Jump to navigation Jump to search
Daniel Jacobs 159 lbs beat Peter Quillin 159 lbs by TKO at 1:25 in round 1 of 12
- Date: 2015-12-05
- Location: Barclays Center, Brooklyn, New York, USA
- Referee: Harvey Dock
- Judge: Larry Hazzard Jr
- Judge: Don Trella
- Judge: Tom Schreck
- Brooklyn native Daniel Jacobs retained his World Boxing Association World Middleweight title on USA Showtime in the televised main event, as Peter Quillin's 33-0-1 professional record went up in smoke.
- An underdog against former WBO world middleweight champion Quillin, Jacobs entered the bout as a unexpected power hitter, and Quillin had no 'Plan B'. After some brief feeling out punch exchanges, Jacobs landed a series of lightning fast power shots to the head of Quillin, who was reeling on the ropes. Jacobs was right on him, raining the power shots to the head of Quillin, who staggered off the ropes and across the ring, rubbery legged. His eyes glassy, Quillin appeared out of it, and did not know where he was, prompting the immediate stoppage by championship referee Harvey Dock. Some at press felt the bout should have been allowed to play itself out to conclusion, and the stoppage premature. The quick end to the bout left the Barclays crowd stunned. However, Quillin was not answering the power shots thrown by Jacobs, and could have gotten seriously hurt after he staggered across the ring, out on his feet. Others at press felt the selection of Harvey Dock by NYSAC Executive Director David Berlin was an excellent choice, who protected Quillin from further harm at precisely the right moment. Good sportsmanship by Jacobs at bout's end, who stated he loved Quillin as a long time friend and respected him. Quillin spoke after the bout and fortunately appeared unhurt. The 'Battle of Brooklyn' between the two fighters, overhyped but brief, was over. An untelevised eight round walkout bout featuring female boxer Heather Hardy went the full eight round distance after this bout.
- Boxers in attendance included WBC Heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder, Adrien Broner, Danny Garcia, Shawn Porter, Errol Spence, Anthony Dirrell, and Monte Barrett (planning a heavyweight comeback in 2016).
- The Barclays Center crowd in attendance loudly booed the presence of outspoken welterweight boxer Adrien Broner, seen wearing his sunglasses with a beard.