Vasyl Lomachenko vs. Guillermo Rigondeaux
(Redirected from Fight:2184654)Jump to navigation Jump to search
Vasiliy Lomachenko 129 lbs beat Guillermo Rigondeaux 129 lbs by RTD at 3:00 in round 6 of 12
- Date: 2017-12-09
- Location: Madison Square Garden Theater, New York, New York, USA
- Judge: Glenn Feldman 59-54
- Judge: Steve Weisfeld 60-53
- Judge: Kevin Morgan 59-54
- Referee: Steve Willis
- WBO World Super Featherweight Title (4th defence by Lomachenko)
- Promoter: Bob Arum (Top Rank)
- Ring Announcer: Michael Buffer
- Aired On: ESPN, BoxNation (Main Event)
- Vasyl Lomachenko - The Ring Magazine #1, BoxRec #1 (super featherweight)
- Guillermo Rigondeaux - The Ring Magazine #1, BoxRec #2 (super bantamweight)
- Guillermo Rigondeaux moves up two weight divisions to fight Vasyl Lomachenko.
- Roy Jones Jr. described this fight as "the best paper fight ever made".
- First ever fight matched up between two boxers who are both two-time Olympic Gold medal winners.
- Rigondeaux lost a point for holding in round six, and retired in the corner at the end of the round with a damaged right hand.
- This is the fourth time running that a Lomachenko opponent has either had the corner throw in the towel or the opponent quit in his own.
- Official Scorecards
- "I guess I should change my name now to NoMaschenko (meaning 'no more' in English - reportedly what Roberto Duran said to referee Octavio Meyran before quitting against Sugar Ray Leonard)" - Vasyl Lomachenko.
- "I lost, no excuses, I injured the top of my left hand in the second round. He’s a very technical fighter. He’s explosive. I’m gonna come back because that’s what I do. The weight was not a factor in this fight. It was the injury to my hand." - Guillermo Rigondeaux.
- Despite the history involved in the fight, Lomachenko said he didn't consider it that big of a victory, even if many others will.
"This is not his weight, so it's not a big win for me," Lomachenko said. "But he's a good fighter. He's got great skills. I adjusted to his style, low blows and all."
- "He'll take anybody. He'll go to 135 pounds, and he'll make a joke of Jorge Linares. He'll make a joke of Mikey Garcia. They're really good fighters, but this guy is super special. You've never seen anything like this. Maybe he'll go to 140, I don't know. He's going to do this to everybody." - Bob Arum.