Ezzard Charles vs. Jersey Joe Walcott (1st meeting)
(Redirected from Fight:23156)Jump to navigation Jump to search
Ezzard Charles 182 lbs beat Jersey Joe Walcott 196 lbs by UD in round 15 of 15
- Date: 1949-06-22
- Location: Comiskey Park, Chicago, Illinois, USA
- Referee: Davy Miller 77-73
- Judge: Franklin Spike McAdams 78-72
- Judge: Harold Marovitz 78-72
- National Boxing Association World Heavyweight Championship (Vacant title)
- Birds-eye view of bout
- Tale of the Tape
- Charles and Walcott each received 25 percent of the receipts, and the International Boxing Club, which promoted the fight, received 50 percent. 
- A crowd of 25,932 paid $246,546.
- The NBA World Heavyweight Championship had become vacant with the retirement of Joe Louis, who personally selected Charles and Walcott as the two most eligible heavyweights to fight for the title. 
- The New York State Athletic Commission, British Board of Boxing Control, European Boxing Union, and Ring Magazine did not recognize the winner as World Heavyweight Champion.
- Charles received recognition by the state of New York and Ring Magazine after he defeated Joe Louis in September 1950, and he received universal recognition after Louis knocked out Lee Savold, the BBBofC World Heavyweight Champion, in June 1951.