Evander Holyfield vs. Dwight Muhammad Qawi (1st meeting)
(Redirected from Fight:2032)Jump to navigation Jump to search
Dwight Muhammad Qawi 190 lbs lost to Evander Holyfield 186 lbs by SD in round 15 of 15
- Date: 1986-07-12
- Location: The Omni, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
- Judge: Harold Lederman 140-144
- Judge: Gordon Volkman 143-141
- Referee: Vincent Rainone
- Judge: Neffie Quintana 138-147
- World Boxing Association Cruiserweight Title (2nd defense by Qawi)
- Promoter: Jim Abernathy Sports
- Aired On: ABC Wide World of Sports (Main Event)
- See also: Evander Holyfield vs. Dwight Muhammad Qawi (2nd meeting)
- Dwight Muhammad Qawi 26-2-1 (15 KOs) vs. Evander Holyfield 11-0 (8 KOs)
- A thrilling and close competititive fight, with the judges deciding what the fighters could not.
- Holyfield appeared to outwork Qawi and land enough punches to win Qawi's title, but the bout remained exciting till the final bell. One of the last great fifteen round title bouts.
- Qawi suffered a puff under the left eye from round four through out the fight.
- A computer count of the punches had Holyfield throwing 1,290 (629 of them registering effectively). Qawi's punch count was 1,018 thrown with 562 landing effectively.
- Holyfield became the first of the United States boxing medalists from the 1984 Olympics to capture a world title.
- Holyfield reportedly earned $100,000.
- The Ring Magazine named Holyfield vs. Qawi I the best cruiserweight fight of the 1980s.
- The Ring Magazine ranked the fight as the 46th greatest title fight of all-time in 1996.