Jump to navigation Jump to search
Gennady Golovkin 159 lbs beat Adama Osumanu 159 lbs by TKO at 1:20 in round 7 of 12
- Date: 2014-02-01
- Location: Salle des Étoiles, Monte Carlo, Monaco
- Judge: Stanley Christodoulou 60-52
- Judge: Philippe Verbeke 59-53
- Referee: Luis Pabon
- Judge: Leszek Jankowiak 59-53
- WBA bout supervisor: Mike McAleenan. IBO bout supervisor: Ed Levine.
- When referee Luis Pabon moved in to stop the bout and save the wobbled and badly hurt Adama from GGG, there was no protest from Adama.
- The bout was broadcast in Europe and Australia from Monaco on various pay-per-view outlets, and in the Middle East on Al-Jazeera Sports.
- Adama down in rounds 1, 6 and 7 and staggered in the seventh. Referee Luis Pabon the stopped the contest with Adama out on his feet.
- 16th consecutive knockout win for Golovkin, who was a prohibitive 85:1 betting favorite in Monte Carlo. An elite crowd of 900 saw the bout.
- Adama had a good plan to fight a technical fight moving left along the ropes and keeping out of Golovkin's range. In the fifth round, Adama foolishly took the fight to GGG in center ring. Considering Golovkin's power had dropped him early under the best of circumstances, Adama had no chance in a slug out with Golovkin, who quickly found distance range and began pummeling Adama. Adama did do well for part of the fifth round, but a long range toe-to-toe fight with Golovkin in center ring could not work. Adama's corner with trainer Joseph Awinongya made a poor choice in changing the game plan, as his fighter Adama was doing fairly well moving to the left along the ropes jabbing and giving a good accounting of himself-though Adama was behind on points when he changed his plan of attack, with disastrous result.
- Osumanu Adama's weaker corner consisted of Joseph trainer Joseph Awinongya, cutman Sam Colonna, manager Wasfi Tolaymat and French welterweight champion Ahmed El Mousaoui, after Adama's compatriots from Ghana, the former world champions Azumah Nelson and Ike Quartey, his friends, were either unable or unwilling to travel to Monte Carlo to work in Adama's corner after being asked to do so.