Gennady Golovkin vs. Willie Monroe Jr
(Redirected from Fight:1963672)Jump to navigation Jump to search
Gennady Golovkin 159 lbs beat Willie Monroe Jr 160 lbs by TKO at 0:45 in round 6 of 12
- Date: 2015-05-16
- Location: Forum, Inglewood, California, USA
- Judge: Pat Russell 49-44
- Judge: Steve Weisfeld 50-43
- Referee: Jack Reiss
- Judge: Adalaide Byrd 50-43
Gennady Golovkin versus Willie Monroe Jr. World Middleweight Title Bout on HBO
- In the main event of a boxing card televised on Home Box Office, Gennady Golovkin defended the World Middleweight title with a sixth round stoppage of southpaw Willie Monroe Jr. In the first minute of the first round, Monroe started fast with superior movement and jabs, but after that the pace slowed with GGG cutting off the ring and outworking him. In round two, Monroe stopped moving and got caught on the ropes twice offering GGG a target, who knocked Monroe down twice. Monroe changed his game plan in rounds three, four and five, and did better by jabbing and trading with him on the inside at close range in center ring, not allowing GGG to get outside range distance to land his power shots or catch him on the ropes. In round six, GGG came forward and quickly caught an off guard Monroe with power shots along the ropes, and Monroe went down to his knees, just beating the ten count of referee Jack Reiss. Referee Reiss was willing to give Monroe another chance, but Monroe did not respond. Reiss immediately stopped the contest. Champion Sergey Kovalev was at ringside.
- The scores at the time of the stoppage were 50-43, 50-43, and 49-44 for Golovkin, with Pat Russell giving Monroe the third.
- CompuBox Statistics: Golovkin landed 133 of 297 punches thrown (45%), Monroe landed 87 punches of 305 thrown (29%)
- CompuBox Statistics: Golovkin landed 116 of 238 power punches thrown (49%), Monroe landed 56 of 139 power punches thrown (33%)
- CompuBox Statistics: Golovkin landed 17 of 59 jabs thrown, Monroe landed 31 of 136 jabs thrown (23%) missing over 100 Jabs thrown
- Willie Monroe Jr. rehydrated to 174 pounds, Gennady Golovkin to 172 pounds, the day of the fight.
- Willie Monroe Jr. is the first of the three middleweight fighting Monroes to fight for the world title. His father 24-4-2 super middleweight Willie Lee Monroe and great uncle 39-10-1 middleweight Willie (the Worm) Monroe who beat Marvin Hagler never got a title shot.
- The World Boxing Council interim World Middleweight title at stake for GGG only.