Genaro Hernandez vs. Floyd Mayweather Jr.
(Redirected from Fight:12847)
Floyd Mayweather Jr 130 lbs beat Genaro Hernandez 130 lbs by RTD at 3:00 in round 8 of 12
- Date: 1998-10-03
- Location: Las Vegas Hilton, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Judge: Terry Smith 79-73
- Referee: Jay Nady
- Judge: Bob Logist 80-72
- Judge: Chuck Giampa 79-73
- World Boxing Council Super Featherweight Title (4th defense by Hernandez)
- Entering the fight, Mayweather was 17-0 with 13 KOs and Hernandez was 38-1-1 with 17 KOs. Hernandez's only loss was to Oscar De La Hoya at lightweight.
- Mayweather dominated the fight and Hernandez's corner stopped the fight after the eighth round.
- Mayweather was the first of the 1996 U.S. Olympians to become a world champion.
- Mayweather landed 221 of 412 punches (54 percent), and Hernandez connected on 103 of 314 (33 percent).
- Hernandez retired after this bout.
- When Hernandez died of cancer at age 45 in June of 2011, Mayweather paid for his funeral. 
- In September of 2013, Dan Rafael of ESPN.com listed Mayweather's win against Hernanadez as the third best performance of his career.