Emile Griffith vs. Rubin Carter
(Redirected from Fight:18871)
Emile Griffith 151 lbs lost to Rubin Carter 155 lbs by TKO at 2:13 in round 1 of 10
- Date: 1963-12-20
- Location: Civic Arena, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
- Referee: Buck McTiernan
- Griffith, the World Welterweight Champion, met Carter in a ten-round non-title bout.
- Carter signed a contract to come in at 157 pounds, give or take a pound.
- "No welterweight has any business in the ring with me," Carter said before the fight.
- Griffith was a slight betting favorite.
- This was the first time Griffith was stopped.
- The Associated Press reported:
- Carter, the No. 2 ranked middleweight contender, floored Griffith with a vicious left hook shortly after the two fighters had broken from a clinch. Griffith beat the count but was obviously hurt and put both hands to his head before referee Buck McTiernan waved Carter in again. Carter moved in swiftly and raked the champion with a series of lefts and rights to the head, sending him to the canvas for the second time. Griffith managed once again to get to his feet, but McTiernan ruled he was unable to continue and awarded the fight to Carter at 2:13 of the first round.