Daniel Geale vs. Darren Barker
(Redirected from Fight:1802626)
Daniel Geale 159 lbs lost to Darren Barker 159 lbs by SD in round 12 of 12
- Date: 2013-08-17
- Location: Revel Resort, Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA
- Referee: Eddie Cotton
- Judge: Barbara Perez 111-116
- Judge: Alan Rubenstein 114-113
- Judge: Carlos Ortiz Jr 113-114
- Aired On: HBO Boxing After Dark, Sky Sports (Main Event)
- International Boxing Federation Middleweight Title (5th defense by Geale)
- Daniel Geale 29-1 (15 KOs) vs. Darren Barker 25-1 (16 KOs)
- Geale entered as the # 2 middleweight contender in the world according to The Ring Magazine to champion Sergio Martinez. Barker, a 1.75-to-1 betting underdog, was ranked as the # 9 middleweight contender by the same publication. 
- It was the United Stated debut for Geale, who was making just his third appearance outside of Australia. It was the second fight for Barker in the US, with his previous appearance being an 11th-round knockout loss to champion Sergio Martinez.
- Action was paused late in the fourth round to allow Barker time to recover from a low blow.
- A left hand to the liver sent Barker down to all fours for a nine count midway through the sixth round.
- A cut opened on the outside of Barker's left eye in Round 10. The eye area was bruised by bout's end, but the cut was not a factor.
- ESPN's Dan Rafael scored the bout 114-113 in favor of Barker.
- "Not many people know the journey I have been thorough. It's been rocky. This one is for Gary (Darren's deceased brother). I take my hat off to Daniel Geale. He caught me with a great shot to the solar plexus. I knew I was up against it. I just tried to work my hardest and thank God it paid off. I want to go home and see my daughter. But before I do that, there may be a few beers first."