Jump to navigation Jump to search
Errol Spence Jr 147 lbs beat Chris Algieri 146 lbs by TKO at 0:48 in round 5 of 10
- Date: 2016-04-16
- Location: Barclays Center, Brooklyn, New York, USA
- Judge: Pasquale Procopio 40-35
- Referee: Benjy Esteves Jr
- Judge: Frank Lombardi 39-36
- Judge: Steve Weisfeld 40-35
Time of stoppage: 0:48 of round five
- Algieri down in round four and twice in round five. The first time was on his back. The second time Spence finished him on the ropes.
- Spence down near the end of round four from a push or similar, ruled no knockdown. Algieri celebrated briefly. The round then ended.
- Spence dominated the bout with jabs in center ring and won every round. Algieri moved well and tried to both land jabs and counter.
- Algieri's game plan flaw was settling on the ropes at various times, giving Spence a free target, where Spence ultimately finished him.
- Perhaps Algieri could have gotten up and continued, as he did numerous times against Manny Pacquiao. He was nine points down though.