Mike Tyson vs. Reggie Gross
Mike Tyson 217 lbs beat Reggie Gross 218 lbs by TKO at 2:36 in round 1 of 10
- Date: 1986-06-13
- Location: Madison Square Garden, New York, New York, USA
- Referee: Johnny LoBianco
Unbeaten heavyweight Mike Tyson knocked down Reggie Gross twice and stopped him the first round of a scheduled 10-round fight at Madison Square Garden. Tyson and Gross were in the center of the ring and Gross threw a barrage of power shots, a couple of which landed to Tyson's head. Then, as Gross paused, Tyson connected with a single left hook that put Gross down. Gross struggled up at seven and was quickly put down again by two left hooks. Gross made it to his feet at the count of eight, but referee Johnny LoBianco stopped the fight at 2:36. Gross was unhappy with the stoppage and shoved the referee away from him.
- Mike Tyson 21-0 (19 KOs) vs. Reggie Gross 18-4 (12 KOs)
- Tyson entered ranked as the # 4 heavyweight contender by the WBC.
- It was the first fight for Tyson with Don King as his promoter. King was the promoter for Mitch Green in Tyson's previous match.
- In Tyson's two previous fights he had gone the distance to beat James Tillis (31-8) and Mitch Green (16-1-1).
- Gross, who was 14 pounds heavier than in his previous bout just three months earlier, was coming off a unanimous decision loss to Henry Tillman (8-0).
- Ticket prices ranged from $25-$100.