13%
Pettis - Decision
7%

Total votes: 15

Ruthless-RKO
Lightweight

Re: Roy Jones Jr. vs. Anthony Pettis | PPV.com - April 1, 2023

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Facing Anthony Pettis, another MMA star wanting to box, Jones explained his decision to participate in a 76th pro outing.

“I wanted to fight Anderson Silva back in the day, but it kept getting pushed to the side. “It was intriguing when they told me about the Pettis fight,” said Jones.

“He’s done things in MMA that no one has ever done. I couldn’t say no to facing someone else with the same kind of creative mind.”

On what kind of challenge Pettis will bring, Jones added: “He’s different. He’s very creative with his style and knows what he’s doing.

“Pettis is sparring with guys like former world champion Caleb Plant. That’s the right kind of sparring. He’s not playing boxing. He’s serious about it.”

Despite Masvidal promoting Jones, who himself has a promotional company, “RJJ” feels he had much to do with the inception of crossovers.

“I was the first to come up with the crossover boxing vs. MMA fight idea, but I never got to do it. This was the perfect opportunity,” outlined the Florida native.

“I know he’s going to go hard with his boxing because he’s facing one of the greats. If I were playing Michael Jordan one-on-one, I’d put everything into it.”

Why is Roy Jones Jr returning?

Concluding on why he chose to return after five years, Jones stated: “My game is to help put on an excellent card for the people.

“My goal in boxing has always been to give people what they want to see. I love that I fight in a place I’ve never been [the Fiserv Forum in Milwaukee].

“They have the Greek Freak [Giannis Antetokounmpo] there. We’re both freaks in the ring, so why not make it happen?

“When you get the opportunity, you’ve got to shoot your shot, and that’s what we do.

“I’m older, but I’m still wise. What better way for him to learn boxing than against someone who knows everything about the sport?”
dan28uk
Middleweight

Post by dan28uk »

can't believe the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services have issued him with pro license at 54 he looked terrible against tyson in that exhibition
Ruthless-RKO
Lightweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Noxy
Welterweight

Post by Noxy »

Jones is amazing - he just can’t get enough.
Noxy
Welterweight

Post by Noxy »

Ruthless-RKO wrote: 01 Apr 2023, 06:01
Too right!
Ruthless-RKO
Lightweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

This done yet,?
JCS
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by JCS »

Jones/Pettis in the 6th. This is pretty horrible shit. I can't imagine having paid for this.
margaret thatcher
Bantamweight

Post by margaret thatcher »

when you beat a legend, you become a legend :yay:
gregregegg
Featherweight

Post by gregregegg »

Anthony Pettis now has a win over a p4p legend. Surely jake Paul is eying him up as a toataly legit pro boxer opponent…
Ruthless-RKO
Lightweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Roy Jones Jr. takes loss in stride

“For me, I like to come in and entertain the fans,” said 54-year-old ring legend Roy Jones Jr. after losing his fight against pro-debuting MMA fighter Anthony Pettis on Saturday night in Milwaukee. “My job is to come in and make sure that the fans get what they paid for, and I’m all good with that. I think it was a good fight. He did a great job and fought a very smart fight. I think I educated him and taught him a lot in this fight. So I think if I fought him again it would be even better because he knows a lot more now. I think it would be a really good rematch.

“I don’t do exhibitions, I fight real fights,”
added Jones Jr. “I’m not an exhibition guy, I’m a real guy. I want to win, or I want to lose. But I’m going to go out on my shield, and I want to be able to do it again as many times as I want to. At 54 years old, that’s a beautiful thing, and he already said he’d do it again because one judge had it even. So that’s what I love.”