Felix Trinidad vs. Pernell Whitaker
(Redirected from Fight:13113)Jump to navigation Jump to search
Pernell Whitaker 147 lbs lost to Felix Trinidad 147 lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Date: 1999-02-20
- Location: Madison Square Garden, New York, New York, USA
- Judge: Samuel Conde Lopez 111-117
- Judge: Melvina Lathan 109-118
- Referee: Benjy Esteves Jr
- Judge: Beeba Exton 109-118
- Unofficial AP scorecard: 116-111 Trinidad
- International Boxing Federation Welterweight Title (13th defense by Trinidad)
- This was Whitaker's first fight in 16 months. He was given a six-month suspension for testing positive for cocaine following his match with Andrey Pestryaev on October 17, 1997. When he agreed to submit to random drug testing over a six-month period, the suspension was lifted and he signed to face WBA welterweight champion Ike Quartey on April 25, 1998. After he failed one of the random tests, the fight was canceled and he entered a drug and alcohol rehabilitation center.
- Trinidad hadn't fought in 10 months, a layoff due partly to litigation. He filed suit against promoter Don King in June 1998 for fraud and breach of contract. After a federal judge ruled against Trinidad in November, he signed a new contract with King.
- Trinidad's purse was $4.5 million and Whitaker's was $2.5 million.
- Trinidad was a 4½-1 favorite.
- There was a crowd of 13,821 at Madison Square Garden.
- Whitaker was knocked down by a straight right to the chin late in the second round.
- Whitaker suffered a fractured jaw in round six.
- Trinidad landed 278 of 512 punches (58%) and Whitaker connected on 234 of 749 (31%).