Can You Forgive One Of Your Favourite Boxers Failing a PED Test? Please Explain Your Reasoning.

Can You Forgive One Of Your Favourite Boxers Failing a PED Test?

Yes
35%
No
65%

Total votes: 48

keithmoonhangover
Middleweight

Can You Forgive One Of Your Favourite Boxers Failing a PED Test? Please Explain Your Reasoning.

Post by keithmoonhangover »

It's a no from me. PEDs have no place in the sport of boxing.

I was a Tyson Fury fan from the start, but once he failed the test, that was me finished. Povetkin was another difficult one to take.
Boxerbeetle
Super Welterweight

Re: Can You Forgive One Of Your Favourite Boxers Failing a PED Test? Please Explain Your Reasoning.

Post by Boxerbeetle »

No chance. Should be banned for life.
jameswilson
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Re: Can You Forgive One Of Your Favourite Boxers Failing a PED Test? Please Explain Your Reasoning.

Post by jameswilson »

Yeah it’s a funny one I will watch Fury and Canelo fights and will likely follow Benn’s career so by that definition I’m a hypocrite. Can I fully become a fan of any boxer now? I just think the taint in the sport goes way further than just those getting caught.
big lennox
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by big lennox »

keithmoonhangover wrote: 01 Dec 2022, 12:20 It's a no from me. PEDs have no place in the sport of boxing.

I was a Tyson Fury fan from the start, but once he failed the test, that was me finished. Povetkin was another difficult one to take.
Agreed. It makes you question whether what you are watching is real.

Also, you are literally hitting your opponent with more, and harder, punches than would be the case if you weren't on PEDS. The only sympathy I have is if they genuinely believe that PEDS is the only way to compete on an even field.
skanksta
Light Heavyweight

Post by skanksta »

Good for you for KMH and BB.

I agree with you both, but - like a lot of us - I'm a massive hypocrite.
I wish they were all banned and de-platformed forever, but they're not..., and so I watch. :shame:
KiwiRider
Super Bantamweight

Post by KiwiRider »

Boxerbeetle wrote: 01 Dec 2022, 12:29 No chance. Should be banned for life.
Harsh, but it would be the best way to halt the rot.
Fail a test?
Time to hang up the gloves. No crossovers from Am to Pro either.
Now that would send a message.
Wee Tommy
Light Heavyweight

Post by Wee Tommy »

Yes and it wouldn’t have to be a favourite of mine. It’s so prevalent you’d end up having to stop watching boxing, if you were being honest with yourself.
maverick23
Super Welterweight

Post by maverick23 »

I don’t think all failed tests are equal.

I don’t think Enzo Maccarinelli was a cheat and I also don’t think Canelo is either and I’ve read a fair bit about his case. I don’t really think of them as cheats.

There are others, like our old friend Larry, like Jarrell Miller, who should be banned from the sport for life.
gilgamesh
Middleweight

Post by gilgamesh »

Absolutely

I couldn't care less if every single Athlete in the World in every single sport was on PED's. Makes no difference to me.
JamesPhilips
Light Flyweight

Post by JamesPhilips »

All top fighters are on PEDs. He only crime is getting caught
THEBUTCH
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by THEBUTCH »

If PEDS were taken deliberately, then no :shame:
handsofstone
Middleweight

Post by handsofstone »

gilgamesh wrote: 01 Dec 2022, 13:30 Absolutely

I couldn't care less if every single Athlete in the World in every single sport was on PED's. Makes no difference to me.
Exactly and they should allowed plaster of Paris in their wraps as well and a hammer if they fall more than 3 rounds behind
Cent0089
Super Lightweight

Post by Cent0089 »

Of course yes ..... Im not saying PEDS are not big problem in boxing and sport overall ...... but every elite athlete is on some kind of PEDs during their career. What i cannot stand is hypocrite fans who condemn Fury, Canelo and Benn recently because of PED cases on one side, but same fans honoring Klitschkos, Tyson, Leonard or Hagler on other side. LOL.
GreenLightning
Super Welterweight

Post by GreenLightning »

Cent0089 wrote: 01 Dec 2022, 17:30 Of course yes ..... Im not saying PEDS are not big problem in boxing and sport overall ...... but every elite athlete is on some kind of PEDs during their career. What i cannot stand is hypocrite fans who condemn Fury, Canelo and Benn recently because of PED cases on one side, but same fans honoring Klitschkos, Tyson, Leonard or Hagler on other side. LOL.

Tyson is Teflon, guy pretty much threatened to rape a reporter on camera but he's just misunderstood
GreenLightning
Super Welterweight

Post by GreenLightning »

handsofstone wrote: 01 Dec 2022, 15:36
gilgamesh wrote: 01 Dec 2022, 13:30 Absolutely

Exactly and they should allowed plaster of Paris in their wraps as well and a hammer if they fall more than 3 rounds behind

That's a good point actually, is PEDs that much different than loading your gloves??
joshj909
Super Bantamweight

Post by joshj909 »

keithmoonhangover wrote: 01 Dec 2022, 12:20 It's a no from me. PEDs have no place in the sport of boxing.

Wasn't the Povetkin one a bit of a unique situation where the drug was recently banned but traces can stay in the body for months after? Same situation as Sharapova whose Dr was prescribing it.
maverick23 wrote: 01 Dec 2022, 13:27 I don’t think all failed tests are equal.

I don’t think Enzo Maccarinelli was a cheat and I also don’t think Canelo is either and I’ve read a fair bit about his case. I don’t really think of them as cheats.

There are others, like our old friend Larry, like Jarrell Miller, who should be banned from the sport for life.
I agree with this. There are different drugs, different scenarios and different excuses where some are much more plausible than others. Every athlete should be incredibly careful what they put into their body but some are doing things with the intention to knowingly cheat and a in the case of Jarrell Miller, cheat as much as he possibly could.

In MMA, there are two guys with failed tests I see differently. Jon Jones, known asshole, has failed for roids in his peak and has managed to get away with it time and time again. Anderson Silva tested positive once towards the end of a long career following a devastating leg break and a lengthy lay off. I tend to believe what Anderson did was definitely wrong but it was clearly a confidence issue whereas Jones just wanted to cheat to win. I probably have bias with that but each scenario is different. I still believe both should've had a ban atleast though.
Wee Tommy
Light Heavyweight

Post by Wee Tommy »

joshj909 wrote: 02 Dec 2022, 09:25

Wasn't the Povetkin one a bit of a unique situation where the drug was recently banned but traces can stay in the body for months after? Same situation as Sharapova whose Dr was prescribing it.
maverick23 wrote: 01 Dec 2022, 13:27 I don’t think all failed tests are equal.

I agree with this. There are different drugs, different scenarios and different excuses where some are much more plausible than others. Every athlete should be incredibly careful what they put into their body but some are doing things with the intention to knowingly cheat and a in the case of Jarrell Miller, cheat as much as he possibly could.

In MMA, there are two guys with failed tests I see differently. Jon Jones, known asshole, has failed for roids in his peak and has managed to get away with it time and time again. Anderson Silva tested positive once towards the end of a long career following a devastating leg break and a lengthy lay off. I tend to believe what Anderson did was definitely wrong but it was clearly a confidence issue whereas Jones just wanted to cheat to win. I probably have bias with that but each scenario is different. I still believe both should've had a ban atleast though.
Anderson used his compounds to heal his injury.
Spud
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Spud »

I dont know how certain boxers & ex boxers face the cameras.

I worked in the sport for 22 years and only got suspicious about a couple of boxers.

Drug cheats disgust me.
JamesPhilips
Light Flyweight

Post by JamesPhilips »

Spud wrote: 02 Dec 2022, 10:19 I dont know how certain boxers & ex boxers face the cameras.

I worked in the sport for 22 years and only got suspicious about a couple of boxers.

Drug cheats disgust me.
What about David Haye?
Glass Joe
Welterweight

Post by Glass Joe »

Give Enzo Macc a free pass. He was just stupid, taking a sports magazine supplement.
CaptainSpacerod
Super Featherweight

Post by CaptainSpacerod »

Wee Tommy wrote: 01 Dec 2022, 13:19 Yes and it wouldn’t have to be a favourite of mine. It’s so prevalent you’d end up having to stop watching boxing, if you were being honest with yourself.
Spot on. We’d all love a sport in which the protagonists were squeaky clean but in reality the vast majority of top guys are on it.
keithmoonhangover
Middleweight

JamesPhilips wrote: 02 Dec 2022, 10:50
Spud wrote: 02 Dec 2022, 10:19 I dont know how certain boxers & ex boxers face the cameras.

Drug cheats disgust me.
What about David Haye?
He opted out of the WBC clean boxing program before the Bellew fight. That doesn't make him guilty though.
JamesPhilips
Light Flyweight

Post by JamesPhilips »

keithmoonhangover wrote: 02 Dec 2022, 11:03

Drug cheats disgust me.
What about David Haye?
He opted out of the WBC clean boxing program before the Bellew fight. That doesn't make him guilty though.

No I’m asking spud if he believes Haye ever did PEDs as he worked with him so closely
keithmoonhangover
Middleweight

JamesPhilips wrote: 02 Dec 2022, 11:20
keithmoonhangover wrote: 02 Dec 2022, 11:03

What about David Haye?

No I’m asking spud if he believes Haye ever did PEDs as he worked with him so closely
I know, I was just passing comment. :TU: