Miguel Angel Cotto vs. Joshua Clottey
(Redirected from Fight:1390830)Jump to navigation Jump to search
Miguel Cotto 146 lbs beat Joshua Clottey 147 lbs by SD in round 12 of 12
- Date: 2009-06-13
- Location: Madison Square Garden, New York, New York, USA
- Referee: Arthur Mercante Jr
- Judge: Tom Miller 113-114
- Judge: Don Trella 116-111
- Judge: John McKaie 115-112
- World Boxing Organization Welterweight Title (1st defense by Cotto)
- Miguel Angel Cotto 33-1 (27 KOs) vs. Joshua Clottey 35-2 (20 KOs)
- Cotto entered ranked as the # 2 welterweight and the # 7 pound-for-pound in the world according to The Ring Magazine. Clottey, a near 3-1 underdog, was ranked as the # 4 welterweight by the same publication.
- On April 20th, it was reported that Clottey had been stripped of his IBF Welterweight Title, for failing to fight Isaac Hlatshwayo, his mandatory challenger. Clottey blamed Cotto for failing to file the proper paperwork with the IBF in the allowed time, which could have allowed the fight to be a unification bout. 
- In April, while training for the fight, Cotto announced a split with his long-time trainer and uncle Evangelista Cotto after the two were involved in altercation. Evangelista was eventually replaced by his assistant trainer Joe Santiago.