Jump to navigation Jump to search
Cedric Agnew 177 lbs lost to Samuel Clarkson 178 lbs by SD in round 8 of 8
- Date: 2015-02-20
- Location: Hilton Westchester, Rye Brook, New York, USA
- Referee: Danny Schiavone
- Judge: Allen Nace 75-76
- Judge: Tony Lundy 75-76
- Judge: John Basile 76-75
- Televised on Broadway Boxing and Gofightlive.tv over the internet.
- Fought at cruiserweight as the Cedric Agnew camp requested and got a contractual catch weight of 178 pounds plus or minus two pounds, Agnew unable to make the 175 pound light heavyweight limit for this bout.
- Clarkson down in the second round from a bodyshot.
- In a major upset, in a battle of southpaws, light heavyweight Samuel Clarkson Jr. won an eight round split decision over world ranked light heavyweight Cedric Agnew, a DiBella Entertainment fighter. Agnew used his come forward style to win the first two rounds by outworking Clarkson with sharp body combinations, with Clarkson standing in front of him defensively. Clarkson made adjustments after getting knocked down in round two, and appeared to win the next six rounds, rounds three through eight, by using his slight height and reach advantage to land straight jabs on Agnew while moving side to side. Agnew, whose style is one dimensional, continued to move straight forward slowly, but without a target, Agnew had only rare opportunities or none to even throw. Despite the scorecards, not a close bout. Agnew appeared well-trained and in condition, but unable to change his fighting style, and was unwilling to chase his faster hands or faster footed opponent. In addition, Clarkson appeared hungry and was willing to take chances, taking the fight to Agnew, landing power combinations while risking getting hit by Agnew's counters. Scoring by the judges in Westchester on the DiBella Entertainment card appeared neutral and fair, with neither fighter seen in New York before this bout. Clarkson stated after the bout he would continue his career at 168 to 175 pounds, but never higher again.