Saul Alvarez vs. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
(Redirected from Fight:2133145)Jump to navigation Jump to search
Saul Alvarez 164 lbs beat Julio Cesar Chavez Jr 164 lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Date: 2017-05-06
- Location: T-Mobile Arena, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Kenny Bayless
- Judge: Glenn Feldman 120-108
- Judge: Dave Moretti 120-108
- Judge: Adalaide Byrd 120-108
- Promoter: Oscar De La Hoya (Golden Boy Promotions)
- Catchweight of 164.5 pounds for this bout. Both fighters made weight at 164 pounds.
- The Real Mexican Holiday: Canelo vs. Chavez Is for More Than Title Gold, BleacherReport.com 
- In a super middleweight nontitle bout, Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez pitched a 12 round shutout of Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. Chavez appeared bigger, taller, and had reach advantage, forcing Canelo to get inside to outwork him. Canelo did so, but remained cautiously throughout, doing enough to win each round but not taking unnecessary chances. The bout went around the ring in careful circles clockwise, as the fighters carefully chose their punches and tried to gain positional advantage. Canelo threw a few haymakers which missed, and tried to bait Chavez in while playing possum on the ropes several times, but Chavez did not fall for it. Canelo, cognizant of Chavez knocking down Sergio Gabriel Martinez late in the twelfth round when they fought for the world middleweight title, was careful not to let the hard hitting Chavez have any similar opportunity. Still, Chavez went the 12 round distance with Canelo at 164 pounds and was never in trouble at any time. The only injury of minor note was a small nosebleed incurred by Chavez, which did not impact on the outcome of the bout.
- Gennady Golovkin was in attendance at ringside. After the bout, Julio Cesar Chavez entered the ring and greeted Canelo and his corner people and entourage.
- Complete HBO post fight press interview highlights, Chavez, Canelo versus GGG face off in the ring (YouTube, 11 minutes clip): 
- Main Event Purses: Alvarez $5,000,000, Chavez $3,000,000.