Muhammad Ali V Gorilla Monsoon
Posted: 09 Jul 2008, 16:05
I saw Jake The Snake Roberts in the wrestling documentary "Beyond The Mat"... He is a sad case-a cokehead...Big Bad John wrote:Ali did a tour where he was in the front row for a bunch of wrestling shows around the nation. He made a bit of cash out of it, but the wrestlers didn't like the setup. Ali would get in the ring, and the wrestler would go down for the count from a fake punch. Of course, the Gorilla routine might have been setup in advance, a lot of people believe that Gorilla simply broke from the script. He sure held on to that airplane spin for quite a while, and one of Ali's bodyguards got into the ring.
Jake "the Snake" Roberts did break from the script when Ali went to Mid South. After Ali knocked him out with a fake punch, Roberts jumped back up and did the Ali Shuffle. He later said, "Ali was never coming back, but I had to work there, you know."
Here, here! I've waited for years to see this clip again.raylawpc wrote:I don't know much about wrestling. But I took judo lessons in high school, and learned how to do a "fall" - i.e., when you are thrown but land properly so as to not get hurt (well, not hurt too much, that is). I think in wrestling, as in judo, the idea must be the same: to catch the force with your arms and legs.
Ali hit the canvas hard. He lands on his back/side and doesn't appear to catch the force with his arms or legs. It appears that Ali was really shook up from the fall. It seems to me that (a) Monsoon forgot/ignored the script and really tossed an unsuspecting Ali, or (b) it was planned, but Ali screwed up on the fall and almost hurt himself.
Either way, it sure is fun to watch!! And I thank TheOneIsHere2008 for posting it and bringing some merriment to my day!
bennie wrote:Here, here! I've waited for years to see this clip again.raylawpc wrote:I don't know much about wrestling. But I took judo lessons in high school, and learned how to do a "fall" - i.e., when you are thrown but land properly so as to not get hurt (well, not hurt too much, that is). I think in wrestling, as in judo, the idea must be the same: to catch the force with your arms and legs.
Ali hit the canvas hard. He lands on his back/side and doesn't appear to catch the force with his arms or legs. It appears that Ali was really shook up from the fall. It seems to me that (a) Monsoon forgot/ignored the script and really tossed an unsuspecting Ali, or (b) it was planned, but Ali screwed up on the fall and almost hurt himself.
Either way, it sure is fun to watch!! And I thank TheOneIsHere2008 for posting it and bringing some merriment to my day!
Does he get thrown again?TheOneIsHere2008 wrote:bennie wrote:Here, here! I've waited for years to see this clip again.raylawpc wrote:I don't know much about wrestling. But I took judo lessons in high school, and learned how to do a "fall" - i.e., when you are thrown but land properly so as to not get hurt (well, not hurt too much, that is). I think in wrestling, as in judo, the idea must be the same: to catch the force with your arms and legs.
Ali hit the canvas hard. He lands on his back/side and doesn't appear to catch the force with his arms or legs. It appears that Ali was really shook up from the fall. It seems to me that (a) Monsoon forgot/ignored the script and really tossed an unsuspecting Ali, or (b) it was planned, but Ali screwed up on the fall and almost hurt himself.
Either way, it sure is fun to watch!! And I thank TheOneIsHere2008 for posting it and bringing some merriment to my day!
Your welcome...
There are some other Ali-Wrestler videos floating around. I will try and find them for you later.
bennie wrote:Here, here! I've waited for years to see this clip again.raylawpc wrote:I don't know much about wrestling. But I took judo lessons in high school, and learned how to do a "fall" - i.e., when you are thrown but land properly so as to not get hurt (well, not hurt too much, that is). I think in wrestling, as in judo, the idea must be the same: to catch the force with your arms and legs.
Ali hit the canvas hard. He lands on his back/side and doesn't appear to catch the force with his arms or legs. It appears that Ali was really shook up from the fall. It seems to me that (a) Monsoon forgot/ignored the script and really tossed an unsuspecting Ali, or (b) it was planned, but Ali screwed up on the fall and almost hurt himself.
Either way, it sure is fun to watch!! And I thank TheOneIsHere2008 for posting it and bringing some merriment to my day!
I didnt know you did some Judo Raylaw.Thats outstanding.raylawpc wrote:I don't know much about wrestling. But I took judo lessons in high school, and learned how to do a "fall" - i.e., when you are thrown but land properly so as to not get hurt (well, not hurt too much, that is). I think in wrestling, as in judo, the idea must be the same: to catch the force with your arms and legs.
Ali hit the canvas hard. He lands on his back/side and doesn't appear to catch the force with his arms or legs. It appears that Ali was really shook up from the fall. It seems to me that (a) Monsoon forgot/ignored the script and really tossed an unsuspecting Ali, or (b) it was planned, but Ali screwed up on the fall and almost hurt himself.
Either way, it sure is fun to watch!! And I thank TheOneIsHere2008 for posting it and bringing some merriment to my day!
I agree with your 100%. Ali was throwing the jab and leaving it hanging for Gorilla to slap down and Gorilla was still slow to knock it down. Not to mention, Ali wouldn't back down from getting thrown that way. He'd pop back up and let the hands go. 100% staged.BoxBuzz wrote:looks perfectly staged with the exact scripted moves and expected outcome. Ali obviously extends his hand and waits to be picked up. Very entertaining though.
Ali walks straight out of the venue afterwards. Two scenarios: money earned or plain embarrassed.BoxBuzz wrote:Maybe he forgot the part about defending yourself at all times. And he was no match for Monsoon's lightening reflexes.
Joe Louis got involved in wrestling...Ditto for Jersey Joe Walcott... I suspect Joe wouldn't have been above the fun either...BoxBuzz wrote:My guess? A bit of both, he probably took the money AND was embarrassed. Though he did have a soft spot for wrestling (gorgeous george being a bit of an inspiration to him). So I suppose it's possible he walked out laughing, but my guess is that he just hoped it wouldn't get too much media attention and he could live with the somewhat contained embarrassment. Never suspecting that it would live forever in the future on youtube and such.
Imagine Joe Frazier in the same situation? Even if Joe initially agreed to it, he would have lost his cool and Joe and this 350 pound hulk would have been giving the crowd an unimaginable blood letting. IMHO. You can look at it two ways, Joe had way too much pride to drag boxing through the wrestling venues OR he just didn't have the sense of humor to make something like this work. (Once again probably a bit of both).
I worked with Joe in Hampton Va where he was performing with his band (more of an entourage) the Knock Outs and though I was impressed with him as a very good guy I also have to say he was pretty straightforward, strictly business and no nonsense. He knew a good time from what I could tell but his sense of humor seemed very mainstream and non-nuanced. If Lou Albano had gone a bit "off script" with Joe...I'm not sure he'd take it all in fun. Ali seemed to think the world was full of jokes and inside laughs and he seemed to usually go along for the ride.TheOneIsHere2008 wrote:Joe Louis got involved in wrestling...Ditto for Jersey Joe Walcott... I suspect Joe wouldn't have been above the fun either...BoxBuzz wrote:My guess? A bit of both, he probably took the money AND was embarrassed. Though he did have a soft spot for wrestling (gorgeous george being a bit of an inspiration to him). So I suppose it's possible he walked out laughing, but my guess is that he just hoped it wouldn't get too much media attention and he could live with the somewhat contained embarrassment. Never suspecting that it would live forever in the future on youtube and such.
Imagine Joe Frazier in the same situation? Even if Joe initially agreed to it, he would have lost his cool and Joe and this 350 pound hulk would have been giving the crowd an unimaginable blood letting. IMHO. You can look at it two ways, Joe had way too much pride to drag boxing through the wrestling venues OR he just didn't have the sense of humor to make something like this work. (Once again probably a bit of both).
I lived in Miami Beach for a spell as a kid and Chris Dundee, Angelo's brother was the promoter there...
BoxBuzz wrote:I worked with Joe in Hampton Va where he was performing with his band (more of an entourage) the Knock Outs and though I was impressed with him as a very good guy I also have to say he was pretty straightforward, strictly business and no nonsense. He knew a good time from what I could tell but his sense of humor seemed very mainstream and non-nuanced. If Lou Albano had gone a bit "off script" with Joe...I'm not sure he'd take it all in fun. Ali seemed to think the world was full of jokes and inside laughs and he seemed to usually go along for the ride.TheOneIsHere2008 wrote:Joe Louis got involved in wrestling...Ditto for Jersey Joe Walcott... I suspect Joe wouldn't have been above the fun either...BoxBuzz wrote:My guess? A bit of both, he probably took the money AND was embarrassed. Though he did have a soft spot for wrestling (gorgeous george being a bit of an inspiration to him). So I suppose it's possible he walked out laughing, but my guess is that he just hoped it wouldn't get too much media attention and he could live with the somewhat contained embarrassment. Never suspecting that it would live forever in the future on youtube and such.
Imagine Joe Frazier in the same situation? Even if Joe initially agreed to it, he would have lost his cool and Joe and this 350 pound hulk would have been giving the crowd an unimaginable blood letting. IMHO. You can look at it two ways, Joe had way too much pride to drag boxing through the wrestling venues OR he just didn't have the sense of humor to make something like this work. (Once again probably a bit of both).
I lived in Miami Beach for a spell as a kid and Chris Dundee, Angelo's brother was the promoter there...
That's just my take on it, I spent a bit of time around Joe but only met Ali briefly as walked through the Ritz Carlton in New York and I managed a quick hello and a handshake. Didn't even think to get an autograph. I got Joe's on a table napkin where he say's "Boogie Boogie Boogie" and signed his name.
BoxBuzz wrote:I worked with Joe in Hampton Va where he was performing with his band (more of an entourage) the Knock Outs and though I was impressed with him as a very good guy I also have to say he was pretty straightforward, strictly business and no nonsense. He knew a good time from what I could tell but his sense of humor seemed very mainstream and non-nuanced. If Lou Albano had gone a bit "off script" with Joe...I'm not sure he'd take it all in fun. Ali seemed to think the world was full of jokes and inside laughs and he seemed to usually go along for the ride.TheOneIsHere2008 wrote:Joe Louis got involved in wrestling...Ditto for Jersey Joe Walcott... I suspect Joe wouldn't have been above the fun either...BoxBuzz wrote:My guess? A bit of both, he probably took the money AND was embarrassed. Though he did have a soft spot for wrestling (gorgeous george being a bit of an inspiration to him). So I suppose it's possible he walked out laughing, but my guess is that he just hoped it wouldn't get too much media attention and he could live with the somewhat contained embarrassment. Never suspecting that it would live forever in the future on youtube and such.
Imagine Joe Frazier in the same situation? Even if Joe initially agreed to it, he would have lost his cool and Joe and this 350 pound hulk would have been giving the crowd an unimaginable blood letting. IMHO. You can look at it two ways, Joe had way too much pride to drag boxing through the wrestling venues OR he just didn't have the sense of humor to make something like this work. (Once again probably a bit of both).
I lived in Miami Beach for a spell as a kid and Chris Dundee, Angelo's brother was the promoter there...
That's just my take on it, I spent a bit of time around Joe but only met Ali briefly as walked through the Ritz Carlton in New York and I managed a quick hello and a handshake. Didn't even think to get an autograph. I got Joe's on a table napkin where he say's "Boogie Boogie Boogie" and signed his name.
Starcade 1984, son. Joe Frazier was the special guest referee.Expug wrote:I cant imagine Smokin Joe doing the wrestling gig.
Who the f... are you callin son?Big Bad John wrote:Starcade 1984, son. Joe Frazier was the special guest referee.Expug wrote:I cant imagine Smokin Joe doing the wrestling gig.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdA0KuYARYQ