Jai Opetaia

Ruthless-RKO
Lightweight

Jai Opetaia

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Jai Opetaia Update

On February 14, IBF cruiserweight champion Jai Opetaia requested a 60-day medical extension. The request was approved and the extension will expire on June 1, pursuant to rule 5.D.3 of the IBF Rules Governing Championship Contests.

The IBF is due to order Jai Opetaia to begin negotiations for his mandatory defense of the cruiserweight title approximately on April 1, or sixty days prior to his mandatory due date.

Jai Opetaia may request a Rule 11 Exception to extend his mandatory due date pursuant to this rule.
Ruthless-RKO
Lightweight

Re: Jai Opetaia

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Jai Opetaia Faces Being Stripped Of IBF Title Ahead Of Planned Fight Versus Ellis Zorro

Jai Opetaia is now stuck with the decision to keep his title or proceed with his scheduled fight.

Boxing Scene has confirmed that the reigning cruiserweight champion was never granted permission by the IBF to proceed with a voluntary title defense versus England’s Ellis Zorro. The fight is currently scheduled to be a part of the December 23 blockbuster event in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

However, the sanctioning body has now made it clear that he will be stripped of the title if he proceeded with the fight. Opetaia was previously ordered to honor a mandatory title defense versus Latvia’s Mairis Briedis, whom he defeated last July 2 to claim the crown.

That is the fight that the sanctioning body now expects to next take place and the only one it will approve. Zorro is unranked by the IBF, which further complicated the matter.

Fox Sports’ Ben Damon was the first to report this story.

Several factors stand in the way of Opetaia’s current plans as he meets with his management to determine next steps.

The unbeaten lineal and IBF cruiserweight king was already afforded a voluntary title defense versus England’s Jordan Thompson, when it was learned that Briedis was recovering from an injury and not in position to proceed with the targeted September 30 fight date.

Opetaia (23-0, 18KOs) blasted out the unbeaten but badly overmatched Thompson inside of four rounds for the first defense of his title.

The IBF immediately called for an Opetaia-Briedis rematch. The two sides were unable to reach a deal, which prompted the sanctioning body to schedule a November 21 purse bid hearing.

However, Opetaia’s placement on the December 23 show—featuring Anthony Joshua and Deontay Wilder in separate co-main events—was widely speculated by that point. Boxing Scene learned that it would no longer come versus Briedis, whose team agreed to not object to the fight but who fully expected the mandatory to still take place within the IBF’s imposed deadline.

That concession was made in lieu of false rumors that Briedis was injured and unable to prepare for the fight in time.

IBF rules forbid consecutive voluntary title defenses in events where the reigning champion already has an assigned mandatory challenger.

Boxing fans and media members eager to rail against the sanctioning body have already pointed out the number of exceptions granted to Jermell Charlo in lieu of a long overdue mandatory versus Bakhram Murtazaliev. Charlo was permitted to enter back-to-back undisputed championship clashes versus Brian Castano. Jeison Rosario held the WBA and IBF titles at the time of his approved September 2020 unification versus Charlo, to which Murtazaliev’s team agreed in exchange for a step-aside package that included cash and a non-televised undercard slot.

A similar agreement was afforded the unbeaten Russian for the July 2021 meeting between Charlo and Castano which ended in a draw. Murtazaliev fought twice more on Premier Boxing Champions (PBC)-branded events as he awaited his shot at the full crown.

Charlo was recently ordered to next face Murtazaliev in the wake of his lopsided defeat to undisputed super middleweight champion Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez. The mandatory title fight was due to head to a purse bid before Charlo agreed to relinquish the title, which will now be on the line in an ordered bout between Murtazaliev and Germany’s Jack Culcay.

The circumstances for Opetaia-Zorro pale in comparison.

Zorro (17-0, 7KOs) is ranked number-eleven by both the WBA and WBO. The unbeaten Brit earned the latter ranking with two straight wins in WBO-sanctioned regional title fights. Both were scheduled for ten rounds, having previously never fought more than eight rounds. He has never fought with an IBF regional title at stake or versus the type of competition that would warrant a granted exception to challenge for the division’s top prize.

Opetaia could still move forward with the fight, which would net a far bigger payday than if he were to keep the title and honor the sanctioning body’s ruling. In that event, he would be stripped of the physical belt but could still face Zorro as the lineal champion. For the sake of a trophy at stake, Opetaia could defend The Ring cruiserweight championship versus Zorro, who is not ranked by the publication or any other independent ratings board.

Boxing Scene has not been able to verify if his IBF title status is dependent upon his placement on the December 23 show. For now, Opetaia-Zorro is one of two titles fights on the show. The other pits WBA light heavyweight titlist Dmitry Bivol (21-0, 11KOs) versus Manchester’s Lyndon Arthur (23-1, 16KOs).

Bivol’s team considered at least three opponents for the offered slot on the show, including unbeaten Richard ‘Popeye the Sailor Man’ Rivera who appeared to be the frontrunner. However, Boxing Scene has learned that the event organizers preferred Arthur given his IBO light heavyweight title status.

Should the IBF proceed with its intention to strip Opetaia, a vacant title fight would be ordered between Briedis and the next highest ranked, available contender.

Former WBO super middleweight titlist Gilberto ‘Zurdo’ Ramirez (45-1, 30KOs) is currently ranked number four, one spot below Brieidis. Poland’s Michal Cieslak (25-2, 19KOs) is ranked number-five and has won four straight since a loss to Lawrence Okolie in their vacant WBO cruiserweight title fight last February.

Briedis has not fought since his loss to Opetaia last summer. Ramirez has fought just once at cruiserweight, which came in an October 7 win over Joe Smith Jr. in a bout contested at a contracted weight of 193 pounds.
gregregegg
Featherweight

Post by gregregegg »

How the fuk can you screw up like this? IBF notoriously take no shit, you gunna fight a guy they don’t even rank without their permission? Second voluntary without their permission?

I hope the Saudis can splash enough cash to get Briedis in there December 23 and Zorro payed for his fuk about.

If Jai gets stripped that is horrific management by his team.
ninetypercent
Light Heavyweight

Post by ninetypercent »

Not sure I totally agree with that criticism Greg. Depends what he gets paid to fight in Riyadh. Titles aren't as important as they used to be.
If he gets paid well and blasts Zorro out of the ring in front of a massive audience there will be other titles.

Depends if he's as good as I think he is.
gregregegg
Featherweight

Post by gregregegg »

ninetypercent wrote: 10 Dec 2023, 04:58 Not sure I totally agree with that criticism Greg. Depends what he gets paid to fight in Riyadh. Titles aren't as important as they used to be.
If he gets paid well and blasts Zorro out of the ring in front of a massive audience there will be other titles.

ok if he is getting legit multi milllions... but why would the saudis pay multi millions for a non title fight between a fairly low profile australian and an even lower profile brit? wont even be on the main card probably.

Its a well paid tune up, but i just cant see whats next for jai without a title.... so much risk, so little reward fighting jai. people wouldent unify with him... why would they give him a volantary.

Mabey im crazy but it just feels silly to me.
Ruthless-RKO
Lightweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

gregregegg wrote: 10 Dec 2023, 05:14
ninetypercent wrote: 10 Dec 2023, 04:58 Not sure I totally agree with that criticism Greg. Depends what he gets paid to fight in Riyadh. Titles aren't as important as they used to be.

ok if he is getting legit multi milllions... but why would the saudis pay multi millions for a non title fight between a fairly low profile australian and an even lower profile brit? wont even be on the main card probably.

Its a well paid tune up, but i just cant see whats next for jai without a title.... so much risk, so little reward fighting jai. people wouldent unify with him... why would they give him a volantary.

No doubt he’s getting a career high payday.. may not even be millions. What if it’s just $2m? It’s an easy win and he can always win back the belts cus he’s good enuf.

But having worked with the Saudi’s once.. he can work for them again.
gregregegg
Featherweight

Post by gregregegg »

Ruthless-RKO wrote: 10 Dec 2023, 06:53

No doubt he’s getting a career high payday.. may not even be millions. What if it’s just $2m? It’s an easy win and he can always win back the belts cus he’s good enuf.

You think he is getting 2 million to fight zorro? I find that very hard to believe. non title fight 5th or 6th on the card... I find that hard to belive.

The only figure im seeing is 450,000 USD... great money for a borderline tune up. but in my opinion, not drop your belt money.

I just think his team got cocky and though IBF would let him do it and didnt bother checking.
Ruthless-RKO
Lightweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

gregregegg wrote: 10 Dec 2023, 07:07
Ruthless-RKO wrote: 10 Dec 2023, 06:53

You think he is getting 2 million to fight zorro? I find that very hard to believe. non title fight 5th or 6th on the card... I find that hard to belive.

The only figure im seeing is 450,000 USD... great money for a borderline tune up. but in my opinion, not drop your belt money.

I just think his team got cocky and though IBF would let him do it and didnt bother checking.
I don’t think that.. I’m just guessing.

He probably got less that 450k when he won the belt.

You know a world title fight doesn’t mean you’re getting paid well.

Bellew got paid more to fight Haye in a non title fight than he did his whole career combined, which included multiple world title fights, Euro, British and commonwealth.

He actually got £2.4m or there abouts against Haye first time. He said it was double his full career earning.
Ruthless-RKO
Lightweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Jai Opetaia to vacate IBF cruiserweight title to fight Ellis Zorro in Saudi for half a million pound payday

Jai Opetaia set to earn $680,000 in next fight with Ellis Zorro

Unbeaten Aussie Jai Opetaia (23-0, 18 KO) is reportedly agreeing a deal to fight twice in Saudi Arabia, during their Riyadh Season, in December (against Ellis Zorro) and March too, in what will produce a career-best pay day of $680,000, which equates to over £500,000.

The IBF cruiserweight champion first meets South Lounder Zorro on December 23 on the bumper 'Day of Reckoning' card, co-headlined by Anthony Joshua vs Otto Wallin and Deontay Wilder vs Joseph Parker.

The International Boxing Federation ideally wanted their 200lbs champion to fight thier mandatory challenger, Mairis Briedis, but promoter Eddie Hearn has declared he isn't ready for the Christmas card.

The IBF then warned Hearn, “We've made it clear to Jai's team that he cannot fight Ellis Zorro for the title.

“We had already given Jai an exemption to fight Jordan Thompson in his last fight. So he can’t get another exemption to fight Zorro, who has no world ranking.

“In our rules, it can’t be done. He can’t have back-to-back exemptions. If we break the rules for Jai, it opens the floodgates for everyone else.

“The IBF has notified Jai’s team that he cannot fight Zorro. We’ve said his next fight has to be his mandatory against Briedis.

“If Jai Opetaia goes ahead and fights Zorro, he will be stripped of his IBF world title.”

Matchroom money-maker, Hearn, responded, “I think belts matter. To be a world champion holds value, no question. But it would be best if you didn’t let it disrupt and distract your career.

“For Jai, those two fights could finally secure his and his children’s futures. You’ll let a belt, a governing body, and a committee stop you from doing that?

“We should all abide by rules, but if rules are inconsistent or unfair, you have to stand up against them.”

The 28-year-old Australian, who is also the Ring Magazine champion, added, “There’s a big part of me that’s so grateful to be part of this card, but I’ve earned my spot here.

“On December 23, I will show why I’m the best cruiserweight in the world and the king of the division.

“It doesn’t matter who is put in front of me. I have to beat them. I have a new mission, so let’s get it done. I’m ready. This is what I do.”

Opetaia’s clash with Zorro was one of just two world title fights on the bumber bill. Dmitry Bivol vs Lyndon Arthur remains the only championship clash left.

BBN Editor, Tim Rickson, shared his thoughts, “The IBF are very strict on their rules; too strict in a lot of people's opinions, especially after stripping Terence Crawford very recently because he has a rematch clause with Errol Spence when the IBF don't recognise rematches. So, again, I believe they are being overly strict here.

“If the mandatory challenger isn't ready until next year, then I cannot fathom why anyone would want to deny a world champion an interim fight, where he will remain active and earn money for his family. They have already stated that non-ranking cruiserweight Ellis Zorro cannot fight for their world title, which I fully respect, so why can't they fight anyway without the title? It makes no sense to me why they wouldn't wish for their world champion to secure a payday and a bt of activity, which will make for a better fighter when the mandatory fight can be made.”
bogan whisperer
Welterweight

Post by bogan whisperer »

That's great money for someone fighting a mismatch. buried deep in an undercard.
Ruthless-RKO
Lightweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

“It’s bullshit. It’s no f*****g right,” Opetaia told Fox Sports in Australia. “They’ve really left me with no choice, you know what I mean? This is a massive card that I can’t say no to. So they’ve stripped me. But it is what it is. They can do what they want. I’ll get the belts back. All I’ve got to do is train hard, keep winning, and they’ll come back to me. I’m going to get the job done on December 23rd. When that one is done, we’re going to get another job done….The belts will come back. They have to. They can’t deny me.”
joshj909
Featherweight

Post by joshj909 »

That's less money than I thought. When they said life changing money, I was expecting millions. Should be easy money anyway. Though, why didn't they just get him a proper opponent that the IBF were happy with?
Ruthless-RKO
Lightweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

joshj909 wrote: 18 Dec 2023, 10:43 That's less money than I thought. When they said life changing money, I was expecting millions. Should be easy money anyway. Though, why didn't they just get him a proper opponent that the IBF were happy with?
It's over $1m AUD$

But it's carer high payday.. We don't know what he's been paid for his other fights or his previous 1-2 fights.

What if it's only been $100k-$200k -- just because you have a world title doesn't mean you will be on good money.

He actually signed a 2-fight deal.. So it's not just one off. He gets another Saudi-paid fight. It's a no-brainer.

Legacy, belts, money.. Boxing is a short career.. Gotta make that bread where you can. Belts will always be there. he's in his prime.
skanksta
Cruiserweight

Post by skanksta »

680k US$ is life-changing money and for fighting Zorro !
I think Jai's attitude is spot-on, take the money, win the fight well in front of a huge audience and he'll win his belts back soon enough... :box:
p4p1
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by p4p1 »

He does have the ring title which holds some value. I would argue more than the alphabet organisations. There is a chance that after he is stripped he becomes #2 contender and ends up fighting his mandatory for the vacant title. IBF might not be willing to break the rules but they may be willing for a work around that still allows him to become their champion again relatively easily.
Ruthless-RKO
Lightweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Jai Opetaia To Land on Feb. 17 Fury-Usyk Undercard; Will Train With Fury Ahead Of Championship Defense

The sport’s reigning lineal heavyweight and cruiserweight champions will not only share a card but a training camp as well.

BS.com has confirmed that Jai Opetaia will next appear on the undercard of the February 17 Tyson Fury-Oleksandr Usyk heavyweight championship in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

A challenger was not immediately identified as this goes to publication. Boxing Scene has learned, however, that Opetaia will head to Fury’s training camp this weekend to spar with the sport’s reigning heavyweight king leading up to their separate championship title defenses.

The placement marks a quick turnaround for Sydney’s Opetaia (24-0, 19KOs), who will attempt the third defense of the true cruiserweight championship.

This bout comes less than two months after his December 23 first-round knockout of England’s Ellis Zorro (17-1, 7KOs) on the ‘Day Of Reckoning’ undercard also in Riyadh. All three title defenses will now come within a span of less than five months after having sat out much of 2023 while recovering from shoulder surgery.

Opetaia made headlines leading up to the Zorro fight, mainly surrounding the circumstances which forced him to relinquish the IBF cruiserweight title.

He was previously ordered to face Latvia’s Mairis Briedis, whom he outpointed over twelve furious rounds in July 2022 to dethrone the three-time cruiserweight champ. The two sides could not reach a deal for what would have been a rematch, which prompted the IBF to order a purse bid.

However, Opetaia already committed to fighting on the Day of Reckoning show, to which Briedis did not object on the condition he still get his mandatory title shot within the deadline period. The IBF nixed the idea, given that Opetaia already used up a voluntary exception when he faced and defeated England’s Jordan Thompson last September.

Ironically, the February 17 date will mark Opetaia’s third fight since Briedis last appeared in the ring in their July 2022 thriller. Briedis is next due to face Mexico’s Gilberto ‘Zurdo’ Ramirez for the vacant title. The date is pending the outcome of a scheduled January 16 purse bid hearing.

A favorable amount of sympathy was granted to the unbeaten 28-year-old—who represented Australia as a teenager in the 2012 London Olympics—who retained his standing as the recognized cruiserweight champion.

An added layer should come from his time that will be spent in the presence of England’s Fury (34-0-1, 24KOs), who faces Ukraine’s Usyk (21-0, 14KOs) in a bid to crown the sport’s first undisputed heavyweight champion in 25 years. Fury gets something out of it as well in a 6'2" southpaw sparring partner who roughly matches Usyk's physical dimensions.

Fury survived a major scare but couldn’t avoid negative press as his far too competitive and razor-thin victory over Francis Ngannou, a former UFC heavyweight champion who made his pro boxing debut. Their October 28 bout did not come with Fury’s WBC title on the line, but he nearly suffered his first defeat as he was dropped in the third round. Fury rallied to escape with a ten-round, split decision victory.

It was theorized that his preparation for that bout miserably paled in comparison to the work put in for past camps. Fury regained his place atop the heavyweight division with a February 2020 lineal/WBC championship-winning stoppage over Deontay Wilder. Three title defenses have followed, all inside the distance.
Ruthless-RKO
Lightweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

He may be fighting Briedis in a rematch in Saudi