple subscriptions and ppv.

I am rapidly losing interest. Followed the sport since late 70s
Good list.