Valdez - Decision
27%

Total votes: 26

Ruthless-RKO
Lightweight

Emanuel Navarette vs. Oscar Valdez | ESPN - August 12, 2023

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Emanuel Navarrete-Oscar Valdez Battle Set

WBO junior lightweight champ and one of the hardest smaller weight champs in the sport, Emanuel Navarette of Mexico, will defend against countryman and two division world champ, Oscar Valdez on August 12th.

Our insider Dan Rafael was the first to report Monday night, that the bout will head a Top Rank Boxing show from Glendale, AZ,

Dan went on to report on his Substack that ESPN will televise the bout on one of their channels and stream it on ESPN+.

Navarrete, 37-1, 31 KOs, has amassed an impressive resume’ of KOs and stoppages since winning his first world title in a decision over Isaac Dogboe in December 2018. That includes winning nine times inside the distance in 11 fights and while claiming the WBO 126 lb. and now, 130 lb. belts in the process.

He and the popular, two division champ Valdez were to have fought for the vacant WBO junior lightweight crown left behind by Shakur Stevenson back on February 3rd. However, Valdez injured his back while in training after slipping and falling.

The main event was salvaged, as Navarrete finally stopped replacement, Australian Liam Wilson, by TKO in the ninth round of a wild fight with both men hurt. Valdez was watching at ringside, knowing he would get the first crack at the winner of that February bout.

This past Saturday on the Devin Haney-Vasiliy Lomachenko undercard in Las Vegas, Valdez, 31-1, 23 KOs, scored a dominant 10 round decision over Adam Lopez. It was Valdez’s fist time in the ring, since Stevenson whipped him easily in March of last year in a unified 130 lb. showdown.

Valdez had won his WBC title in the junior lightweight division with a brutal left hand KO over Miguel Berchelt in February 2021. Valdez controversially tested positive for a weight loss- PED prior to his title defense with Robinson Conceicao in September of 2021. He went on to score a close 12 round decision over the Brazilian contender.

Last edited by Ruthless-RKO on 07 Aug 2023, 03:51, edited 2 times in total.
Ruthless-RKO
Lightweight

Re: Emanuel Navarette vs. Oscar Valdez | ESPN - August 12, 2023

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Press Release

The showdown of the summer heads to the desert in a battle that has all the makings of an instant action classic.

Three-division world champion Emanuel “Vaquero” Navarrete will defend his WBO junior lightweight world title against former two-division world champion Oscar Valdez in an all-Mexican duel Saturday, August 12 at Desert Diamond Arena in Glendale, Arizona. Navarrete and Valdez seek to etch their names among the celebrated catalog of Mexican rivalries that includes Marco Antonio Barrera-Erik Morales, Ruben Olivares-Chucho Castillo and Rafael Marquez-Israel Vazquez.

Navarrete-Valdez will be broadcast live on ESPN, ESPN Deportes and ESPN+ at 10 p.m. ET/7 p.m. PT.

Promoted by Top Rank, ticket information will be announced shortly.

“Emanuel Navarrete and Oscar Valdez are proud warriors, and this is a fight that is destined to go down as a classic,” said Top Rank chairman Bob Arum. “The fight fans at Desert Diamond Arena and everyone watching on ESPN are in for a real treat. The winner of this fight etches his name among the great Mexican fighters. I can’t wait.”

Navarrete (37-1, 31 KOs), the fighting pride of San Juan Zitlaltepec, captured his first world title by defeating Isaac Dogboe for the WBO junior featherweight crown in December 2018. He made five defenses before moving up to featherweight, where he beat Ruben Villa for the vacant WBO title in October 2020. The 28-year-old defended his belt with victories over Christopher Diaz, Joet Gonzalez and Eduardo Baez before moving up to 130 pounds. In February, Navarrete joined an elite list of Mexican three-division champions — including Morales, Barrera and Julio Cesar Chavez — by defeating Liam Wilson via ninth-round TKO for the WBO junior lightweight world title.

Navarrete said, “After so much time, this fight will finally take place. Obviously, I am 100 percent motivated because Valdez is still a big threat, and a fight against him could possibly be the start of a new Mexico vs. Mexico rivalry like the one between Barrera and Morales."

Valdez (31-1, 23 KOs), from Nogales, represented Mexico at the 2008 and 2012 Olympics. As a pro, he captured the WBO featherweight world title against Matias Rueda in 2016 and made six successful defenses. He moved up to junior lightweight and defeated Adam Lopez in 2019 and Jayson Velez in 2020 before taking on his toughest challenge, a WBC title tilt against Miguel Berchelt in February 2021. Despite disadvantages in height, reach and power, Valdez counterpunched his way to three crushing knockdowns, the last of which earned him a 10th-round KO. After a competitive fight against Olympic gold medalist Robson Conceição later that year, Valdez suffered his first defeat in a title unification battle against Shakur Stevenson in April 2022. He bounced back by defeating Lopez in a rematch in the co-feature to the Devin Haney-Vasiliy Lomachenko super fight last month, and he now hopes to equal Navarrete as a three-time world champion.

Valdez said, “I’m excited to return to the ring, especially because it’s for a world title against ‘Vaquero’ Navarrete. Being a world champion is something that I always dreamed of. I already did it two times, and this is yet another opportunity. So, I’m excited and prepared both mentally and physically for this new opportunity. And I like that it’s between two Mexicans because it’s a win-win for Mexico. It's a guaranteed war when there are two Mexicans in the ring.”
Ruthless-RKO
Lightweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Undercard Press Release

On August 12, WBO junior lightweight world champion Emanuel “Vaquero” Navarrete will face former two-division world champion Oscar Valdez at Desert Diamond Arena in Glendale, Arizona.

U.S. Olympic silver medalist Richard Torrez Jr. will open the televised tripleheader in a six-round heavyweight tilt against Willie Jake Jr. The bout was initially scheduled for March, but Torrez tore his oblique in training.

Navarrete-Valdez, a to-be-announced co-feature, and Torrez-Jake will be broadcast live on ESPN, ESPN Deportes and ESPN+ at 10 p.m. ET/7 p.m. PT.

Torrez (5-0, 5 KOs) made his pro debut last year with a second-round stoppage win against Allen Melson. He scored three additional knockouts in 2022 before making his triumphant 2023 debut by blasting out James Bryant in the opening round. Jake (11-3-2, 3 KOs), from Indianapolis, Indiana, is a seven-year pro who has won three straight fights.

The ESPN+-streamed undercard includes some of the sports brightest young talents.

Junior welterweight Lindolfo Delgado (17-0, 13 KOs), a 2016 Mexican Olympian, puts his unbeaten record on the line against compatriot Jair Valtierra (16-2, 8 KOs) in a 10-rounder. Last August, Delgado authored a career-best victory over then-unbeaten prospect Omar Aguilar and is coming off a decision win over Florida veteran Clarence Booth at Desert Diamond Arena in February.

Undefeated lightweight prospect Emiliano Fernando Vargas (5-0, 4 KOs) will face an opponent to be named in a four-rounder. “El General” began his 2023 campaign with a decision win over Francisco Duque in February at Desert Diamond Arena. He then stopped Edgar Uvalle in two rounds in April before beating Rafael Jasso via second-round knockout the following month on the Devin Haney-Vasiliy Lomachenko undercard.

In a six-round super middleweight dual between two of Phoenix’s crowd favorites, Sergio Rodriguez (7-0-1, 6 KOs) and Eduardo Ayala (9-3-1, 3 KOs), will meet for intra-city bragging rights.

Javier “Milwaukee Made” Martinez (8-0-1, 2 KOs), who trains out of the Robert Garcia Boxing Academy, will fight Isaiah Wise (11-2-2, 6 KOs) in an eight-round middleweight clash.

Rising junior welterweight prospect Ricardo Ruvalcaba (9-0-1, 8 KOs) will make his fourth appearance of 2023 in a scheduled six-rounder. Ruvalcaba scored first-round knockouts against Kenny Williams in January, Marco Cardenas in March and Ramon Duarte Marquez in May.

Heavyweight knockout artist Antonio “El Gigante” Mireles (7-0, 6 KOs) returns in a six-rounder against Dajuan Calloway (7-2, 7 KOs). In March, the 6-foot-9, 270-pound southpaw rose off the canvas to edge Patrick Mailata by split decision.
Ruthless-RKO
Lightweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Next weekend.

Good fight this.

A lot of Top Rank fights not getting any press.
giacomino
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by giacomino »

Great action fight. Unless the Stevenson fight took a ton out of Valdez or he suddenly got old, I have to go with him. The Valdez of the Berchelt fight wins this something like 9-3.
Ruthless-RKO
Lightweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Fight Week!! :box:
Fightnight Scores
Super Bantamweight

Post by Fightnight Scores »

2 great fights in Navarette vs Valdez and Muratalla vs Nunez, two huge hitters!
Should be a fun card! :box:
Ruthless-RKO
Lightweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Press Release | Raymond Muratalla Suffers Injury, Withdraws From Navarrete-Valdez Card

Lightweight contender Raymond Muratalla suffered a training injury and has been forced to withdraw from his ESPN-televised co-feature this Saturday, Aug. 12, against fellow unbeaten Diego Torres at Desert Diamond Arena in Glendale, Arizona.

The 10-round junior welterweight tilt between rising contender Lindolfo Delgado and Jair Valtierra is the new co-feature and will be televised directly before the WBO junior lightweight world title showdown between reigning champion Emanuel Navarrete and former two-weight world champion Oscar Valdez.

Navarrete-Valdez, Delgado-Valtierra, and the heavyweight showdown between Richard Torrez Jr. and Willie Jake Jr. will be broadcast live on ESPN, ESPN Deportes and ESPN+ at 10 p.m. ET/7 p.m. PT.

Delgado (17-0, 13, KOs) represented Mexico at the 2016 Rio Olympics and won his first 11 bouts by stoppage. He made his Top Rank debut in June 2021 and outlasted then-unbeaten puncher Omar Aguilar by decision last August in a 2022 Fight of the Year contender. Delgado fought at Desert Diamond Arena in February, knocking down veteran Clarence Booth en route to a one-sided decision victory.

Valtierra (16-2, 8 KOs), from Leon, Mexico, lost an eight-round decision to Muratalla last July. He returned in February against the unbeaten Nestor Bravo, and the bout was ruled a no contest in the fourth round after a head clash opened a cut near Bravo’s right eye.
gregregegg
Featherweight

Post by gregregegg »

Good to see Torrez jr on the card, probably hasn’t been quite as active as he should be… Hard not to like him. Always nice to have a fan friendly short heavy on the way up.
gregregegg
Featherweight

Post by gregregegg »

Ruthless-RKO wrote: 10 Aug 2023, 08:58
Loveable weirdo with a silver medal that fvcking rumbles..

Hope toprank start pushing him. After jahs poor showing vs Charles Martin they might just look to have a backup plan…
Ruthless-RKO
Lightweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Below is what the fighters had to say:

Emanuel Navarrete

“We all know that this fight is raising a lot of expectations. It would be totally fraudulent if Valdez and I didn’t give 100 percent in this fight. We all know that everyone expects a war in the ring. We have all that it takes to make for a great fight.”

“I have said that the fight with Valdez was necessary for my career because of everything it represents. The rivalry between Mexicans is something essential. It’s a good thing for the fight. But boxing fans have also put a lot of pressure on me, saying that my career was missing that cherry on top. They said that I needed an impressive and iconic fight where I exert much more of myself. The fight with Valdez is that kind of fight.”

“Obviously, the fact that Barrera and Morales are here indicates that our promoter wants to tell us something. We have to do something at least similar to what they did. That is the goal. Everything is set so that we can deliver a great fight. I see Valdez, and I see that he’s ready. We’re two days away from getting into the ring, and it’s going to be a great night on Saturday.”

Oscar Valdez

“This fight means the world to me. The loss to Shakur Stevenson sparked something different in me. It woke something up. It made me realize how much I missed boxing and how much I love the sport. The year away from boxing made me miss it so much. I also miss being a world champion. So, it also means the world to me to have another opportunity to become a world champion again.”

“Camp was great. It can be in Lake Tahoe, San Diego, Guadalajara or even China. camps are always the same for me. We train hard for each fight, but for this fight we trained even harder. We trained not only harder, but smarter. We have to be smart in this fight. We had a perfect camp. Eddy Reynoso and my team have done a great job, and we’re ready for this fight.”

“It’s an honor for Barrera and Morales to be here. It means the world to be because I grew up in the era of Barrera and Morales. These two don’t know how much they inspired me. That was the era that I grew up watching. They are warriors.”

“I want to win. I want to be a world champion again. I want to show the fans a good fight. So, I am ready.”

Marco Antonio Barrera

“I’m happy to have been invited for this tremendous fight. Every time there is a Mexican boxer in the ring, you will see a war. And on this occasion, Valdez and Navarrete know what’s going to happen in the ring. I think it will be the type of fight that all Mexicans know how to deliver.”

“Fights between Mexicans will always be exciting. Here we have two Mexicans in the ring who want to be in one of the most historic fights between Mexican boxers. That’s what they are looking to do.”

Erik Morales

“This is a great opportunity for these two Mexican boxers to demonstrate that Mexican boxing is always very exciting. I’ve had the opportunity to speak with both separately. Both have said that there will be a great war. So, I’ve some to see this great war.”

“Mexicans fight because they have a big heart and for pride. The belts don’t matter. Nothing matters. The only thing that matters is determining who is the best fighter from Mexico.”
Ruthless-RKO
Lightweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Fight Night! :box:
Ruthless-RKO
Lightweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Fight Night! :box:
Ruthless-RKO
Lightweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Date: Saturday August 12, 2023
TV/Stream: ESPN | Sky Sports

Start Times
ESPN+: 6 pm ET | 3 pm PT | 11 pm BST (Preliminary Card)
ESPN: 10 pm ET | 7 pm PT (Main Card)
Sky Sports: 2 am BST (Main Card)

Promoted by: Top Rank Inc.

Main Card

WBO Super Featherweight Championship
Emanuel Navarrete vs. Oscar Valdez

6 Round Heavyweight Bout
Richard Torrez Jr vs. Willie Jake Jr.

10 Round Super Lightweight Bout
Lindolfo Delgado vs. Jair Valtierra

Undercard

4 Round Lightweight Bout
Emiliano Vargas vs. Jorge Luis Marquez Alvarado

6 Round Super Middleweight Bout
Sergio Leon Rodriguez vs. Eduardo Ayala

6 Round Super Lightweight Bout
Ricardo Ruvalcaba vs. Adrian Orban

6 Round Heavyweight Bout
Antonio Mireles vs. Dajuan Calloway
Ruthless-RKO
Lightweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Main card starts on just over an hour.
margaret thatcher
Bantamweight

Post by margaret thatcher »

matches like that are just embarassing, need someone more resilient for torrez
margaret thatcher
Bantamweight

jeez nava looks soft as hell sitting in his dressing room, my man has a gut spilling out
margaret thatcher
Bantamweight

morales and barerra sitting side by side ringside
IrishGuy
Welterweight

Post by IrishGuy »

Ring walks nearly?
margaret thatcher
Bantamweight