Jorge Fernandez vs. Charley Scott
Charley Scott 149 lbs lost to Jorge Fernandez 151 lbs by UD in round 10 of 10
- Date: 1962-09-29
- Location: Convention Center, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Harold Krause 44-48
- Judge: John Romero 45-48
- Judge: Pat Diskin 44-48
"Jorge Fernandez, Saturday night won a unanimous 10 round decision over Charley Scott of Philadelphia at the Las Vegas Convention Center and appeared ready for a shot at the welterweight title. Fernandez, from Buenos Aires, Argentina, scored well with overhand rights and combinations throughout the nationally televised match. The South American's right eye was cut in the 1st round and Scott opened it in every round but the 6th. At the end of the bout Fernandez finished with a blood covered face. There were no knockdowns in the fight. The two fighters, battling before a crowd of 2,000 fans, traded punches in most rounds. But Scott was staggered only twice and Fernandez once in the wild-swinging bout." -United Press International
- Unofficial UPI scorecard - 47-43 Fernandez
- This ring was modified to a four-rope ring designed to prevent the tragedy that befell Benny (Kid) Paret.
- Co-Promoters Mel Greb and Jack Doyle announced after the bout that they were offering welterweight champ Emile Griffith $50,000 to defend his title against Fernandez in the Convention Center on December 8th. And Griffith accepted.