Sugar Ray Robinson vs. Gene Fullmer (1st meeting)
(Redirected from Fight:23541)Jump to navigation Jump to search
Sugar Ray Robinson 160 lbs lost to Gene Fullmer 157 lbs by UD in round 15 of 15
- Date: 1957-01-02
- Location: Madison Square Garden, New York, New York, USA
- Referee: Ruby Goldstein 5-8
- Judge: Frank Forbes 5-10
- Judge: Harold Barnes 6-9
- World Middleweight Championship (2nd defense of 3rd reign by Robinson)
- Photo #2
- Robinson was a 6-5 favorite.
- There was a crowd of 18,934.
- The gross gate was $194,696 and the net gate was $166,422.
- Robinson received 47½ percent of the net gate, plus $60,000 from television and radio. His total purse was $139,050.
- Fullmer received 12½ percent of the net gate, which was $20,802. He didn't get any of the television and radio money.
- Fullmer put Robinson down for a six-count in the seventh round.
- Robinson suffered a cut over his left eye.
Unofficial Press Row Scorecards (all for Fullmer)
- Associated Press: 9-6
- United Press: 9-6
- Elyria Chronicle Telegram: 8-5-2
- New York Herald Tribune: 8-7
- Ogden Standard-Examiner: 10-5