Gennady Golovkin vs. Vanes Martirosyan
Gennady Golovkin 160 lbs beat Vanes Martirosyan 159 lbs by KO at 1:53 in round 2 of 12
- Date: 2018-05-05
- Location: StubHub Center, Carson, California, USA
- Judge: Alejandro Rochin
- Referee: Jack Reiss
- Judge: Steve Morrow
- Judge: Barry Lindenman
- WBA Super World Middleweight Title (19th defence by Golovkin)
- WBC World Middleweight Title (4th defence by Golovkin)
- IBO World Middleweight Title (17th defence by Golovkin)
- Promoters: Gennady Golovkin (GGG Promotions), Don King (Don King Productions)
- Ring Announcer: Joe Martinez
- Aired On: HBO World Championship Boxing (Main Event)
Golovkin successfully defended his WBA and WBC titles with a second round KO over WBC #1 light middleweight contender Martirosyan. Good action in the first with both fighters landing flush powerful blows, Gennady mostly head hunting & Vanes with hooks to the body. More of the same in the second as both fighters went toe to toe, a good combination on the ropes finished the light middleweight contender. As Martirosyan was on his way down he was hit with a hard right hook on the moment his left knee made contact with the canvas. Very much flirting with a potential disqualification had a more conservative referee was working that night. Time was 1:53.
- Promoter Tom Loeffler regarding IBF title: “Gennady still has the title, it’s not sanctioned by IBF but they are not going to strip him,”.
- Despite Golovkin's last consecutive four fights where fractions of his overall titles collection was at stake. It was still his 20th title fight where he successfully defended a minimum of one major belt. Therefore technically equaling Bernard Hopkins record of 20 successful middleweight title defenses. We have to consider than the first five WBA title fights were with Felix Sturm as superchampion, above him. From october 2012, Gennady Golovkin was the top of the WBA and since then he has defended the top title fifteen times.
- WBC commemorative belt "Bats Il Ajaw" on the line, crafted by Indios from the Mexican State of Chiapas.
- Attendance: 7,837.
- Golovkin earned $1 million for the fight, Martirosyan earned $225,000.
- CompuBox Punchstats.