Gennady Golovkin vs. Daniel Geale
(Redirected from Fight:1892681)Jump to navigation Jump to search
Gennady Golovkin 160 lbs beat Daniel Geale 159 lbs by TKO at 2:47 in round 3 of 12
- Date: 2014-07-26
- Location: Madison Square Garden, New York, New York, USA
- Judge: Julie Lederman 20-17
- Referee: Mike Ortega
- Judge: Don Trella 20-17
- Judge: John McKaie 20-17
- Fought for Golovkin's WBA World Middleweight title. Geale's second unsuccessful world title challenge in the United States.
- The first round went over four minutes, the first such WBA world championship clock discrepancy since Greg Page knocked out Gerrie Coetzee at 3:48 of the eighth round to win the WBA World Heavyweight championship on December 1, 1984, in Sun City, Africa. . In that bout, the WBA ruled the championship rules were in force, and the outcome was valid.
- Geale fell to the canvas in a corner when one of his legs got caught in a cameraman's strap, a first. Geale got right back up and appeared unbothered by the incident.
- Geale warned for hitting Golovkin behind the head in the first round by referee Mike Ortega.
- Golovkin knocked down Geale with a right hand to the back of the head in the second round. Geale went to the canvas and after getting up claimed it was an illegal punch.
- In the third, Geale, his back to the ropes, landed a power right to Golovkin's head, and Golovkin countered by instinct with his eyes closed in a split second response, with a power right hand to Geale's face, and then a left to the head, sending Geale to the canvas. Geale beat the count, but was wobbly, and the referee waved the fight off when Geale nodded no, ending the brief contest. It appeared Geale felt by landing the most powerful punch in his arsenal full force at point blank range Golovkin would go. Instead Golovkin took the full force blow to the head and never moved, and immediately took out Geale by counter in a split second with his guard down, which Geale later acknowledged in the post fight press conference.