Jump to navigation Jump to search
Sergey Kovalev 174 lbs beat Blake Caparello 174 lbs by TKO at 1:47 in round 2 of 12
- Date: 2014-08-02
- Location: Revel Resort, Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA
- Judge: Julie Lederman
- Judge: Glenn Feldman
- Judge: John Poturaj
- Referee: Sparkle Lee
- The Russian Sergey Kovalev's WBO World Light Heavyweight title defense televised on HBO. Ringside commentary by Roy Jones Jr., who noted Kovalev's next opponent (IBF and WBA World Light Heavyweight champion Bernard Hopkins in November 2014 who was also present at ringside) was looking for weaknesses in Kovalev's fighting style he could later exploit. Hopkins didn't get to see much.
- The Australian Blake Caparello 'got lucky' with a 10-8 round in the first round, moving forward landing an overhand right while stepping on Kovalev's foot (missed by the referee, but clearly evident in the video replay after the bout), sending Kovalev backwards off balance and forcing one of his gloves to touch the canvas, scored as an official knockdown. In the post fight interview, Kovalev stated he was unaware of his foot being stepped on, but was aware that he was off balance after what he termed 'an easy punch' thrown by Caparello (easy as in that he was not hurt, was completely unaffected, and was never off his feet).
- Kovalev opened up on the unbeaten southpaw Caparello in round two, dropping Caparello with a liver shot, then dropping him twice more with power shots, finishing him in a corner, forcing referee Sparkle Lee to end the contest as Caparello was not getting up.
- Kovalev's knockout percentage at 89% is second only to WBA Middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin among active fighters.