Joe Louis vs. Tommy Farr
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Joe Louis 197 lbs beat Tommy Farr 204 lbs by UD in round 15 of 15
- Date: 1937-08-30
- Location: Yankee Stadium, Bronx, New York, USA
- Judge: Billy 'Kid' McPartland 9-6
- Referee: Arthur Donovan 13-1
- Judge: Charley Lynch 8-5
- World Heavyweight Championship (1st defense by Louis)
- Photo #2, Photo #3, Photo #4, Photo #5, Photo #6
- Photo of famous boxers introduced from the ring.
- Louis was a 5-1 betting favorite.
- Total attendance was 36,903.
- Gross receipts were $265,753.11, and the net was $222,463.80.
- Movie and radio rights were $60,000.
- Louis made $112,987.52, and Farr received $60,000.
- There were no knockdowns in the fight.
- The Associated Press reported: "On the official score cards, referee Donovan gave Louis a 13 to 2 margin in rounds won. Of the two judges, Kid McPartland gave Louis 10 and Farr 5, while Charley Lynch scored eight for Louis, four for Farr and three even." The AP had Louis winning 8-5-2.