Anthony Joshua vs. Andy Ruiz Jr.
(Redirected from Fight:2327776)Jump to navigation Jump to search
Anthony Joshua lost to Andy Ruiz Jr by TKO at 1:27 in round 7 of 12
- Date: 2019-06-01
- Location: Madison Square Garden, New York, New York, USA
- Judge: Michael Alexander 56-57
- Judge: Pasquale Procopio 57-56
- Judge: Julie Lederman 56-57
- Referee: Michael Griffin
- Ruiz down in third round. Joshua down twice in third round and twice in seventh round.
- Ringside DAZN commentator Sugar Ray Leonard's comments echoed respect for Ruiz' victory, and the concept that in the ring, anything can happen at any time: “This is a surprise to boxing fans and the world. You (Andy) are the epitome of don’t judge a book by his cover. I am impressed. Ruiz fought like a big man, and fought like Joshua should have. Andy, you proved all of us wrong, and that’s why I love boxing.”
- Promoter Eddie Hearn and Joshua both noted that a mandatory rematch clause would be exercised in the United Kingdom in either November or December of 2019. "One hundred percent (we will fight a rematch in the UK next)," noted Joshua.
- WBA, WBO, IBF and the IBO world heavyweight titles were at stake.
- Ruiz was a late replacement for Jarrell Miller, who failed multiple drug tests.