Marco Antonio Barrera vs. Juan Manuel Marquez
Juan Manuel Marquez 129 lbs beat Marco Antonio Barrera 130 lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Date: 2007-03-17
- Location: Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Jay Nady
- Judge: Patricia Morse Jarman 116-111
- Judge: Doug Tucker 118-109
- Judge: Paul Smith 116-111
- World Boxing Council Super Featherweight Title (5th defending of Barrera)
- Ring Announcer: Michael Buffer
- Aired On: HBO Pay-Per-View (Main Event)
Marco Antonio Barrera and Juan Manuel Marquez faced off in an extremely competitive battle that was not accurately represented by the large margins in scores which favored Marquez. The tactical battle was back and forth throughout the entire contest. Barrera started out fast, while Marquez started controlling the action over rounds three through five. Marquez hurt Barrera with a hard right hand in round seven, but Marquez was dropped shortly afterwards due to a picture-perfect counter right hand. Jay Nady, who hesitated, did not immediately step in to rule on what was seemingly a knockdown. During Nady's hesitation, Barrera struck Marquez on the head while Marquez was on all fours. As a result, the knockdown was not counted, and Barrera was penalized a point. This likely led to a 10-8 round in the seventh, in favor of Marquez. As the fight came to a close, the same competitive back and forth action continued which made fans believe that the fight itself would be extremely close on the official scorecards. Much to most viewers' dismay, the scorecards were incredibly wide for Marquez, and the missed call by Jay Nady did not make a difference in the fight's decision.
- BoxingTimes.com scored the bout 114-113 for Marquez.
- 15Rounds.com scored the bout 115-112 for Marquez.
- Harold Lederman scored the bout 114-113 for Barrera.
- ESPN.com scored the bout 116-111 for Marquez.
- Fight generated 225,000 pay-per-view buys and $10.1 million in television revenue, according to figures released by HBO PPV.