Name: Shannon Briggs
Alias: The Cannon
Birth Name: Shannon Demont Briggs
Hometown: Brooklyn, New York, USA
Birthplace: Brooklyn, New York, USA
Pro Boxer: Record
- Amateur Record: 35-3.
- 1991 US National Championships participant in Colorado Springs, USA (+91kg):
- Lost to Bobby Harris 0-5 (quarter-final)
- 1991 US National Golden Gloves participant in Des Moines, USA (+91kg):
- Lost to Cedric Boswell PTS (quarter-final)
- 1991 Pan American Games Silver medalist in Havana, Cuba (91kg):
- Lost to Felix Savon (Cuba) RSC-1 (only 3 participants)
- 1992 USA vs Poland Dual Meet Winner in Bialystok, Poland (+91kg):
- Defeated Piotr Jurczyk (Poland) RSCH 3
- 1992 US National Championships Gold medalist in Colorado Springs, USA at Heavyweight.
- Defeated Javier Alvarez 39:27 (final)
Regional & Minor Titles
- IBU World heavyweight title
- WBC FECARBOX heavyweight title
- WBA-NABA heavyweight title x2
- WBO NABO heavyweight title
- USBA heavyweight title
- WBC Latino heavyweight title
- interim WBC Latino heavyweight title
- 1-2-0 (1 KO’s) in world championship bouts.
- 3-3-0 (2 KO’s) against former or current world champions.
- 3-1-0 (3 KO’s) in fights outside his native United States.
- Has 37 first-round knockouts, more than any other heavyweight champion in history. On at least seven occasions, Briggs has knocked out his opponent in less than 30 seconds.
- Briggs defeated George Foreman by a controversial twelve-round majority decision to win the Lineal World Heavyweight Championship on November 22, 1997.
- Briggs lost the lineal title to WBC Heavyweight Champion Lennox Lewis by a fifth-round TKO on March 28, 1998.
- Knocked out Serguei Lyakhovich in twelve rounds to win the WBO Heavyweight Championship on November 4, 2006. Briggs was behind on all three official scorecards entering the twelfth and final round.
- Lost the WBO title to Sultan Ibragimov by a twelve-round unanimous on June 2, 2007.
- Briggs was scheduled to fight fellow veteran Fres Oquendo for the WBA 'Regular' World heavyweight title on June 3, 2017. The fight was cancelled after reports that Briggs tested positve for “dramatically increased levels of testosterone" were released.
| WBO Heavyweight Champion
2006 Nov 4 – 2007 Jun 2