Emile Griffith vs. Denny Moyer (3rd meeting)
Emile Griffith 156 lbs beat Denny Moyer 159 lbs by SD in round 10 of 10
- Date: 1962-08-18
- Location: Sports Arena, Tacoma, Washington, USA
- Referee: Jimmy Rondeau 99-95
- Judge: Sam Heller 99-96
- Judge: Jack Elich 96-97
This bout was held during the 1962 WBA Convention in Tacoma.
"Welterweight champion Emile Griffith, weighing the heaviest of his career, won a split 10 round decision over middleweight contender Denny Moyer Saturday in their nationally televised non-title rubber match at the Tacoma Sports Arena. Moyer put up an excellent fight and did most of the forcing but his punches generally lacked the explosiveness and speed of Griffith's. Baby-faced Moyer, whose nose bleeds in every fight, was tapped for claret in the opening round and his face was smeared with blood in many of the rounds thereafter. Denny suffered a slight cut at the corner of his left brow in the 6th round. Griffith was cut on the right brow in the slam-bang 10th." -United Press International
- Unofficial UPI scorecard - 97-94 Griffith
- Unofficial AP scorecard - 99-92 Griffith
- After this bout Madison Square Garden Matchmaker Teddy Brenner attempted to arrange a middleweight title bout between 160 lb. champion Paul Pender and 147 lb. champ Griffith in the Garden for November 3, 1962. However, Pender, who had not fought since regaining his title in April of 1962, announced his retirement on May 7, 1963.