Joseph Parker vs Andy Ruiz Jr
(Redirected from Fight:2115514)Jump to navigation Jump to search
Joseph Parker beat Andy Ruiz Jr by MD in round 12 of 12
- Date: 2016-12-10
- Location: Spark Arena, Auckland, New Zealand
- Referee: Tony Weeks
- Judge: Ramon Cerdan 115-113
- Judge: Ingo Barrabas 115-113
- Judge: Salven Lagumbay 114-114
- This is the second time in history that a world title bout from one of the four major sanctioning bodies was held in New Zealand. However this is the first time that a Male World title was contested in New Zealand and First title a Heavyweight World Title was contested in New Zealand. The first world title was in April, 2016 which was Kali Reis vs Maricela Cornejo for the vacant WBC World female middleweight title.
- This is the first boxing event held at New Zealand's Spark Arena, at the time was called Vector Arena. Spark Arena is New Zealand's biggest Arena and second biggest indoor venue, with the capacity ranging from 9000 - 13000. New Zealand's biggest indoor venue is Dunedin's Forsyth Barr Stadium with the capacity ranging from 15000 - 31000. The event had approximately 9240 people in attendance.
- Andy Ruiz Jr.'s trainerAbel Sanchez disagreed with the verdict, feeling Ruiz won the majority of the rounds but could not overcome Parker's hometown scorecards. All the officials in the main event were neutral from Argentina (Ramon Cerdan), Germany (Ingo Barrabas), Philippines (Salven Lagumbay) and American referee (Tony Weeks) and supervisor (Richard De Cuir). Ruiz needed to win two more rounds (on the cards favoring Parker) to win the bout. One judge had the bout a draw.
- Parker was ranked 1st in WBO and 6th on Boxrec. Ruiz was Ranked 3rd in WBO.