Sergey Kovalev vs. Vyacheslav Shabranskyy
(Redirected from Fight:2190352)Jump to navigation Jump to search
Sergey Kovalev 174 lbs beat Vyacheslav Shabranskyy 175 lbs by TKO at 2:36 in round 2 of 12
- Date: 2017-11-25
- Location: Madison Square Garden Theater, New York, New York, USA
- Referee: Harvey Dock
- Judge: Julie Lederman
- Judge: Joseph Pasquale
- Judge: Kevin Morgan
- Promoters: Kathy Duva (Main Events), Sergey Kovalev (Krusher Promotions) & Oscar De La Hoya (Golden Boy Promotions)
- Ring Announcer: Michael Buffer
- Aired On: HBO (Main Event), Sky Sports (UK)
- WBO Light Heavyweight Title (Vacant title)
- IBA Light Heavyweight Title (Vacant title)
- EBP Light Heavyweight Title (Vacant title)
- Kathy Duva, promoter of Sergey Kovalev formally requested that the WBO promote this fight as a vacant world title fight. The WBO accepted this request at their annual convention.
- IBA title had become vacant when Bernard Hopkins defeated Beibut Shumenov on April 19, 2014 (see Bernard Hopkins vs. Beibut Shumenov). Given that Hopkins had declined to pay the sanctioning fee, the title was declared vacant.
- Shabranskyy down twice in round one and one in round two. He was battered by Kovalev until the fight was stopped by the referee.
- Following the victory, Kovalev, who twice lost to Andre Ward in his previous ring outings, stated that he now wants to unify the division once again.
- "It's my goal to be the best, I am ready to fight for all the titles and unify the division. I love boxing and I am here to make great fights." - Kovalev.
- "I am happy that the belts have different owners, it makes boxing interesting, we can make good fights for boxing fans. I want to find out who is the best in the light-heavyweight division." - Kovalev.
- "I'm ready for any champion, Dmitry Bivol, Artur Beterbiev, anyone, let's do it, I'm ready." - Kovalev.
Hopins vs. Shumenov
| IBA Light Heavyweight Title Fight
Alvarez vs. Kovalev I