Sergey Kovalev vs. Eleider Alvarez (2nd meeting)
Eleider Alvarez 175 lbs lost to Sergey Kovalev 174 lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Date: 2019-02-02
- Location: The Ford Center at The Star, Frisco, Texas, USA
- Referee: Luis Pabon
- Judge: Levi Martinez 112-116
- Judge: Jesse Reyes 112-116
- Judge: Lisa Giampa 108-120
- Supervisor: Michael Pernick
- WBO World Light Heavyweight Title (1st defense by Alvarez)
- Promoters: Bob Arum (Top Rank), Kathy Duva (Main Events), Sergey Kovalev (Krusher Promotions), Yvon Michel (GYM Promotions)
- Ring Announcer: Jimmy Lennon Jr.
- Aired On: Top Rank Boxing on ESPN (Main Event)
Sergey Kovalev regained his WBO world light heavyweight title, fighting the best technical bout of his career. Kovalev, by his own admission, went back to his amateur style, jabbing, then throwing right hands, settling down and then going back to boxing basics as taught to him by new trainer Buddy McGirt and physical conditioning coach Teddy Cruz, more of a mental game plan than a physical one. Kovalev listened to his corner. Commentators Andre Ward, Timothy Bradley and commentator Max Kellerman all acknowledged Kovalev's transition from bully to boxer. McGirt got it right, having Kovalev "Box beautifully, just box."
Ringside writers gave Kovalev every round except the third. Alvarez loaded up on the power counter right all night, but rarely landed any consistent offensive attack. Bradley also noted Kovalev overtrained for his previous bout with Alvarez, but on this occasion his stamina was solid. Fine job by referee Luis Pabon, breaking clinches, stopping headlocks, keeping the bout clean throughout. Scoring appeared neutral and fair. Both fighters emerged from the championship bout in top condition.
- Kovalev entered the fight as the WBO #6 light heavyweight contender.
- According to Compubox, Kovalev landed 213 of 816 punches (26 percent), and Alvarez connected on 111 of 369 (30 percent).