Mike Tyson vs. Eddie Richardson
Mike Tyson 219 lbs beat Eddie Richardson 212 lbs by KO at 1:17 in round 1 of 8
- Date: 1985-11-13
- Location: Ramada-Houston Hotel, Houston, Texas, USA
- Referee: Barry Yeats
- Ring Announcer: Gordon Wood
- Mike Tyson 11-0 (11 KOs) vs. Eddie Richardson
- Richardson, the Southern Boxing Champion at the time, held an announced record of 12-2 (8 KOs).
- It was Tyson's first fight without Cus D'Amato, who had passed away nine days earlier from pneumonia.
- It was the sixth consecutive first-round knockout for Tyson.
Tyson's first punch, a right cross, sent Richardson down just eight seconds into the fight. He got to his feet at the count of seven. Following the knockdown, Tyson pursued Richardson around the ring throwing power shots to head. Richardson circled, occasionally threw a jab, but mostly evaded. A left hand locked Richardson's knees at 1:05 and sent him down for the second time, flat on his back. He remained down and made little effort to get to his feet. After Richardson had been counted out, both Tyson and the referee helped him to his feet.
- Eddie Richardson, after being knocked out by Tyson, was asked if he’s ever been hit as hard as Mike hit him: He replied, “Yeah, about a year ago. I was hit by a truck.”