Saul Alvarez vs. Alfredo Angulo
(Redirected from Fight:1859797)Jump to navigation Jump to search
Saul Alvarez 155 lbs beat Alfredo Angulo 155 lbs by TKO at 0:47 in round 10 of 12
- Date: 2014-03-08
- Location: MGM Grand, Grand Garden Arena, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Judge: Jerry Roth 88-83
- Judge: Dave Moretti 89-82
- Referee: Tony Weeks
- Judge: Craig Metcalfe 89-82
- Ring Announcer: Jimmy Lennon Jr.
- Aired On: Showtime PPV (Main Event)
- Pre-fight Weigh In: Alvarez 170 lbs., Angulo 174 lbs.
- Saul Alvarez 42-1-1 (30 KOs) vs. Alfredo Angulo 22-3 (18 KOs)
- Alvarez entered as the # 1 junior middleweight contender and the # 9 pound-for-pound fighter in the world according to The Ring Magazine. Angulo was unranked by the same publication. 
- Angulo entered as a 4.5-to-1 betting underdog. 
- The bout was originally set to take place at 154 pounds, but was upped to 155 pounds at the request of the Alvarez camp just prior to the weigh-in. Alvarez, who earned a minimum $1.25 million, agreed to pay Angulo an additional $100,000, raising his purse to $850,000. Alvarez further agreed to a weight check at 3 p.m. ET on the day of the fight at which he could not weigh more than 168 pounds. 
- It was the first fight for Alvarez following a points loss to Floyd Mayweather Jr. (44-0); the first loss of his professional career. Angulo was 9 months removed from a 10th-round TKO loss to Erislandy Lara (17-1-2).
- The retail price for the standard definition broadcast was $49.95 USD, while a high-definition signal was $59.95.