Joe Louis vs. Max Schmeling (1st meeting)
(Redirected from Fight:19807)Jump to navigation Jump to search
Joe Louis 198 lbs lost to Max Schmeling 192 lbs by KO at 2:29 in round 12 of 15
- Date: 1936-06-19
- Location: Yankee Stadium, Bronx, New York, USA
- Referee: Arthur Donovan
- Photo of the weigh-in.
- Photo of the final knockdown.
- Photo of World Heavyweight Champion Jim Braddock congratulating Schmeling after the bout.
- See also: Joe Louis vs. Max Schmeling (2nd meeting)
- Louis was 24-0 with 20 knockouts. The previous year, he easily knocked out two former World Heavyweight Champions, Primo Carnera and Max Baer.
- Schmeling, a former World Heavyweight Champion, was 48-7-4 with 34 knockouts.
- The fight was promoted by Mike Jacobs.
- The bout was delayed a day because of rain.
- The odds were 10-to-1 that Louis would win, 4-to-1 that Louis would score a kayo, and 2-to-1 that Schmeling wouldn't make it to the seventh round.
- There was an estimated crowd of 60,000. Paid attendance was only 39,875. The discrepancy in the figures was caused by the fact that thousands were admitted at the last minute—merely by planking down two or three dollars at the gate and seeking the best seats they could find.
- The gross gate was $547,531, and the net was $464,945.
- Louis's share of the gate was $139,483.50, and Schmeling was guaranteed $150,000, tax-free.
- Veteran manager and promoterTom O'Rourke died of a heart attack in Schmeling's dressing room shortly before the start of the bout.
- Louis was knocked down in rounds four and twelve.