Shawn Porter vs.Paul Malignaggi
(Redirected from Fight:1873612)Jump to navigation Jump to search
Shawn Porter beat Paul Malignaggi by TKO at 1:14 in round 4 of 12
- Date: 2014-04-19
- Location: DC Armory, Washington, District of Columbia, USA
- Judge: John Stewart
- Judge: Clark Sammartino
- Referee: Sam Williams
- Judge: Adalaide Byrd
- Ring Announcer: Jimmy Lennon Jr.
- Aired On: Showtime Championship Boxing
- International Boxing Federation Welterweight Title (1st defense by Porter
- Shawn Porter 23-0 (14 KOs) vs. Paulie Malignaggi 33-5 (7 KOs)
- Fight was on the undercard of Bernard Hopkins vs. Beibut Shumenov.
- Malignaggi entered as a 2-to-1 betting underdog. 
- Porter entered as the # 6 welterweight contender in the world according The Ring Magazine. Malignaggi was ranked as the # 8 contender by the same publication. Floyd Mayweather Jr. held the magazine's welterweight title at the time of the fight. 
- A double jab, which proved to be Porter's best weapon of the night, opened a cut under the left eye of Malignaggi in round one.
- A right hand behind the ear, preceded by two jabs, sent Malignaggi down for a three count early in round four. Porter hurt Malignaggi with a lunging left hook moments later and a barrage, which included a couple of clean right hands, sent Malignaggi down and under the bottom rope. The referee waved an end to the bout without beginning a count.