Miguel Angel Cotto vs. Antonio Margarito (1st meeting)
(Redirected from Fight:1281966)Jump to navigation Jump to search
Miguel Cotto 147 lbs lost to Antonio Margarito 147 lbs by TKO at 2:05 in round 11 of 12
- Date: 2008-07-26
- Location: MGM Grand, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Kenny Bayless
- Judge: Glen Hamada 94-96
- Judge: Jerry Roth 94-96
- Judge: Dave Moretti 95-95
- Aired on: HBO Pay Per View, Setanta
- Promoter: Bob Arum (Top Rank)
- WBA World welterweight title (5th defence by Cotto)
- Cotto had taken the early initiative, frequently landing series of punches on Margarito during the early rounds while using his footwork to avoid danger. However, Margarito was relentless in his pursuit of Cotto and eventually began to wear down Cotto's resistance by trapping him against the ropes. Cotto was hurt in the seventh round after a pair of Margarito uppercuts caused his nose to bleed. Margarito continued to chase his opponent down and inflicted further damage towards the end of the tenth round. Margarito then threw a series of punches at the start of the eleventh round, with Cotto against the ropes and bleeding profusely. A combination from Margarito finally forced Cotto to his knee. Cotto got up, but Margarito continued to land punches on Cotto. Cotto's corner threw in the towel after Cotto went down a second time voluntarily.
- HBO produced 'Countdown to Cotto Margarito' which aired the week before the bout.
- Purses: Cotto - $3 million plus a share of the pay-per-view profits.