Suggestions for BoxRec - Archived

oogiebe
Welterweight

Re: Suggestions for BoxRec

Post by oogiebe »

candyslim wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 10:28 I don't know if this is the same for everyone or just a glitch, but if I'm logged-on to the forum and I want to jump to the records database I find I'm not logged-on there, and I if I want full access I need to log-on again.

It's hardly a massive issue but it seems an unnecessary irritation which I could do without.
Click the box for 'remember me.'
candyslim
Featherweight

Post by candyslim »

I don't think it makes any difference. Even using the forum it remembers me for a bit and then it forgets and I have to log-on again. It occurred to me that it might happen when I switch between devices but it doesn't seem to be that either.
oogiebe
Welterweight

Post by oogiebe »

candyslim wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 11:34 I don't think it makes any difference. Even using the forum it remembers me for a bit and then it forgets and I have to log-on again. It occurred to me that it might happen when I switch between devices but it doesn't seem to be that either.
Well, I haven't had issue with it.
candyslim
Featherweight

Post by candyslim »

So you never have to log back in?
oogiebe
Welterweight

Post by oogiebe »

candyslim wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 15:30 So you never have to log back in?
not in months
candyslim
Featherweight

Post by candyslim »

Sounds like the issue is at my end then. I had considered that a possibility. Thanks Oog.
felinoboxing
Welterweight

Boxrec annual rating amateur P4P

Post by felinoboxing »

Greetings ... You can add the list of 10 the year 2020 to: P4P-BoxRec's Annual Ratings Amateur.

Here: https://boxrec.com/media/index.php/BoxR ... 4P_Annuals
computerrank
Editor
Editor

Re: Boxrec annual rating amateur P4P

Post by computerrank »

felinoboxing wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 20:54 Greetings ... You can add the list of 10 the year 2020 to: P4P-BoxRec's Annual Ratings Amateur.

Here: https://boxrec.com/media/index.php/BoxR ... 4P_Annuals
I will have to do that :salut: for pros too ...
stormy#1!
Lightweight

Post by stormy#1! »

how do i find current National r5anking for both Australia and New Zealand??
candyslim
Featherweight

Post by candyslim »

At the bottom right of this page you'll see "jump to".

Choose "record database" and then "ratings". You can then change "world" to "Australia" or "New Zealand" and change the other options as you wish.

You cannot combine them i.e. there is no "Australasia" option.
Controversial
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Controversial »

candyslim wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 10:28 I don't know if this is the same for everyone or just a glitch, but if I'm logged-on to the forum and I want to jump to the records database I find I'm not logged-on there, and I if I want full access I need to log-on again.

It's hardly a massive issue but it seems an unnecessary irritation which I could do without.
This is happening to me too in recent weeks, not sure why?
candyslim
Featherweight

Post by candyslim »

Nice to have company :D
John
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by John »

The forum software is getting on for 20 years old and flaky as F. It is a real pain to keep it maintained, there will come a point when it will have to go. These days most people are using Twitter, Discourse etc etc
candyslim
Featherweight

Post by candyslim »

Does that mean it will be just the records database and no forum? Say it ain't so :cry:
Controversial
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Controversial »

John wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 09:04 The forum software is getting on for 20 years old and flaky as F. It is a real pain to keep it maintained, there will come a point when it will have to go. These days most people are using Twitter, Discourse etc etc
:o

What would be the plan for the forums when it goes John? I know other sites use XenForo to host their forums, they seem pretty good, not that I know a lot about these things. It's handy that you can like/dislike posts and easily upload photos but I guess you would need to rely on advertising to a certain extent.
margaret thatcher
Flyweight

Post by margaret thatcher »

id bet there would be lots of capable ppl willing to help out if it meant the difference between the forum staying and going
oogiebe
Welterweight

Post by oogiebe »

margaret thatcher wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 16:48 id bet there would be lots of capable ppl willing to help out if it meant the difference between the forum staying and going
I'd be one fo sha!
Joe.Kelly
Light Flyweight

Post by Joe.Kelly »

Boxrec should resume posting the fighters' ages and birthdates. I can't understand why Boxrec stopped doing so.

Are the editors afraid of ageism? If so, that would be absurd, because boxers are athletes, and not office workers. Ageism is factor making workplace hiring decisions. But ageism is not a factor that affects peoples' capacity to assess an athlete's situation as a competitor.

Let's face it: if fans want to analyze a boxer's capacity to win a major fight, then they need to know if the fighter is 25 or 45 years old. Biological aging is a massive determinant of an athlete's competitiveness, or lack thereof. Knowing a fighter's age is every bit as important as knowing his win-lose-draw numbers.

Editors: can you please explain what's going on here?
margaret thatcher
Flyweight

Joe.Kelly wrote: 17 May 2021, 14:34 Boxrec should resume posting the fighters' ages and birthdates. I can't understand why Boxrec stopped doing so.

Are the editors afraid of ageism? If so, that would be absurd, because boxers are athletes, and not office workers. Ageism is factor making workplace hiring decisions. But ageism is not a factor that affects peoples' capacity to assess an athlete's situation as a competitor.

Let's face it: if fans want to analyze a boxer's capacity to win a major fight, then they need to know if the fighter is 25 or 45 years old. Biological aging is a massive determinant of an athlete's competitiveness, or lack thereof. Knowing a fighter's age is every bit as important as knowing his win-lose-draw numbers.

its due to some european info protection law
margaret thatcher
Flyweight

Joe.Kelly wrote: 17 May 2021, 14:34 Boxrec should resume posting the fighters' ages and birthdates. I can't understand why Boxrec stopped doing so.

see here

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=245683
computerrank
Editor
Editor

Post by computerrank »

You can find Tyson Fury's age here:
https://boxrec.com/en/proboxer/479205
You would need his exact date of birth to get the exact determinant of an athlete's competitiveness? Ah, you would like to lay his horoscope :TU:
Joe.Kelly
Light Flyweight

Post by Joe.Kelly »

computerrank wrote: 17 May 2021, 16:53 You would need his exact date of birth to get the exact determinant of an athlete's competitiveness? Ah, you would like to lay his horoscope :TU:
I didn't say anything like that. But I am arguing that we should know if a fighter is, for example, 25, 35, or 45. Being any of those different ages says something important about an athlete's physical competitiveness. Just like it's important to know their height, reach, and weight. I don't think any reasonable person would deny would I'm asserting here.

Biological age is almost always a factor in determining how a boxer compares to his peers. There's just no getting around that. It's silly that a comprehensive boxing database would include all relevant info about a fighter except his age.
John
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by John »

?? we still show the age
Joe.Kelly
Light Flyweight

Post by Joe.Kelly »

John wrote: 17 May 2021, 17:48 ?? we still show the age
Only in some cases does Boxrec show the age. In most cases, data concerning age or DOB is missing. That forces fans to do Google searches in order to find the desired info.
computerrank
Editor
Editor

Post by computerrank »

Joe.Kelly wrote: 17 May 2021, 19:24
John wrote: 17 May 2021, 17:48 ?? we still show the age
Only in some cases does Boxrec show the age. In most cases, data concerning age or DOB is missing. That forces fans to do Google searches in order to find the desired info.
Boxrec always shows the age in the boxer profile, if the date of birth is known.