Suggestions for BoxRec - Archived

SportsRatings
Super Middleweight

Re: I'm Not A Robot

Post by SportsRatings »

margaret thatcher wrote: 29 Sep 2020, 23:52
SportsRatings wrote: 29 Sep 2020, 21:14 A few months ago a change was made to Boxrec where now I have to prove I'm Not A Robot quite often.
lol same f@cking thing that's driven me mad a few times, as im a prolific record browser :lol:
It sucks when looking at a boxer's record is like poking at a mousetrap...I don't want to spring the "trap" so I wait a few seconds, hoping that's enough time between clicks or maybe the quota will go up and allow me a few more lookups....

But no...one more click and suddenly Select All Squares That Contain Traffic Lights (or Buses, or Crosswalks) comes up, yet again.

If I only had to verify I'm a human ONCE it would be nice. Does it think I transformed into a robot in the meantime?
John_newman
Bantamweight

Re: Suggestions for BoxRec

Post by John_newman »

Emaster wrote: 13 Jan 2009, 04:34 The following proposals pertain to the BoxRec database. Suggestions on both BoxRec and the encyclopaedia can be found at the top of this page. Below is a list of wishes written from a user’s standpoint. There might be technical obstacles or other reasons which prevent the proposals from being realized, of course.

Next to the results on title fights lists (e.g. this list), BoxRec's Version 2 offered links to the corresponding fight pages in the encyclopaedia. The book icons did not return after Version 3 had come out. I'd like to have them back.

The schedule page provides various menus. I suggest another one: nationality. It would list the upcoming fights which feature at least one fighter of the selected nationality. Moreover, users should be able to combine choices of different menus, for instance in order to find all scheduled heavyweight fights in the United States. Having the opportunity to select several choices within a menu by checking boxes next to them would be another welcome improvement, which would also benefit the location page, the title search and the division menu of the fighterfinder. For instance, on the schedule page users could create a list showing the upcoming fights from the lightweight division downwards with the WBA or WBC world title at stake held in Japan.

The name search uses one box for the first name and another one for the last name. If users have copied a name from another place and want to search for it in the database, only one box for the whole name would save them further copy and paste actions.

After one year of inactivity boxers are not rated as active fighters any more. There could be a function which allows users themselves to adjust the period of inactivity after which fighters are excluded from the ratings. The same applies to the fighterfinder.

Scheduled bouts are "subject to commission approval / change" according to BoxRec. Maybe rumored bouts could somehow be distinguished from officially announced ones.

A ratings page lists 20 boxers. In the past it showed 25 or even 50. Couldn't the number be raised again? I wouldn't mind seeing 75 or 100 boxers on one page.

The boxers' residences could be replaced by the dates of their next fights and the names of their next opponents. Thus, schedules sorted by BoxRec's ratings would be created.

What’s the purpose of the black question mark which appears when pointing at a flag icon?

It should be marked on title fights lists which version of a title was on the line (interim, full, or super). Furthermore, the number of the defense and the name of the defending champion could be added to each title fight on the BoxRec boxer pages. For instance, instead of "IBF middleweight title" the line could read "IBF middleweight title (Hopkins's 10th defense)". As proposed in this section the information that a fight has not been the only one between the two contestants could already be shown on the BoxRec boxer pages (especially valuable to encyclopaedia editors who move fight pages to new titles).

There should be a definition regarding the additional information to be given on fights in BoxRec. I suggest noting basic information, that is, above all, knockdowns and point deductions. The information should be presented as precisely as possible (rather "Smith down twice in the first and three times in the third round" than "Smith down five times"; rather either "Smith twice deducted one point in round ten" or "Smith deducted two points at once in round ten" than "Smith deducted two points in round ten") and in consistent and graceful style: either "first round"/"round one" (which I propose) or "1st round"/"round 1", either "three times" (which I propose) or "3 times", either "round"/"rounds" (which I propose) or "rd."/"rds.", and either "rounds one and two" (which I propose) or "rounds one & two". To me "Smith down twice in the first round and three times in round two" is aesthetically more pleasing than "Smith down twice in the 1st rd. & 3 times in rd. 2."

The way knockdowns happened should only be added in the encyclopaedia (even the often-seen "body shot" comment, which can be a matter of interpretation.) Adding what caused referees to deduct points may be a borderline case. Why a bout was stopped/ruled a TKO, an NC/ND or a DQ could already be addressed in BoxRec. The same applies to extraordinary situations, e.g. if a title was at stake for one fighter only as the other one had failed to make the weight or if a sanctioning body did not recognize the ruling of the competent commission. Also data on attendances, gates, or agreed-upon catchweights could be mentioned in the database. Everything else should be elaborated on in the encyclopaedia, which would mean that a lot of information would have to be shifted there from BoxRec pages (e.g. from Jack Dempsey's page).

The boxers' records do not only show their opponents' names, but also their opponents' records from before their contests, e.g. 40-20-10. I suggest including stoppage information as well: 40(20)-20(10)-10. NCs should also be included: 40(20)-20(10)-10-5. As opposed to stoppage information, NCs are missing on boxers' profiles: won 40 (KO 20) + lost 20 (KO 10) + drawn 10 = 75. I propose including NCs: won 40 (KO 20) + lost 20 (KO 10) + drawn 10 + NCs 5 = 75. The representation of the records should also change in so far as draws should only appear on an opponent's record or a boxer's profile if the opponent or boxer has fought to at least one draw or No Contest ("15(12)-9(6)" or "won 15 (KO 12) + lost 9 (KO 6)" rather than "15(12)-9(6)-0" or "won 15 (KO 12) + lost 9 (KO 6) + drawn 0", "15(12)-9(6)" or "won 15 (KO 12) + lost 9 (KO 6)" rather than "15(12)-9(6)-0-0" or "won 15 (KO 12) + lost 9 (KO 6) + drawn 0 + NCs 0", but "15(12)-9(6)-0-1" or "won 15 (KO 12) + lost 9 (KO 6) + drawn 0 + NCs 1"). NCs should only show up on an opponent's record or a boxer's profile if that result has at least once occurred. Furthermore, no stoppage information is required in W or L columns which still show 0s ("0-0-1" or "won 0 + lost 0 + drawn 1" rather than "0(0)-0(0)-1" or "won 0 (KO 0) + lost 0 (KO 0) + drawn 1").

The boxers' profiles on the BoxRec boxer pages should also show the combined opponents' records including stoppages and NCs.

BoxRec pages could feature encyclopaedia pages, for instance below the advertisement banner. There could be kind of an encyclopaedia link of the day or week or month to a significant page or category in the encyclopaedia, which would probably introduce it to a broader circle of BoxRec users. New BoxRec features could be presented the same way to make users aware of them.
Pretty interesting stuff
JxhDel.
Featherweight

Post by JxhDel. »

Is it possible to have a rating list by a boxer origin (where they were born), in addition to their current nationality?
Daedalus
Welterweight

Post by Daedalus »

Hi John & team, great job on the site and for monitoring this thread. A few suggestions:
1) On the Forum black banner, change the FAQ to Forum FAQ, because that's all it is. The actual FAQ on the Record Archive features, navigation, etc, are in the Media pages.
2) Include a link to BoxRec Media on both the Main Database and Forum banners just as the Media banner has links to the other two.
3) Can this thread go on its own forum*? It doesn't fit into the Current Scene, which I think would be about how boxing's doing, what boxers & their posse are up to, upcoming matches/tournaments, etc.
4) Can the *new forum be named "About BoxRec"? In it, there can also be discussions on this site's history, relevance, policies, updates, polls, BoxRec games such PTBF that don't have a home like BoxRec Sim, etc. Because the Announcements portion only lists the 5 most recent posts, threads like these are easily buried by talk on fights/fighters that already have their dedicated areas.
5) I know now how to bookmark a topic and subscribe to a forum. Is it possible to save particular posts within a topic?
Thanks for your time!
ozzy616
Lightweight

Voluntary & Mandatory Defences

Post by ozzy616 »

Apologies if this has already been suggested but it would be useful to include whether a (non-vacant) title fight is a voluntary or mandatory defence. Either in the actual fight record or in the associated wiki page.

Really impressed with the development of the site - keep up the great work :bow:
Steady_Eddie
Super Middleweight

Post by Steady_Eddie »

@matt___s wrote: 16 Sep 2020, 01:26
@matt___s wrote: 04 Aug 2020, 16:14
John wrote: 02 Aug 2020, 03:46
Not easily, we don't have a programmatic breakdown of the areas
:cry:
John would it be worth asking the Board for the postcodes or however they delineate the Areas?

I'm guessing Scottish/Welsh/NI Areas explain themselves.
This webpage states how the areas are defined
http://bbbofc.com/content/area-councils
Perseus
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Perseus »

A thread that stays on top for people to post legal links to sites that are broadcasting boxing.
People are always looking for a legal way to watch boxing from other parts of the world but don't know what sites to use.
Not youtube or Facebook links, boxrec users probably don't need any help in those places.
yu265545
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by yu265545 »

Would you please consider removing the "ALIAS" column in the watchlist and replace it with the graphic showing wins/losses in the fighter's last six fights? That is how the watchlist used to be. Now, I need to click on each fighter (I have over 200 I am watching) to see how they have been performing recently. Nicknames are cool but I humbly suggest the record in their last 6 fights is more informative.

Thanks for considering! :bag:
John
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by John »

yu265545 wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 14:39 Would you please consider removing the "ALIAS" column in the watchlist and replace it with the graphic showing wins/losses in the fighter's last six fights? That is how the watchlist used to be. Now, I need to click on each fighter (I have over 200 I am watching) to see how they have been performing recently. Nicknames are cool but I humbly suggest the record in their last 6 fights is more informative.

Thanks for considering! :bag:
In task list
TwoSheds
Bantamweight

Post by TwoSheds »

Hi all,

The 'Bout' page shows Boxrec points after the fight, but it would be much more useful (IMO) to know the points going in, either instead of, or in addition to that figure.

Please consider. Thanks....
Daedalus
Welterweight

Post by Daedalus »

TwoSheds wrote: 03 Dec 2020, 15:06 The 'Bout' page shows Boxrec points after the fight, but it would be much more useful (IMO) to know the points going in, either instead of, or in addition to that figure.
This is a non-starter. Check the Ratings thread to know why.
TwoSheds
Bantamweight

Post by TwoSheds »

Daedalus wrote: 04 Dec 2020, 20:30 This is a non-starter. Check the Ratings thread to know why.
Thanks for replying. I could not locate the thread you referred to, I'm afraid (a board search reveals about a squillion threads containing that word, as you can imagine!), and I couldn't see such a thread stick-ied anywhere.

Wouldn't happen to have a link would you, please?
Daedalus
Welterweight

Post by Daedalus »

TwoSheds wrote: 05 Dec 2020, 19:04
Daedalus wrote: 04 Dec 2020, 20:30 This is a non-starter. Check the Ratings thread to know why.
Thanks for replying. I could not locate the thread you referred to, I'm afraid (a board search reveals about a squillion threads containing that word, as you can imagine!), and I couldn't see such a thread stick-ied anywhere.

Wouldn't happen to have a link would you, please?
Yeah. viewtopic.php?t=28051
I have a feeling the moderators want to keep it hidden :D
Emmaemeonye
Featherweight

Post by Emmaemeonye »

Tope TPROCK looking for 50/50 fights
Manuel Fdez 82
Bantamweight

Re: Suggestions for BoxRec por qué no aparece por ningún lado la pelea de Frank Sanchez?

Post by Manuel Fdez 82 »

Frank sanchez???
JxhDel.
Featherweight

Post by JxhDel. »

https://boxrec.com/en/scoring/2591427

The match was stopped in the 8th instead of the 7th, so the scorable rounds would not be 6 (source: https://www.boxeringweb.net/index.php/n ... prima.html).
felinoboxing
Middleweight

Post by felinoboxing »

Hello, I suggest adding to each boxer's profile all their titles won in the past. Also Olympic medals. In a small box. There where are their names, ages, etc. To see them at a glance. And not be forced to go down and down the profile to see their achievements. Thank you
ZigggZagggg
Super Flyweight

Post by ZigggZagggg »

All the Boxers listed in the WBC Bridgerweight have dissapeared from the ratings.
But Boxrec doesn't rate Bridgerweight, only the established weight classes, what I totally agree to.
But now those Boxers are rated NOWHERE.
That's not OK, i think, especially because some of them have been very active in the last months,

Even if they box against each other in the WBC Bridgerweight, that still would be a heavyweight fight according to the other organisations (WBA,WBO, IBF etc..)
So please leave put those boxers back to their established weight divisions.
John
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by John »

Bridgerweight boxers are rated by the WBC, what is the point of us rating them in the wrong division ?
candyslim
Super Featherweight

Post by candyslim »

Is it only the WBC that counts then? Do the other leech orgs even recognize Bridgerweight?

I thiink he (Zigzag) is right, either they should be rated by BoxRec as Bridgerweights or if you don't want to recognize Bridgerweight which is fair enough, then surety it's logicalthey should continue to be rated at Heavyweight, no?
John
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by John »

What is the point of us rating them in the wrong division ?
oogiebe
Super Welterweight

Post by oogiebe »

So someone like Oscar Rivas is unranked now in all divisions? Doesn't make sense.
candyslim
Super Featherweight

Post by candyslim »

John wrote: 18 Jan 2021, 09:06 What is the point of us rating them in the wrong division ?
How can you call it the wrong division when you don't recognize the "right one"? These guys are Heavyweights. Did they make it known they would like henceforth to be considered as Bridgerweights? Did anybody ask them? I don't know but I imagine the answer is "no" to both questions.

I doubt many have boiled down to make Bridgerweight either. This seems to be the pet project of the WBC furthering their noble aim of generating ever more sanctioning fees. Either recognize the division or continue to rate them as Heavyweights. Removing them from the rankings altogether strikes me as illogical. and the worst option available.

BoxRec has become an institution and the first port of call for boxing information, not just for fans but for anyone who needs/wants to know. I bet there's a lot of boxers who check their rating on BoxRec.
John
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by John »

candyslim wrote: 20 Jan 2021, 02:51
How can you call it the wrong division when you don't recognize the "right one"? These guys are Heavyweights. Did they make it known they would like henceforth to be considered as Bridgerweights? Did anybody ask them? I don't know but I imagine the answer is "no" to both questions.
Then your imagination isn't very good :TU:
candyslim
Super Featherweight

Post by candyslim »

That may well be so but your stance still defies logic in my opinion. They are professional boxers and deserve recognition either as Bridgerweights, or if that division isn't worthy of consideration, then as Heavyweights. They haven't simply vanished from the sport.

That's my two penn'orth anyway, I shall say no more except to ask you how their preferences were made known? Did the WBC ask for volunteers and these fighters responded, and if so, how were you made aware?

Sorry if I'm being annoying.